Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default R.J. Hirt @ Eastern Mkt.- Easter Weekend

Talked at length this past Saturday with the owner of Hirt Cheese in Eastern Mkt.[[We even took a picture with him, inside the mostly renovated 1st floor).

The've had to replace a large part of the flooring on the 1st floor. Many other renovations as well, including adding a viewing window into the cheese/meat cooler.

He said to spread the word, they will re-open, and I quote " ... the top of May". He also said probably open the 1st floor in the beginning, with the 3rd floor gifts/toys/wicker to follow not long after.

Quote Originally Posted by pitagraphics View Post

The've had to replace a large part of the flooring on the 1st floor.
    Oh no!! I hope they didn't take out the creaking, squeaking and moaning of the floorboards, too!

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Oh no!! I hope they didn't take out the creaking, squeaking and moaning of the floorboards, too!

Oh, you're gonna love it. Everyone will. The things that used to make you absolutely crazy about going into Hirts are now gone, and they discovered some cool stuff in the process of deconstruction which were immediately incorporated into the renovation.

We, too, got a peek the other night...after leaving Vivio's on the way to the Brad Mehldau/Josh Redman concert. I know he's been making his employees crazy...because one really wanted him to end our tour and close up the shop!

It is simply stunning inside...freshened without losing the feel of the old joint. Thankfully gone is the cashbox, that stupid traffic bottlenecking confusion-creator...behind which they found a wall full of beautiful green tile which pre-dates the founding of Pewabic by ten years or so. It was apparently perfect, and simply covered up.

The cheese counter is easily twice as long as it used to be.

I'll let that sink in for a moment...and rest alone. Some of you might want to read it again. [[save me the typing)

My girlfriend asked if they were going to carry our favorite Guinness Mustard...and he asked her to write it down for him. He specifically emphasized to each of us to tell everyone we know to come down and remind him of their special reasons why they always came into the store. And be patient with him.

Savvy guy, but he was totally genuine, he doesn't want to disappoint anyone...although I'm sure some things might take time to source, depending on who in the past did that work and kept track.

I was reminded of how I saw him working more often than ANYONE in the Market, other than perhaps Bert [[no kidding), when I lived there. Got the chance to tell him so, and he lit up with a grin that warmed the room.

The 1893 Cheese Shop...another instant Eastern Market classic.

Cheers, see you there,
    John

Are they hiring? I've been told no one can cut the cheese like I can!