Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Need help -- thinking about the city as our next home base

My wife and I are an early 40's couple that are in the city all the time and love it. We currently live in the burbs but are thinking about the city as our next home base. I may be dreaming, but I want to live in a loft that is more my own building. Im thinking two stories, first floor for cars, motorcycles, tools, basketball net, etc. Second floor for loft living sace. Thoughts on feasibility, location, cost, etc.?

How about that former grow op site on the near east side? The spot they pulled a couple million in plant material from? Police auction 'd? Big fenced in building. Abandoned lots in the back [[also fenced) Bottom floor was a garage. Top floor had windows. Building looks secure. Area is nearly rural but close to downtown

edit: Chene @ St Joseph. Its 3 floors. Probably 7-10K sq feet. Top floor could probably be finished out to a nice living space if it hasn't already. No clue as to its availability.
    Last edited by rex; April-09-12 at 09:18 AM.

Likely that space'll be tied up in court for a while.

But it would be my first choice, too.

In-floor radiant heating. No loft should be without it.

Good luck, please edit your thread title to more clearly represent your intent!

Cheers!

This place would be ideal for what you are after. I don't know for sure if it is still abandoned. It is on Crane St. just North of Kerchaval on the edge of the Village's. It would convert nicely to your needs but I have no Idea on cost overall. I would love to do the same thing you are looking for!

Attachment 13025

Thanks all. Wheels, that building has real potential. I wonder how big it is? Looks like the first floor may have high ceilings - need that to work in jump shot [[that I've never had).

Quote Originally Posted by gwillardjr View Post
    Thanks all. Wheels, that building has real potential. I wonder how big it is? Looks like the first floor may have high ceilings - need that to work in jump shot [[that I've never had).
    It was a Fire Station so it may still have the pole to slide down. LOL
    The second level would have been the living quarters so a kitchen and bath must exist already. It looks to be about 1000 to 1500 sq ft on each level.

It is walking distance to one of the nicest neighborhoods in the City. It definitely has potential. Plenty of room for toys. Not sure about security though.

This is a great spot. It was actively for sale for a little while - though it didn't sell. It's in a slightly shadier part of the Cass Corridor - Cass and Temple - but you'd have easy access to the Temple Bar and Cass Park.

If I remember correctly, four guys owned the place together and had done some pretty amazing things inside - they made it a pretty swanky bachelor pad.

Name:  Coolspot.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    This is a great spot. It was actively for sale for a little while - though it didn't sell. It's in a slightly shadier part of the Cass Corridor - Cass and Temple - but you'd have easy access to the Temple Bar and Cass Park.

If I remember correctly, four guys owned the place together and had done some pretty amazing things inside - they made it a pretty swanky bachelor pad.
    That area could sky rocket if the new stadium go's in where it is speculated to go. Looks like a pretty good size building though. With 3 floors it would be a lot of upkeep.

How about the Dom Polski hall on East Warren. 10,000 sq feet at $225,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This place would be ideal for what you are after. I don't know for sure if it is still abandoned. It is on Crane St. just North of Kerchaval on the edge of the Village's. It would convert nicely to your needs but I have no Idea on cost overall. I would love to do the same thing you are looking for!

Attachment 13025
    Drove by this building over the weended. It's a funtioning fire station. I think it said laddar 14.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post

Name:  Coolspot.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  38.7 KB
    Called on this building. ITS SOLD. Sold for $400,000 and its going to be demo'd. Seems like much New York money in coming into that area. I understand there are big plans for the Temple [[with NY money).

Speaking of firehouses, how about the former Casa de Espana at 6138 Michigan near Livernois...Name:  casa de espana.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  51.0 KB Info from LoopNet.com
    Last edited by Orthophonic; April-16-12 at 03:34 PM. Reason: haste makes waste

Damn, I'd really like to find a building like the above; they always seem to be in the sketchiest of neighborhoods and the really good ones sold.

The building on Forest is awesome, but the abandoned commercial [[ and the accompanying forest) next to it is a huge liability.