Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Motorcycle accident on April 5th at Fort st and Shelby

I was walking down Fort just before 5 on the 5th when I saw two guys riding "crotch rockets" [[very fast motorcycles) heading down the street from Griswald. The lead motorcycle reved the engine and shot down the street and then the guy decided to pop a wheelie. Just as I was past Shelby and a van was between me and street, I heard this loud screetch and then a bang and I saw debris flying everywhere. I quickly turned to see what had happened and apparently a van was making a legal left turn onto Shelby from Fort st and the idiot motorcycle rider rammed right into the side of the van. The motorcycle was in pieces and the front wheel was ripped right off. People rushed to the riders aid and police showed up a few minutes after, followed by an ambulence. Amazingly the guy was not dead considering that he litteraly punched a whole in the van and was thrown from the bike with such force that he lost both shoes. I checked all the news sources but saw nothing about it. Anyone know what happened to the guy?

I only know his friend's name was Helmut...

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    I was walking down Fort just before 5 on the 5th when I saw two guys riding "crotch rockets" [[very fast motorcycles) heading down the street from Griswald. The lead motorcycle reved the engine and shot down the street and then the guy decided to pop a wheelie. Just as I was past Shelby and a van was between me and street, I heard this loud screetch and then a bang and I saw debris flying everywhere. I quickly turned to see what had happened and apparently a van was making a legal left turn onto Shelby from Fort st and the idiot motorcycle rider rammed right into the side of the van. The motorcycle was in pieces and the front wheel was ripped right off. People rushed to the riders aid and police showed up a few minutes after, followed by an ambulence. Amazingly the guy was not dead considering that he litteraly punched a whole in the van and was thrown from the bike with such force that he lost both shoes. I checked all the news sources but saw nothing about it. Anyone know what happened to the guy?
    I may be misunderstanding [[not uncommon!), but did the motorcycle run a stop sign or a red light? If the van was turning left, did he cut out in front of traffic that had the right of way?

Every year recently, at right about this time of year, these sport bike idiots come out and rip around our streets with their ultra loud motorcycles acting a fool all over the city.

I've had groups of them fly by me on both sides of my car at insane speeds, seen them weaving in and out of traffic and cutting between lanes in a ridiculously dangerous way, watched them do wheelies and other adolescent stunts on open public streets in traffic, and been woken out of sound sleep in the middle of the night by the roaring sound of a group of them screaming down the street sounding like someone's running a 2 AM Formula One race right outside my building.

It's hard for me to gloat about someone's potential death or injury, especially when a person just going about their business is involved [[as is almost always the case), but I will admit to having had the angry passing thought more than once that I sure wouldn't mind if some of these guys took themselves out and destroyed their little idiot overgrown kiddie toys with their foolishness, like this guy apparently did.

Of course, if I was actually on the scene, like the original poster, I'd feel compelled to run over and help the heedless rider anyway. Such is life in the human community, and more than once I've come to the aid of people hurt by their own foreseeably stupid actions. But the one I'd feel most sorry for is the guy with the hole in the side of his van, whose day has just been ruined by a selfish immature fool.

Well, if he had pulled that stunt just a few days later, there certainly would've been a new organ donor in the city.

Yes, the optional helmet law is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of in my life. And now we'll have to dedicate more time to scraping idiot's brains off the street.

I swear that sometimes I think our civilization is going backwards...

What will Lansing do next? Legalize monkey knife-fights?
    Name:  monkeyknifefight.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  33.4 KB

Snyder is such a dumb a_ _ He doesn't care if insurance premiums go up, because he's rich and can afford it. For the average Joe, the increases are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Every year recently, at right about this time of year, these sport bike idiots come out and rip around our streets with their ultra loud motorcycles acting a fool all over the city.
    A few times last summer I was on I-75 doing around 65-70 mph and these idiots were flying by me like I was standing still. It's unbelievable how fast they were going. I think it's just a matter of time before they cause an accident. If that happens I just hope they take themselves out and not some innocent person.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Snyder is such a dumb a_ _ He doesn't care if insurance premiums go up, because he's rich and can afford it. For the average Joe, the increases are huge.
    Everyone in Michigan is rich. That's why people want to drive cars and not have mass transit.

It's amazing what the human body can survive. Have you seen those people that get thrown off rollercoasters and come away with minor injuries. Crazy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    Everyone in Michigan is rich. That's why people want to drive cars and not have mass transit.

It's amazing what the human body can survive. Have you seen those people that get thrown off rollercoasters and come away with minor injuries. Crazy stuff
    Yeah, ok Mr Sarcasm.

You can't pass laws requiring common sense.

I agree with noise. I don't understand the exact locations of the vehicles, but if the van turned left immediately prior to this then it sounds like there is fault with the van no matter what.

I agree some of these motorcyclists are menaces, but when spring comes it's important for the rest of us to remember to look twice.
    Last edited by cloud_wall; April-14-12 at 08:32 PM. Reason: forgot a word