Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Crime Commission Going After Abandoned Building Owners

From article: "In order to attack the street crime, you've got to find out why the street crime is developing. Where's it coming from? They've got to have a hiding place to do it," says Rose Daniels."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...rs-20120413-ms

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    From article: "In order to attack the street crime, you've got to find out why the street crime is developing. Where's it coming from? They've got to have a hiding place to do it," says Rose Daniels."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...rs-20120413-ms
    So, who are their anonymous donors? This isn't passing the smell test.

IF this is modeled after the Chicago Crime Commission [[ and it seems to be) then I say hooray! See wikipedia for CCC which was initiated by and funded by Chicago business community sick of crime.

This is as stupid as some of those rules regarding child support payments.

If the all the owners of buildings which are currently vacant could afford to have the building secured/renovated obviously they would do that rather than have a non performing asset that attracts ENORMOUS property tax which subsequently gets misspent.

The main thing we will learn from this is that the main holder of abadoned buildings are the city of Detroit and Wayne County..... Guess who aren't going to be prosecuted by the commission?

People don't seem to realize this in Detroit but I've seen it happen on a smaller scale in Flint.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=7459251

She concludes that the Land Bank, which now controls more than 2,000 structures and 5,000 lots across the county, is operating as a slumlord. "They're the biggest slumlord in the city. They pay no taxes, there's nobody living there."
    Last edited by riviera; April-15-12 at 07:01 PM.

I am still wondering what the Department of Adminstrative Hearings does? In my opinion, that should be dismantled and powers given over to the police department.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am still wondering what the Department of Adminstrative Hearings does? In my opinion, that should be dismantled and powers given over to the police department.
    I know it's off topic, but I just can't help myself. I'm wondering why the Detroit Police Department needs 65 employees to process payroll. Even at $25,000 per year, that's over $750,000 + pension and health care costs.

Somehow I can't imagine that Paychex or ADP would cost that much, though I'm willing to be proven wrong.

the owners of all eyesores need to be called out..

Occurrence Guest

How is this suppose to work?

The city of Detroits owns countless abandoned properties. Are they going to be writing tickets to themselves?