Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Injured at Mi Central

http://www.freep.com/article/2012041...text|FRONTPAGE

Young man of 20-ish took a basement dive, EMS called by GF?

Guy is supposedly gonna be ok......good for that.

Matty should get the bill for the rescue and the medical.

Kids should get tickets for trespassing.

Ownership has its liabilities...it is way past time that we call him on abandoning that building...

Matty ought get a bill for a lot more than that Gannon....but, sadly we both know it's not going to happen.

Matty should get a bill for the building's rehab, perhaps. But it's clearly posted that you are trespassing. Let the kid get a ticket for trespassing, and pay his own bills. Breaking and entering is not covered on anyone's insurance. Act like a jackass, pay like a jackass. Hope he turns out to be okay, of course.

I've climbed to the roof like 10 times, I always took a flashlight and was very careful. I wouldn't try it now, I think they have security? Maybe not.

Yeah there are a ton of pit falls around. A cell phone light is really not enough. I wonder where he fell exactly though. Knowing that basement he's lucky he ended up on dry ground and not in water... although then he pry could have swum to safety.

No sympathy from me for idiot lawbreakers. The building is secure these days and these idiots trying to get inside to take pictures know they are breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Ownership has its liabilities...it is way past time that we call him on abandoning that building...
    Nope. No matter how anyone feels about Matty, this kid pulled this dumb stunt. If anything, the young man should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The hope being that it will serve as an incentive to stay away from abandoned, dangerous buildings.

You want to trespass on property, hit eight mile. Yeah, that's exactly what I said.

I disagree that Matty should receive any bill. The trespassers ignored the NO TRESPASSING signs and ... trespassed.

Trespassing in MCS is incredibly reckless. It's good that the guy will be okay.

no way should matty get the bill for this!! mcs is sealed off pretty good...plus they have guards there 24/7. i'll admit i was inside the station, but that was in the mid 1990's...no fences or guards back then. nowadays...i wouldn't attempt it. glad the kid is going to be okay, but really...there's a hundred other aandonned buildings he could have gone into if he had the urge to explore. at least be smart about it--take a bigger flashlight or go during the day!!

Ugh... can't imagine swimming thru any thing in that basement. Talk about a toxic soup! No photos are worth this. I'll take exterior shots from afar rather than trespass.
    Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    Yeah there are a ton of pit falls around. A cell phone light is really not enough. I wonder where he fell exactly though. Knowing that basement he's lucky he ended up on dry ground and not in water... although then he pry could have swum to safety.

I was inside once 1978 dropping off my best friend after he was thrown
    out of school. Then HE WAS IN THE NAVY. I still have all his letters telling
    of his travel. He ate monkey brains in Africa. Maybe a Lebanon encounter.

I worked at a school next to ST ANNE'S church a complete remodel
    as far as i know MATTY foot the bill he did a walk through while
    we were working.

They should bill this idiot "explorer" for the cost of the rescue, the same way they should bill those idiots who get stuck on the ice on Lake St. Clair in the wintertime when they are warned that the ice isn't safe.

This guy is lucky to be alive.

^^^ Well yes, especially considering the city has few resources in this area...

I've been injured spelunking before. Fell into a basement atop a pile of scrap metal. My friend hauled me out and drove me home. Hurt for a few days. No big deal.

Sounds like these two were novices ...

Wrong.

I don't particularly care for MAtty Moroun either. However, from a purely legal perspective, this person was trespassing on private property. So after he eats up his medical expenses, Matty Moroun can then press legal charges on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Matty Moroun can then press legal charges on him.
    What charges? You damaged my 1913 brick shithouse that can't be destroyed by bombs with your scrawny 22-year-old body? What mirth ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What charges? You damaged my 1913 brick shithouse that can't be destroyed by bombs with your scrawny 22-year-old body? What mirth ...
    I used the wrong wording. Charges only apply to criminal cases. This is a civil trespassing and not a criminal trespassing.

The point was Matty Moroun can hold him liable for the legal infraction, which he did.

All I'm saying is the greatest jackass is the owner. He should be liable.

IF you want to stick by that statement...act like one, pay like one.

I fully understand the limitations and error of the legal wranglings.

I am talking the ETHICAL and actual cause of this 'accident'.

Yes, the ethical side of this issue does seem to emerge! Insane to have so many abandoned and vacant properties in the Detroit, that one being the biggest. What an ultimate slum lord Mr. M has been.

IANAL but I think Matty may still have had a Duty of Care. Of course, it would depend on Michigan Law. Apparently under UK Common Law he definitely would be liable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of...usually_exists

I fully understand the limitations and error of the legal wranglings.

I am talking the ETHICAL and actual cause of this 'accident'.
    Ethically, Matty Moroun is very much in the wrong, and even a jackass.

But you have to understand Matty Moroun is a businessman. A typical businessman avoids doing anything that would eat into the money they've earned, or will earn. Fact of the matter is, people will likely lose their money by investing their dollars into the city, and they won't lose their money if you don't risk investing it on something in which they won't receive a return on. The only way a businessman will do the ethical thing is when it doesn't cost them a dime, or when it's more expensive to do the unethical thing [[which is dependent on the laws set forth by the government entity that businessman has invested in and how well they enforce the laws set forth).

Fact of the matter too is, no matter how poorly the property is maintained, this is still America and since Matty Moroun owns the property and it's not open to the public, he does have the right to restrict who can and can not enter the property, and effectively seek for the punishment of whoever does enter his property without his permission.

For example, if someone is rummaging your home without permission broke their leg while inside, would you be going out of your way to pay his medical bills although he broke his leg trespassing property you own and he had no business in? If anything, you would want him punished to the fullest extent of the law as well if you caught him.

Now, if you want Matty Moroun to do something about MCS, then you need to place the blame solely on your leaders on CAYMC. If they're not going to force him to upkeep MCS by making it more expensive to NOT upkeep it, then he has no reason to upkeep if he feels it's going to be a waste of money to upkeep it.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-12-12 at 01:10 PM.

The 'blame' goes to the owner. He gets ALL the negative karma, too. This building is his albatross...his anchor. It can be a solid place to weather a storm, IF he allowed it, but he doesn't. So, it will sink him.

It may have been enabled by corrupt and BOUGHT leadership...but they don't get to take the blame away from him.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    IANAL but I think Matty may still have had a Duty of Care. Of course, it would depend on Michigan Law. Apparently under UK Common Law he definitely would be liable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of...usually_exists

Thanks for this...it is the thing I was supposed to learn today. Kudos...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast