Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pyromaniacs! To Belle Isle...and A Little More...

WDET reported this morning that they will have controlled burns around the isle to ward off 'invading species'. But we all know these burns are less controlled than they will ever admit.

It IS amazing what happens when Penske touches a thing, though. There are neat piles of deadwood all over the place now...the island is cleaner than it's been in years, excepting the damn broken glass down on partier's row just north of the Coast Guard station.

They've made great progress this week turning the western half into the racecourse for the upcoming return of the Detroit Grand Prix. I can't wait until the road gets resurfaced...it really needs it now. The girlfriend's SAAB was a bit unstable around Turn 13, trying to execute a pass by an excruciatingly slow 40-year-old Buick...inbetween the forklifts carrying heavy concrete barriers.

So, pyros...get yer flaming butts down there to see some fire!

Cheers!
    John

Thanks John, I hope they clean up the tree by Itsjeff's Memorial Bench. A friend and I made big inroads on the bench itself last month but a big fallen tree requires major work... [[and no electric chainsaws.... lol)...

Is it confirmed that they are repaving the racetrack portion of the roads?

They will HAVE to...no way they can race on that surface.

I like taking turns tight and fast riding up on the red and white curbing
    pretending i am race car driver in my 83 z or rx7.

This pic is over my dash playing race car driver at mid Ohio 3 years ago.

Dude, if you were ON THE TRACK legally, you weren't 'playing' race driver...LOL...you were a race driver playing!

Nothing quite like finding that magical line through a curve, nipping the apex, and powering out as if it wasn't even there...hell, I do that with our fabulous freeway interchanges downtown! [[and the Conner entrance to WB I-94...)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    They will HAVE to...no way they can race on that surface.
    totally agree, the track is a mess in most places

Black Gold Man, those are some nice 240Z's. I sure miss my '72.

No doubt.

Who would pay money to get some track time after the races are done?!

They could put on driving classes on that huge tarmac...defensive maneuvers, traction recovery...and then give time runs around the course.

Surely there is an insurance rider which would accommodate such events...and it would get more income off the track assembly.

I sure wish there was some place for our road-raging racers to get their ya-yas off...City Airport...something sanctioned and legal. Been thinking and dreaming about that since meeting the motorcycle racer that one early morning at the old Mediterranean Cafe.

Cheers!

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No doubt.

Who would pay money to get some track time after the races are done?!

They could put on driving classes on that huge tarmac...defensive maneuvers, traction recovery...and then give time runs around the course.

Surely there is an insurance rider which would accommodate such events...and it would get more income off the track assembly.

I sure wish there was some place for our road-raging racers to get their ya-yas off...City Airport...something sanctioned and legal. Been thinking and dreaming about that since meeting the motorcycle racer that one early morning at the old Mediterranean Cafe.

Cheers!
    Waterford Hills raceway has some open track days. A fun option is autocross, one of the clubs rents the big concrete area on Belle Isle in the summer a few times. This site has links to the local clubs and event calendars. http://michigansportscarclub.org/mscc/

Head on down to chevy dealer free tix to prix i just scored 4 for sat.

If they want to rid Belle Isle of invasive species, they should return it to the Natives and GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Head on down to chevy dealer free tix to prix i just scored 4 for sat.

Having to suffer the PTSD flashbacks of previous dealership encounters in order to attend doens't sound free.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    If they want to rid Belle Isle of invasive species, they should return it to the Natives and GTFO.

I've heard of GTO and GTU classes in racing, but not yet GTFO.

Here's a video I shot of a controlled burn in Eliza Howel Park last month. This is what they do.

http://flic.kr/p/bLFdRk
    Last edited by Parkguy; May-09-12 at 12:59 PM.

Get
    the
    f***
    out