Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default His honor The Mayor's new digs on Keelson Dr

Yes its true Mayor Bing will take up residence at the end of Keelson Dr and forgo using the Manoogian Mansion.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009061...0615076/?imw=Y
    Last edited by PurpleHeart; June-16-09 at 03:22 PM.

I'm glad that he's not staying at the Manoogian. That is one thing I liked about Cockrel. It's time to pare down all the benefits elected officials receive from the city. They receive good salary so they can pay for a place to stay, clothes, food, cars, etc. No need for the city to pay them a salary plus take care of all their expenses too.

2blocksaway Guest

so you think since nobody is living in the mansion there is no money going to maintain it?

if he wins again in the fall why not live in the mansion?

i don't see anything wrong with it as long as he doesn't spend a ton redecorating it.

According to the article, Bing plans to generate income by using the Manoogian Mansion as a conference center, so that the costs of upkeep can be offset.

That's at least one good reason to elect someone who isn't overly blinded by the smell of money. K.Kilpatrick is a horny corrupt person, whether in Michigan or in Texas, he's going to be causing troubles eventually.

Both Cockrel and Bing appear to be solid leaders moving forward, as we continue to strive hard to forget the previous administration. Right now, the City Council needs to clean house. M.Conyers must go, no doubt about that.

Traded one house on the river for ..... another house on the river. Ohhh-kay,....

He probably had the place fumigated but still couldn't get the Kwame smell out of it.

Was it the smell of an overwhelming ego or the stench of corruption or did it smell fishy like everything else Kwame personally got involved in?

MIRepublic Guest

I guess why live in Franklin, when you can live in Franklin in Detroit, eh? He's always loved the river, though. Maybe, one day, he'll be able to move into the Watermark.

I don't like the idea of his renting the house. What sort of message does it send that he believes in the city enough to run for mayor, but not enough to actually buy a home in it?

Bing may only be mayor until January 1, 2010. No need to make a purchase of a home until he knows if he's going to be here for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Bing may only be mayor until January 1, 2010. No need to make a purchase of a home until he knows if he's going to be here for awhile.
    I would make this a campaign issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I don't like the idea of his renting the house. What sort of message does it send that he believes in the city enough to run for mayor, but not enough to actually buy a home in it?
    It doesn't make sense financially for him to buy a home in the city unless he is elected for a full term as mayor. Its highly likely that his home in Franklin is paid off or damn near paid off. Who are we to say that the house recently leased is not without option to buy, if he is elected for the long haul. Their are many reasons not to want to live in the City unless your job requires that of you.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    It doesn't make sense financially for him to buy a home in the city unless he is elected for a full term as mayor. Its highly likely that his home in Franklin is paid off or damn near paid off. Who are we to say that the house recently leased is not without option to buy, if he is elected for the long haul. Their are many reasons not to want to live in the City unless your job requires that of you.
    Yes but he is the freaking MAYOR OF THE CITY OF DETROIT not the janitor at Butzel Recreation Center! What kind of message does that send to the citizens of the city and the rest of the world when the mayor doesn't want to permanently live in the city he is leading? The paper said nothing about the option to buy or interest thereof.

Not to mention, a gated community? Yeah, really getting to know the City.
    Let's get a mayor who actually wants to live here, has faith enough in the City's future to settle down here, and has enough respect for the residents of the city to actually live among them.

So where exactly was Bing living before and during the election? Franklin?

Before and during the election he had a Detroit address/residence at a condo downtown and was obviously commuting to Franklin as a result of whatever agreement he and his wife devised.

Back to the topic of Bing leasing a home in Detroit, why would he purchase a home for a career position that may be temporary. Aren't elections being held in November? If he loses the race and enjoyed living in Franklin, why not return to that home. He has a business in Detroit, which is paying into the city tax fund, so he is doing his part to generate income from the city. It should not matter if he lives in a gated community or not. He could have purchased a home in Sherwood Forest, Green Aces or wherever, what relevance does the gate have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So where exactly was Bing living before and during the election? Franklin?

He was renting a condo on Jefferson. I'm not a big fan of Bing so far, but damn, isn't it a little bit nitpicky to jump on the guy that's not collecting a paycheck for helping to contribute to the taxroll and not having taxpayers pay for his housing.

I would like to see this stunning view of the river and Peche Island...Photos, please!

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    He was renting a condo on Jefferson. I'm not a big fan of Bing so far, but damn, isn't it a little bit nitpicky to jump on the guy that's not collecting a paycheck for helping to contribute to the taxroll and not having taxpayers pay for his housing.
    I'm not a Detroit resident and have not followed the election very closely. Therefore I was surprised to see it mentioned that Bing was not living in Detroit prior to the election. It was not my intent to criticize him for his choice to forgo moving into the Manoogian.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm not a Detroit resident and have not followed the election very closely. Therefore I was surprised to see it mentioned that Bing was not living in Detroit prior to the election. It was not my intent to criticize him for his choice to forgo moving into the Manoogian.

I'm sorry, I wasn't referring the comment to your particular post. I just added the comment after I answered your question, that's all. My bad, I should have distinguished between the two.

Millions are spent on campaigns, even for running for mayor. I don't know what his bank account looks like, but he could make a true statement about his faith in Detroit by purchasing this home and selling [[or renting) his Franklin house. It's a buyer's market. The Mayor is sending the message that he will head back to the suburbs when all is said and done, no matter what the result of his time in office.

As far as it being a gated community... I have no problem with that. Maybe it will save a little on the security of the mayor's residence.

How does the Manoogian cost the city $150,000 annually to maintain? If that's the case the city should sell it & buy a penthouse in the Book Cadlillac for the Mayor's official residence.

How does the Manoogian cost the city $150,000 annually to maintain? If that's the case the city should sell it & buy a penthouse in the Book Cadlillac for the Mayor's official residence.
    Why is the largest, poorest city in the country maintaining a mayoral residence AT ALL? Sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    so you think since nobody is living in the mansion there is no money going to maintain it?

if he wins again in the fall why not live in the mansion?

i don't see anything wrong with it as long as he doesn't spend a ton redecorating it.
    I think Bailey answered this better than I could have. . .

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Why is the largest, poorest city in the country maintaining a mayoral residence AT ALL? Sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    He probably had the place fumigated but still couldn't get the Kwame smell out of it.
    If there was that "rumored" party that was held at the mansion, I think smells would be the least of one's worries. I'd be more concerned about KK stains.

There might be something in the Manoogian trust that willed the mansion to the city, forbidding its sale, ya never know.