Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review Team

Default Review Team

Question to the field...was the endorsement/recommendation of the Consent Agreement unanimous among the members of the team?

It went 7-0, three members weren't present.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Correct me if im wrong but i thought there was a restraining order from Ingam county judge stopping the review team?

Yes, but we're still far from an official passage at this time.

The city council are still hearing comments from the citizens, and Robeert Davis just submitted an appeal for the STate Court's decision to lift the temporary block on a consent agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but i thought there was a restraining order from Ingam county judge stopping the review team?
    There was, but see my above post with regards to how that's playing out.

Then there's the federal court decision that's pending as well.

So I'm looking for some political analysis, not argument analysis here: How is that the financial review team approved it 7-0. And Reid is on public record of being in favor of EM.

How is that these leaders are so much at odds with the city council?

Wasnt it Davis who originally asked for the restraining order, and now he wants it lifted?

I believe i may have read your post wrong or i may have missed the news of the State Court lifting the injunction. Sorry

Wasnt it Davis who originally asked for the restraining order, and now he wants it lifted?
    No, the state appealed the restraining order DAvis won in Ingram County with the State Appeals Court and won [[lifting the restraining order) this afternoon, but just a little while ago Davis submitted an appeal of the State Appeal's Court decision to lift the restraining order.

Thanks i guess i better read a little better.

Either way it goes it sure is a convoluted mess!

Either way it goes it sure is a convoluted mess!
    Pretty much, especially considering we're well into the 11th hour, as a decision by Snyder has to be made by the end of the day tomorrow [[between an EFM or Bankruptcy if a consent agreement isn't passed). Not even hollywood could put this many twists and turns into a movie. Then there's the recall effort to put a freeze on the EFM law until November once they're finished tallying up those signatures.

The Council now is discussing the document, the public hearing session has ended.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-04-12 at 05:34 PM.

I dont think the council could discuss what to have off a lunch menu without having to have a dozen meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Pretty much, especially considering we're well into the 11th hour, as a decision by Snyder has to be made by the end of the day tomorrow [[between and EFM or Bankruptcy if a consent agreement isn't passed). Not even hollywood could put this many twists and turns into a movie. Then there's the recall effort to put a freeze on the EFM law until November once they're finished tallying up those signatures.

The Council now is discussing the documents, the public hearing session has ended.
    Wow, what a mess. Councilwoman Watson is making references to MLK now. What no one is willing to get up and say is that "Bankruptcy is better for Detroit than an EM/Consent Agreement because... ________"

Look, I don't know what MLK would do here. Maybe some of you do. What I do know is that a municipal bankruptcy would be total chaos, and every major asset the city owns would be sold or privatized. And we'd lose years of time and millions of dollars in the process.

I'd hate to be a voting councilman right now...either way it's gonna be hell coming from one direction or the other.

How is that these leaders are so much at odds with the city council?
    I have no special insight into the thinking of the council, but I would say there are two main differences:

1) The council has to answer to the public, of which there is at least a motivated minority that really doesn't like the idea of a consent decree/EFM.

2) The council would be at least somewhat disempowered by a change. The review board has no power in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I have no special insight into the thinking of the council, but I would say there are two main differences:

1) The council has to answer to the public, of which there is at least a motivated minority that really doesn't like the idea of a consent decree/EFM.

2) The council would be at least somewhat disempowered by a change. The review board has no power in any case.
    Interesting. Well to hear the opinions from both, it's almost like they're talking about two different cities. One sees us on the brink of disaster. The other is going on and on about all the different options we have.

Many of Detroit's jewels would be privatized for sure. It would be so sad for this to happen, because our city council is too stupid to see the big picture. But isn't that part of the reason detroit is in the shape its in?

One sees us on the brink of disaster. The other is going on and on about all the different options we have.
    I'm not a "you need to run a city like a business" kind of person, but I doubt any of the people on the council can read a balance sheet or a cash flow statement. Not that one could assume that the city's are accurate. My suspicion is that even though they are being told by all responsible parties that disaster is nigh, they just don't want to believe it, and think there is some magical way out.

I might be wrong but i think the council may also be reluctent due to the Unions. Let's face it right or wrong some of Synder's reason is soley to break unions in this state. I am not arguing whether it is right or wrong but he did threaten the council not to sign the contract agreements because he felt they didn't give up enough.

Coucil approved it, 5-4.

I thought i felt the ground rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Pretty much, especially considering we're well into the 11th hour, as a decision by Snyder has to be made by the end of the day tomorrow [[between an EFM or Bankruptcy if a consent agreement isn't passed). Not even hollywood could put this many twists and turns into a movie. Then there's the recall effort to put a freeze on the EFM law until November once they're finished tallying up those signatures.

The Council now is discussing the document, the public hearing session has ended.
    I have been thinking the SAME thing ! This thing is s TOTAL cluster fuck.
    I've been trying to keep up , , it's like the best TV show Hollywood Couldn't make up.
    I guess Life IS stranger than fiction !
    This is the BEST show on TV ! It's CRAZY !! I keep tuning in to see what is going to happen next !
    The sad thing is it's all too true , the good thing is , Something has to happen, just waiting ,to see is exciting !

I don't know why anyone thought they were not going to approve it. Now we get to watch and see just how much better life becomes for the citizens of the City of Detroit. The mayor and the Council just voted to save their power, nothing more.

Consent Agreement is the best path, City Council still can pass ordinances and manage planning and zoning. Finances and budget will be controlled by ? others ? .

Major milestone, this will avoid bankruptcy at least.

Best of luck to Detroit on this historic day.

I have not read the Consent Agreement and do not know its intricate details. I sure as hell hope the City Council did.

It is my hope that the fiscal board is not an end all in that they can just cut, slash & deny without any comeback from city leaders. Not that there has been a tremendous job done in running the city, but there needs to be a way that we can say "Hold on here... WTF?" if need be.

Something had to be done and something was going to be done. This seems to be the least radical move to be made.

I pray it is the right one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast