Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default June 16, 2009 Tiger Stadium Demo

More aerial images of the Tiger Stadium Demo.

Attachment 1785

To see more taken today June 16, 2009
    Plese click the link: http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

Don, did you land your helicopter on my building the other day?

Always appreciate the pictures, FlyByDon...thanks for putting them up for all to see!

Looks like the ol' gal will be completely leveled within the next couple weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByDon View Post
    And then there was one.

Yay! Now that's what I call progress!

Another rubble-strewn vacant lot. Moving Detroit forward!!

I applaud the "development" work of the DEGC!

I saw that one of the machines has "Demolition Means Progress" written on the side. That should be Detroit's mantra. You go DEGC.

DEGC = Detroit Emptiness Growth Corporation?

The pie wedge building next to today's demo site - what building is that? I don't know if I've ever noticed that building before now! Either that, or I've never noticed it's shape. Just wondering?

BTW - great pics FlybyDon! Many thanks for posting them.

I asked about that in a different thread, Erie. Responses came back that it's been boarded up for years and is really in bad shape. I think it's an excellent example of late 19th century architecture. This from google street view:
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Thank you Ray!

I was probably too engrossed in just being near Tiger Stadium to ever notice that building.

I'm curious as to why it was built in that shape. How would one go about researching that?

BTW - sorry for the thread jack...my wondering mind is working overtime tonight!

cheddar bob Guest

That building was a bar in the summer of 1999, I know that for sure. Can't remember the name of it, something like Home Plate Lounge or something.

Pie shaped due to the angle that Cochran runs off of Michigan Avenue, Erie. Cochran used to be National Street before 1965 or so. Since the other buildings next to it faced Michigan squarely, the builder adaped the pie shaped footprint to construct the building.

Gosh, I'd love to be an urban explorer in that building!
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Don, thanks as always for the pics. How do you fly a plane and shoot photographs at the same time?

As I recall the pie shape building was the one that housed the green seats for sale about 30 years ago.Always love Dons photos

Many many years ago, back in the '60s into the early '70s, that building was the Stadium Bar. It was operated by a friend of my grandfather's, and he would stop in there [[and Hoot Robinson's on Trumbull) when going to a ballgame or the Gaelic League.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Don, did you land your helicopter on my building the other day?
    Not me..... I fly airplans.

http://www.aerialpics.com
    Last edited by FlyByDon; June-17-09 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Don, thanks as always for the pics. How do you fly a plane and shoot photographs at the same time?
    I’d like to keep this a trade secret. Let me say, I’m very busy but always in full control.

Thanks all for the input on the building. I would imagine a building such as that would present some interior challenges. Strange little thing. Next time I'm over that way I'll sneak in an up close look.

Another picture of the building, from the back. I took this in August 2006.

Attachment 1805

I for one, would like to see the original floor plan for that building, if simply because of the overhead door/loading dock.

That building was built sometime between 1884 and 1897, as it does not show on the Sanborn map for the earlier date [[in fact, there's almost nothing built north of Michigan then), but is there with a line of store buildings by the time of the later map. It shows on the 1921 Sanborn as a "2nd Hand" store, with some sort of repair shop on the second floor.

I think that overhead door on the side may have been added during its time as a big sports souvenir store in the '80s and '90s.

Damn, that's a beautiful old building! How many of you failed to notice the, uh, "urban gentleman" leaning against it?

Sorry for the threadjack, Don.....super photos of the demo. Appreciated.

heywood mccrakin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Yay! Now that's what I call progress!

Another rubble-strewn vacant lot. Moving Detroit forward!!
    Dumb question....If one of you felt that the stadium should have been kept up, why didnt you put up the money to save it?

Seems to me if there was a viable use for the old park, someone shouldd have put up the money, right?

Thanks to Cman for the great picture and thanks to EastsideAl for the bit of history! It is an intriguing building.

And Ray - the "urban gentleman" did not go unnoticed by me. He found a shady spot to take a break!

Sorry for the threadjack, Don.....super photos of the demo. Appreciated.
    No worries Ray, Good to see something distract from the loss of the stadium.

FlyBy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast