Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Georgia "Sweet Georgia" Street

Everything goes through life cycles and growing pains. Sounds like Cub has had many trials and tribulations.

DY has been been good to the gardens and the lack of info on the gardens here hasn't been helpful. Lots of questions, like, how did the garage sale go? Will there be another one? Did Cub get the flat of Celery I left? Has Reading Night resumed? What plants are still being looked for? What is the status on the community center? Has anyone tried to schedule volunteer days? I have many more questions?

Please update garden info! I can't help if I don't know what is going on.

Isn't there a 'Georgia Street Community Collective" thread for this?

First, let us apologize for the lack of information. We have gone through some changes in the last couple of months and it has left a void in the communication department. For those who know her, VivaDetroit [[Tammy) has left our Board of Directors. Her position on the Board was Chairperson of Media/Internet/Communication. We had to make some changes to cover this very important area.

I am trying to get up to speed with everything, with Cub's help. We have recently signed up with a new website hosting company and I am in the process of designing a new website that will be very easy for us to update on a regular basis, and for the supporters of GSCC to read and follow along.

As I have said before, Cub has been very busy working diligently in the gardens [[3 of them now) and has little time to keep up with the internet postings. Unfortunately, he has not received a lot of physical help with the work. Also...Cub recently got married...and you know those newlyweds!

We did try to have a Reading Night on June 6th and June 13th. The weather didn't cooperate and the kids didn't show up. Hopefully, this Saturday will be nice and we can have a reading and movie. Again, I will be out of town [[visiting my 93 yr old father for Father's Day and before he has major surgery next week). If anyone would like to volunteer to help Cub out on Saturday nights, everyone is welcome.

The Yard Sale/Bake Sale went pretty well considering we had a cold wind and some rain until about 2:00pm. We raised about $300 between the sales and cash donations. We do have quite a bit of stuff left over and will be holding another one on Saturday, June 27th from 12:00 Noon to 6:00pm. Additional donations of yard sale items and/or baked goods are welcomed. As with the last one, we will also be selling hot dogs, chips and pop. We have some great items for sale...please come by and do a little shopping!

What GSCC could use most right now is a person who knows how to write grants that is willing to donate their time [[or work out a reasonable arrangement for payment) to help us obtain a grant for construction of the Community Center and Market. We have attempted to write some on our own, but have not been successful and need someone who is more adept at it than we are.

Please remember that the Board of Directors is comprised of 7 volunteers who donate every minute possible to this organization and its mission. We are doing the best we can. Please have a little patience with us while we work out the kinks. Watch for the announcement of our new website within a week or so.

Also...Cub recently got married
    Congrats to Cub and his Mrs.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Congrats to Cub and his Mrs.
    Same here--that's great news!

Hello everyone!
    Let me explain what has been going on and other things. May 21st I got married to a wonderful woman who has been very helpful with my vision. She even gets her hands dirty in the garden LOL. I have been trying to work on the gardens and trying to get money for the community center/store. I get emails and phone calls weekly from people wanting to meet with me and help with [[possible) funding that 90% of the time turns out to be a waste of time. I set a goal this winter to get us on the Detroit Agriculture Garden Tour in August. The Orchard has a new look and the garden has 18 raised beds [[ I would like 15 more). Alot of the ground we planted in last season has been turned into my own soil remediation site. Next year I should be able to plant and expect a bountiful harvest. Lots of composting material has been dropped off at the garden for this. Thanks to VivaDetroit who came up with the idea to get the neighbors to give us their composting materials plus a landscaper.
    I tried to set up a volunteer day and I couldnt hold to the time I set [[Thank You Davemarc and I am sorry if I inconvenieced you). Mondays and Thursdays will be the set volunteer days. 6:30 till Dusk.
    Sumas darling, Yes I got the celery thank you. Mom planted it and its doing very well. We are still in need of collards and cabbage. So far this year I have been amazed by the strawberry bed. I am going to have to expand it to another two or three beds. They are spreading rapidly and are very sweet.
    Reading night and movie night has not been successful yet. Some parents didnt think we would start it up so close to school letting out and not to mention the weather [[last year we started in July I believe). I also have a guy from the neighborhhood who wants to do some jazz poetry. It will be in between reading and movie night. We will also have some kareoke[[sp) nights. Dates will be posted.
    Thank You again DY. I aam trying to get used to the new forum. It doesnt help not having the time to get familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    Hello everyone!
    May 21st I got married to a wonderful woman who has been very helpful with my vision.
    Cub - I have not read the rest of your post yet!!! OMG! Congratulations to you both from me and Mr. Eriedearie! He's gone to the store right now but I'll tell him when he gets back. I'm thrilled for you - and I gotta meet your bride.

Congrats to you both,Good to hear that things are moving forward.I'll try and stop by tomorrow night,I'll be downtown all day,so your on the way home. Dave

LodgeDodger Guest

Everyone, what do you say we plan a little wedding celebration in Cub's and Mrs. Cub's honor?

Had a chance to meet Mr. and Mrs. Covington this afternoon. She is a very sweet woman and we wish thwn both the very best.

Congrats Cub you are a braver man then I.And I know there isn't ever enuff time

Yes Alley, I know there is a thread for Georgia Street but with no info coming through I thought connections was a good way to kick start some information. It worked.

A great example, I now know, that the garden needs Collards, no problem, can probably deliver Saturday or Sunday. How about Rhubarb?

Met Ms. Cub today, she is as nice, as she is beautiful. Cub will have to share hugs with volunteers now. Congratulations to both of them. She is westside, he is eastside. They mirror our marriage, we are going on 35 years of marriage and I hope they have the strong beliefs, similar interests and love we have shared. If someone wants to do an impromptu celebration after the fact I will bring an ethnic wedding cake. Very good, a spice cake with a cream cheese icing!

Yard Sale/Bake Sale is on Again!

Saturday, June 27th - 12:00 Noon to 6:00 p.m.
    9352 Georgia Street - Detroit

Lots of items for sale! Fresh Baked Goods! Hot Dogs, Chips & drink

Donations of clothing, household goods and bake sale items are welcomed! Please e-mail us at georgiast313 at yahoo dot com and let us know if you have items to donate and when you will be dropping them off.

Perhaps a little wedding celebration could occur on that date? Unfortunately, I will be out of town as my 93-yr-old father has to have surgery on the 26th in Grand Rapids...so I will be staying there for a couple of days. Lodgedodger, if you could maybe handle this, I would be eternally grateful.

Please come to our Yard Sale/Bake Sale and help us raise the funds necessary to work on the Community Center/Market.

detmich Guest

Cub, congratulations on your wedding. please give your bride my sincerest best wishes.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Yard Sale/Bake Sale is on Again!

Saturday, June 27th - 12:00 Noon to 6:00 p.m.
    9352 Georgia Street - Detroit

Lots of items for sale! Fresh Baked Goods! Hot Dogs, Chips & drink

Donations of clothing, household goods and bake sale items are welcomed! Please e-mail us at georgiast313 at yahoo dot com and let us know if you have items to donate and when you will be dropping them off.

Perhaps a little wedding celebration could occur on that date? Unfortunately, I will be out of town as my 93-yr-old father has to have surgery on the 26th in Grand Rapids...so I will be staying there for a couple of days. Lodgedodger, if you could maybe handle this, I would be eternally grateful.

Please come to our Yard Sale/Bake Sale and help us raise the funds necessary to work on the Community Center/Market.
    I'm not available until after the week of July 13th--lots of goings-on at home. Anytime after that, I'd be happy to organize.

Anyone else?

I've already congratulated you on another site but what the heck, congrats again, Cub.

I was hoping to bring my donations for the next sale over last week but I am without a car at the moment. Major problems! I'm hoping it will be road-worthy within the next week - I have some nice things in boxes that are cluttering my entryway and I really wish to contribute!

LodgeDodger Guest

Bump.

Shall we set a date [[sometime in July) to celebrate the Cub Family's wedding?

LodgeDodger...can you e-mail Cub and find out if one weekend is better than the other for them? I suggest we do it just before a Reading Night...Saturday seems to be a pretty good day for everyone. Maybe we could so a late afternoon celebration, then those who want to can stick around for Reading/Movie Night. Sound good to anyone?

That is what I love about this site. I too was kinda worried about Cub then he gets hitched. This shows that weather of not we agree on things the people on here are good folks. Hats off to ya'll.

LodgeDodger, if you want to organize a garden party for Cub and his wife, we will be there. It is so nice of you to plan this. Assuming a dinner is planned I can bring cake, a salad and a hot potato dish. If you want to do appetizers only, count us in for cake, and two appetizers, one hot, one cold. Post the agreed upon date and let us all know needed items.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    LodgeDodger...can you e-mail Cub and find out if one weekend is better than the other for them? I suggest we do it just before a Reading Night...Saturday seems to be a pretty good day for everyone. Maybe we could so a late afternoon celebration, then those who want to can stick around for Reading/Movie Night. Sound good to anyone?
    Will do! Saturday is generally good for most. I'll ask Cub and Mrs. Cub for a date and we can go from there. Everyone, stay tuned!

If Mother's up to it, I might even bring her along.

Congrats to Cub and his lady!!! So glad to know that the quiet on the Garden thread was for a good reason! Will watch for a Celebration date and will try to make it out if at all possible.

Thank you everyone! Also thank you for the thinking of me and my new wife but a wedding celebration is not nessecary. I love you guys.

LodgeDodger Guest

Of course it's not necessary! What can be better than a bunch of friends getting together for a celebration?

Check out our new website! www.georgiastreetcc.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast