Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe stocking merchandise

While driving by YOBS late this afternoon I noticed signs of life as people were inside stocking some dry-good merchandise on the shelving units on the Watson side of the building near the parking lot doors. I stopped and talked with one of the people who indicated he was one of the owners and are projecting a early June opening.

Interesting...I did drive by about two weeks ago early in the morning and saw a guy walking through...

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    That article looks like it was from two years ago. It says it was from May-June 2010.

Nonetheless, I really do hope they open.

What's going on with the lofts above the place? I believe they were called the Crytal lofts at one point.

I guess Whole Foods is putting the pressure on ?

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    What's going on with the lofts above the place? I believe they were called the Crytal lofts at one point.
    As far as I know, the remaining units are being finished out for sale or rental. Try contacting the management company if interested.
    http://sg-companies.com/properties.html

Who is the owner of this market. Why had it taken so long for him to start stocking up? Does he has good business since? I would shop at his market more than I would Whole Foods if he get on the ball. His prices would be a lot cheaper.

I think there were some lawsuits and also some building damage impacting the family who own this store and it delayed their startup

talked to the owner a few months back... they had water damage and waiting on insurance company to finalize things

Any updates on this place? When is it supposed to open?

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Any updates on this place? When is it supposed to open?
    I've long thought this place would never open. Now a Whole Foods is opening a few blocks away. If they do indeed ever open they need to be able to differentiate themselves from WF and offer a unique product. One rather radical idea would be staying open very late [[midnight or later) / 24hr and offering a product mix that caters to young people [[good prices, lots of ready-made stuff but healthy/organic, lots of healthy snacks, etc). There are many stores like this in major urban cities, but not Detroit. Problem is that there isn't much density in that little area around YOBS, so that concept might work better in Downtown proper or closer to WSU.

I would hope that the WSU population would be able to walk or bike the 2 or 3 blocks to frequent it, though.

Stromberg2

I think whole foods will be open before ye olde butcher shoppe ! :-)
    We've been waiting too long and I think YOBS has missed their opportunity .