Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Lafayette Foods

Default Lafayette Foods

It has almost been a year since Lafayette Foods had opened to serve the community. What evaluation would you give Lafayette Foods? I feel that it is very convenience for picking up quick items for the evening meal. Dollar General is proving to be a good quick stop shop also. That store just need someone at the front at all times.

On a scale of 1-10:

Selection - 8
    Freshness- 6
    Service - 10
    Cleanliness- 9
    Hours - 7

Overall, Lafayette is a very decent grocery store with very nice staff. I only suggest you check expiration dates on some of the perishable foods.

Very nice store! I live out in Rochester, and when I came downtown the other week and stopped in, I found it to be clean with fresh food, and very friendly staff.

I live in Troy and work at the Ren Cen and I'm constantly looking for a grocery store along my route home from work. I'll have to give it a try.

i rate it 8 overall.
    its convenient and keeps decent hours.
    selection is ok not deep and not too light but sometimes produce is not great. most items price right and never had any major issues.
    wish they sold beer!?!?
    easy parking.

Tell Lance if you find some products that are out of date. He probably will put fresher produce on the shelves and in the freezers. I wish that he let the downtown community know that he exist. Many offices downtown have office parties and will need a market close by to by items from. That mall need a security guard post in one of the empty storefronts. More stores will move into the mall once they feel that their customers are safe

Lafayette Foods is the most well-rounded grocery store near downtown. I can get 90% of everything I want there and their prices are competitive. University Market seems to have the largest selection of shelf items [[more brands), but it lacks significantly in other areas. Honeybee has, bar none, the freshest produce of any grocery store I've shopped in ever. I do not know what their secret is. However, because Honeybee caters to a specific demographic, the scope of their products is narrow. Nonetheless, their homemade guacamole draws me in more than once a month. Eve's Produce on Washington Blvd is the most convenient to walk to, but it is also the most limited given that it is a bodega-style store. I do not care for the grocery store on Jefferson near Indian Village. Their selection was limited and quality not up to my standards, but if I lived in that neighborhood, I would probably shop there for at least the basics. Overall, each serves its purpose and has its place.
    Last edited by BrushStart; April-18-12 at 12:29 AM.

Lafayette Parker here. Lafayette Foods is a very nice place, clean, has what I need. My only problem is the prices. So sometimes I will just go nextdoor to shop.

I have three basic food destinations. Indian Village on Jeff, Aldis @ Alter Mack & Eastern Market. A couple other places I would go for deli have or are closing. I'll miss Muliers in GPP. I forgot we do a bit of shopping in Hantramck too.

I get the flyers for Layfeyette Market, I'll give them a try.

Forgot, once in a blue moon I'll go to Harbortown their prices are insanely expensive but do have those few rare/hard to find items I need on occaision

One Saturday several weeks ago while passing their deli counter [[with no intention of buying anything) I noticed they had chicken pot pies, so I bought one. It was delicious!!
    The next week I went back for a couple more. That day they did not have chicken ones [[but maybe beef or ham). When I told the counterman that I really had enjoyed my chicken pie the previous week, he said he'd make a couple up for me and they'd be ready in half an hour or so. He told me that he makes them up fresh in the store daily.
    I don't remember the exact cost, but they are very reasonable. And as I've said, delicious!

I love how close Lafayette foods is to my work. I have been there a few times now and love the deli. I spoke to Lance in management about a certain turkey breast I liked and the very next week it was in stock. A+ on making the customer number 1!

I am glad that Lafayette Foods had remained a simple a practical market instead of being the type of market that sell liquor. Liquor only breeds trouble and troublemakers who would hang around the market panhandling or harrassing customers. Lance have to make sure that his meats, dairy, and other items stay fresh and updated. Let the downtown work, live, and play crowd know that he exist.

Good point re. Liquor sales... in certain areas it does breed a bad scene ala the 'likka' store vibe of vagrancy. I will have to check this store out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am glad that Lafayette Foods had remained a simple a practical market instead of being the type of market that sell liquor. Liquor only breeds trouble and troublemakers who would hang around the market panhandling or harrassing customers. Lance have to make sure that his meats, dairy, and other items stay fresh and updated. Let the downtown work, live, and play crowd know that he exist.

HT is insanely expensive and sorta low-rent feel all at the same time. What is their problem? I've been a captive audience to go in there maybe twice in 10 years on my way to Belle Isle needing to get something there I forgot to get elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Forgot, once in a blue moon I'll go to Harbortown their prices are insanely expensive but do have those few rare/hard to find items I need on occaision

You may be right about the unsavory characters that hang around liquor stores, though I think liquor at a grocery store is a bit different [[Honeybees seems to manage, though they don't have hard liquors). I don't think it was a decision on Lafayette Food's part to not have alchohol either since I remember the owner commenting on another thread in Dyes that he was just having trouble getting a license. Shame, since grocey shopping is just something I do when I need to buy more beer. I've been to Lafayette nonetheless and do agree that it was quite nice.

I really like Lance and his staff. Also, one of our great neighborhood kids works there. I would say that their main issue is the freshness of their produce [[which would be better if more people shopped there or they carried less). I'm very glad that they don't have liquor. We are too close to the liquor store on Chene already. Beer and wine are quite enough and they may lose my business in gaining the liquor crowd/panhandlers/weed salesmen.

Selection - 7
    Freshness- 6
    Service - 10
    Cleanliness- 9
    Hours - 9

LOL @ Dollar General. I had to take my bike in with me the other day and I didn't think it rude because I was just buying candy which is very near the front door. Little did I know the bell on my bike would come in handy as I had to wait five minutes for someone to feel like ringing me out--no pun intended.

1. Honey Bee – The best – only complaint = always seems to be out or low on Diet Coke – what’s up with that?
      2. Lafayette – the most convenient for me- quick in and out – bought some great steaks there a few weeks back
      3. Harbor Town – when I’m on that side of town- easy in and out
      4. Eve’s – I can walk there – good when I’m in a pinch
      5. Meijer [[Allen Park/Dearborn) – My wife makes me go there – I hate it!!
      6. Whole Foods [[Somewhere in Los Angeles) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    One Saturday several weeks ago while passing their deli counter [[with no intention of buying anything) I noticed they had chicken pot pies, so I bought one. It was delicious!!
    The next week I went back for a couple more. That day they did not have chicken ones [[but maybe beef or ham). When I told the counterman that I really had enjoyed my chicken pie the previous week, he said he'd make a couple up for me and they'd be ready in half an hour or so. He told me that he makes them up fresh in the store daily.
    I don't remember the exact cost, but they are very reasonable. And as I've said, delicious!
    how big are they? internal crust or no? what kind of veggies inside?

Hello my name is Lance I would like to thank everyone on behalf of Lafayette Foods for your kind/constructive words. Lafayette Foods is extremely happy to hear the great feedback you all have to share. I would like to inform everyone that we have been trying to get beer and wine since we’ve opened and sometime in the beginning of May Lafayette Foods should be fully stocked with domestic and imported beers and wines. Also we got word that the Pharmacy received its final licensing and should be opening soon inside Lafayette Foods. We chooses not to sell any liquor or tobacco products. We will keep trying our best to keep the store up to par cleanliness, freshness, and most importantly customer service. If anyone has any requests for products let us know and we will try our best to have it that same week. If anyone has any problems feel free to address me about any situation, I will make sure it gets corrected! We are here for the people, we want everyone to have the best shopping experience every time you walk in to Lafayette Foods. If you have not been to Lafayette Foods stop in and check us out!!!!! Thank You all and we look forward to seeing you.

Lance, Will you carry craft/micro beers? That would be awesome and I think you would do really well with beers such as bells which is also a Michigan brewery!

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteFoods View Post
    Hello my name is Lance I would like to thank everyone on behalf of Lafayette Foods for your kind/constructive words. Lafayette Foods is extremely happy to hear the great feedback you all have to share. I would like to inform everyone that we have been trying to get beer and wine since we’ve opened and sometime in the beginning of May Lafayette Foods should be fully stocked with domestic and imported beers and wines. Also we got word that the Pharmacy received its final licensing and should be opening soon inside Lafayette Foods. We chooses not to sell any liquor or tobacco products. We will keep trying our best to keep the store up to par cleanliness, freshness, and most importantly customer service. If anyone has any requests for products let us know and we will try our best to have it that same week. If anyone has any problems feel free to address me about any situation, I will make sure it gets corrected! We are here for the people, we want everyone to have the best shopping experience every time you walk in to Lafayette Foods. If you have not been to Lafayette Foods stop in and check us out!!!!! Thank You all and we look forward to seeing you.
    Make your presence known downtown. Many office workers had been wondering if there were a grocery store nearby. Some of them may want to fresh fruits, vegetables, or beverages for a good price. There will be office parties where employees will be looking for a good grocery store that is nearby with plenty of parking where the employees could jump out of their cars, go into the market to buy goods that is needed, and drive back to there workplaces within a certain time and not have to worry about paying a meter while in the market. Have breakfast sandwiches fresh and hot for commuters to grab and go on their way to work. Especially for the teachers, and outside workers who work in the area. Send out flyers to the downtown area. Keep your meats and dairy products fresh. Get rid of old out dated goods if you have them. I think that your first year was a good one. Kudos to you for keeping your store clean, shelves full, and cashiers available and professional. I don't care for liquor for the crowd that it draws. I would rather that the money that will be used for liquor be used to help maintain goods and services. Also a security guard

Make your presence known downtown. Many office workers had been wondering if there were a grocery store nearby. Some of them may want to fresh fruits, vegetables, or beverages for a good price. There will be office parties where employees will be looking for a good grocery store that is nearby .....
    Any thoughts on doing deliveries to offices and possibly condos/apartments?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I second the question. I’d love to be able to send my grocery list [[via email) and have it delivered to my place at a set time. I would be willing to pay a slightly higher price for that type of convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That is a good idea. I hope that Lance is reading all of these inovative ideas.