ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cornice work on old WSU building

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  photo[[1).jpg
Views: 729
Size:  44.1 KB

Noticed Grunwell Cashero pulling cornice off this building at Cass and York. The building appears to be vacant, and has been for some time. It has WSU all over it, so this is me assuming that it's owned by WSU.

Anyone know what the deal is?

WSU is replacing the roof.

Nothing exciting... oh wait - wrong roof building [[my bad) =)

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/2012/0...2_item%20t.pdf
    Last edited by belleislerunner; April-11-12 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    WSU is replacing the roof.

Nothing exciting...

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/2012/0...2_item%20t.pdf
    Wrong building... PCM is talking about a building on Cass north of I-94. The former Maccabees Building is 15 stories tall and getting a new roof.

Although I can't help you PCM, I vaguely remember that building housing one of the earliest Auto Dealerships in Detroit.

I recall that this was once Cadillac's office building.... the car company, not the man! WSU at one time had WDET, Public Safety, and the College of Lifelong Learning in this building.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I recall that this was once Cadillac's office building.... the car company, not the man! WSU at one time had WDET, Public Safety, and the College of Lifelong Learning in this building.
    The building has Cadillac logos engraved into the stone.

That was Cadillac's sales and service building [[their original plant is just a block away on Amsterdam). It's an Albert Kahn building, of course, and was the home of Wayne's criminal justice program for many years. The DPD also used it for police academy classes. I'm surprised to hear that it's empty, but it's nice to see work being done on it to maintain it. I wonder what WSU's future plans are for it.

That building is part of TechTown, I believe, which is a small business incubator.
    The old Dalgliesh Cadillac dealership across Cass is slated to become a new biomedical research building.