Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Intruder Fatally Shot

Hopefully the thieves read the paper and word starts to spread among them.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

That's two for the good guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Hopefully the thieves read the paper and word starts to spread among them.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
    Unfortunately, the thieves aren't reading. Maybe if they spent more time reading, they'd choose a different career choice.

We never hear from the parents of these young men getting killed breaking into homes. I wonder what they think/feel. I used to have a family member whose teenage son would go out and commit robberies and bring the loot home to share with her. She would be as giddy as if he'd taken his paycheck and went shopping. She cried like a baby when he was sent to prison for life [[murder) but I always felt she was to blame for condoning it. I really don't think she "got it".

Detwa

Pffft. She was lucky.
    Denial knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Unfortunately, the thieves aren't reading. Maybe if they spent more time reading, they'd choose a different career choice.
    Many of them can't read [[at least to the extent you're suggesting).

If they could, they would be doing everything possible to find a legal way to get what they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

If they could, they would be doing everything possible to find a legal way to get what they wanted.

Man please !! It's not about them not being able to read. A lot of them can read, it's their mentality to take something thats not theirs is whats pervasive in the minds of many Detroiters. "Gangsta Mentality" is running rampant in Detroit.

It's a sad ending with no winners. I'm sorry anyone had to die, but I'm glad that the homeowner is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    It's a sad ending with no winners. I'm sorry anyone had to die, but I'm glad that the homeowner is safe.
    Well, some could make an argument for the tax payers and society being the winners here.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Well, some could make an argument for the tax payers and society being the winners here.
    I get the argument. I just get a "winning the battle, but losing the war" vibe about it. On a numbers point of view, your'e absolutely right. At the same time, social problems can't be solved by mathematical or mechanical processes.

Detroit could use a real break on the numbers, these days...so yeah, I feel you.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I get the argument. I just get a "winning the battle, but losing the war" vibe about it. On a numbers point of view, your'e absolutely right. At the same time, social problems can't be solved by mathematical or mechanical processes.

Detroit could use a real break on the numbers, these days...so yeah, I feel you.
    Social repair would be optimal in a perfect world. But the reality is its expensive with varying results. Its a happy story if someone comes out better from prison then going in, but that's not usually the case. The victim could be dead, and the offender faces a tarnished reputation back out in the world. Still losers here.

There was an NPR story about convicted murders getting a second chance from the victims' families. Very rare, but a positive story. These crimes were committed at young ages though. I think by 19, you know very well the dangers and consequences of your actions. Otherwise this guy wouldn't have had a gun.

The best strategies for keeping young adults out of trouble starts when they are little kids. It's hard to make a difference later with so many influences. Keeping community centers and libraries open so that hundreds of kids can stay busy is a hell of a lot cheaper than prison for just a few individuals.

And sorry for the grammatical errors. I bumped reply too soon and there's no edit button on the mobile version

Literacy may be a first of second cousin here, but mainly the occupation of stealing to taking that which was not earned by force is born out of aggression and greed. And the supposed each route to get what they want. Now! Without delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Three or four guys armed or not forcibly breaking down your door!? The personal terror of that I'd never want to face. The outcomes if not challenged for that woman? None of the would have been good.

Lethal response cannot be an easy resort but in my opinion it is and was a reasonable one. Should the home invader assume the upper hand each and every time? No.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-12 at 05:26 AM.

9mile&seneca Guest

Boy, that Great Society just keeps on gettin mo betta and mo betta!

A good day in Detroit. No sympathy for the perp or his family.

Every time a home intruder is killed in the act, I smile.

Good guys - 1
    Thugs - 0

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Social repair would be optimal in a perfect world. But the reality is its expensive with varying results. Its a happy story if someone comes out better from prison then going in, but that's not usually the case. The victim could be dead, and the offender faces a tarnished reputation back out in the world. Still losers here.

There was an NPR story about convicted murders getting a second chance from the victims' families. Very rare, but a positive story. These crimes were committed at young ages though. I think by 19, you know very well the dangers and consequences of your actions. Otherwise this guy wouldn't have had a gun.

The best strategies for keeping young adults out of trouble starts when they are little kids. It's hard to make a difference later with so many influences. Keeping community centers and libraries open so that hundreds of kids can stay busy is a hell of a lot cheaper than prison for just a few individuals.
    I agree with that last part.

I would add though that most kids are not born as criminals and that it is something that is learned. A huge part of it is parenting... However, how many "salvageable" kids get sent into an unforgiving criminal justice system at a young age and become corrupted beyond repair? Prisons aren't in the business of rehabilitating kids, or adults for that matter, but we don't have much problem sending kids into that system at increasingly younger ages. So we shouldn't be surprised when they spend their lives as criminals and end up getting shot while robbing some woman's house.

And before someone tries to misinterpret what I said, because I have to spell every single detail out for certain people, I don't blame this woman one bit for shooting this kid in her house. I would have done the same thing. But this is not the solution. It's just a sign that we're doing some other things very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I agree with that last part.

I would add though that most kids are not born as criminals and that it is something that is learned. A huge part of it is parenting... However, how many "salvageable" kids get sent into an unforgiving criminal justice system at a young age and become corrupted beyond repair? Prisons aren't in the business of rehabilitating kids, or adults for that matter, but we don't have much problem sending kids into that system at increasingly younger ages. So we shouldn't be surprised when they spend their lives as criminals and end up getting shot while robbing some woman's house.
    To add insult to injury we spend more on the incarceration then we would on a good education.

I don't have the answer but it would go a lot further to spend that money for the betterment of the kids instead of the demise.

The government cannot [[by schools or prisons) teach morals, that falls to the parents.

You know, like the parent in the story above who loved her thievin' kid's haul.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    The government cannot [[by schools or prisons) teach morals, that falls to the parents.

You know, like the parent in the story above who loved her thievin' kid's haul.
    But the government can make it easier for kids to fall through the cracks, especially when they don't have a very strong support system at home.

I wholeihearttheddly agree with Wheels and Iheartthed about the punishment part of allocations to poor, uneducated, unappreciated folk. Abandonment and banishment are a repeat pattern that begets more violence. Cohesiveness, appreciation, reinforcement of healthy behavior can do wonders to the community.

Nothing short of a revolution on how the problems of inner city USA are deallt with can yield results in the Violence File.

And more guns wont help much either. The fact a deranged guy can go buy a gun in a minute, go out and shoot, kill 7 people just proves the screwy the math is on the right to bear weapons. The Trayvon case is also a proof of the punitive mentality that begets violence. The death penalty figures in the US states that implement it also are an illustration of how useless it is to stem violent behavior. The murder rates in US cities are astronomical, the despair is high, the mental and other health problems unattended also are huge supplier of social ills. I could go on and on.

Maybe the Great Society was a masquerade for abandonment, but the move to more opportunity is a lot more effective than the right wing agenda that faces americans if a Santorum or even a so-called milquetoast Romney comes to power. More rather than less social work needs to come forth. I thing the western world could neglect a few unimportant agendas and focus on the betterment of communities, people first.

At this point, parental neglect/drugs/crime/poor schooling/etc. has rum rampant in Detroit for generations. It is ingrained. If we keep turning our heads away and saying "that's gotta stop happening" it does nothing to resolve the issue. IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Drastic measures need to be taken to unwind the knot of poverty in Detroit. That includes rounding up the people that threaten society. Sorry, I don't buy into the "society let them down, fell through the cracks" crap. They had a chance with school. Choices were obviously made - and consequences resulted.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    They had a chance with school. Choices were obviously made - and consequences resulted.
    Assuming this guy wasn't in and out of jail during the period of his childhood when he should have "had a chance with school".

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    At this point, parental neglect/drugs/crime/poor schooling/etc. has rum rampant in Detroit for generations. It is ingrained. If we keep turning our heads away and saying "that's gotta stop happening" it does nothing to resolve the issue. IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Drastic measures need to be taken to unwind the knot of poverty in Detroit. That includes rounding up the people that threaten society. Sorry, I don't buy into the "society let them down, fell through the cracks" crap. They had a chance with school. Choices were obviously made - and consequences resulted.

Maybe just look at the deep roots of this ingrained behavior and why it continues.

"Rounding up" as you say, conjures images of a Dirty Harry or a Rooster Coughburn or a Robocop coming to a Detroit street near you and leveling all the bad guys to a manageable pile of dead bodies or prisoners.

Punishment is necessary, but the harshness of life for a lot of people in cities and towns is punishing enough. When all you are fed is images of Winners versus Losers on TV, inane advertizing schemes to get you to talk your doctor into getting a prescription for the latest ill; that is violence also.

For afro-americans, the road to a semblance of normalcy that is the leitmotiv of american dreaming has been a lot rockier than others, filled with traps and insults. Is it any wonder a self destructive instinct persists when in spite of a perceived better playing field; the abandonment and isolation continues?

It took too long for black americans to achieve recognition as players on this field. The payback time is prolonged and self destructive to not only the blck community but the US at large. So, more punishment may be OK economically, especially if corporations can make a buck with privately operated prisons and Smith and Wesson stocks soar, but the cities will still go to shit.

I was downtown last night after the Tiger's home opener... and boy was it hopping at 10PM. A friend said there was a stabbing on Monroe between Brush and Beaubien [[which he claims is why that stretch of Monroe was closed). I only went down to pick up some inebriated friends... so I don't know. But with all the intoxicants during/after the game, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anybody hear anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast