Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shooting at Lappin and Queen

I just found out from my brother there was a shooting at Lappin and Queen, just four houses down from his house. After hearing a ‘pop’ he looked up from his repair work tosee a guy getting six rounds to the back in front of the dope house. The perp fled in a red SUV and the victim was taken to the hospital. Lot of little kids were around, but no others were hurt.

I see the HELICOPTERS.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    I see the HELICOPTERS.
    If you're in the Mack/Alter area, a house/stretch of houses was raided today. Alter was shut down and police walked dogs to houses and cars in a couple block radius. The helicopters were flying super low, right above my house and in the area. I don't know what they were looking for.

Big time news story.....42 yrs. or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    I see the HELICOPTERS.
    I don't think Detroit police have helicopters at their disposal anymore. Most likely local media or State Police.

I remember the days of DPD helicopter police. They were misguided drunken dragnets that never revealed anything except a show of concern for those recently deceased from an aerial perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    If you're in the Mack/Alter area, a house/stretch of houses was raided today. Alter was shut down and police walked dogs to houses and cars in a couple block radius. The helicopters were flying super low, right above my house and in the area. I don't know what they were looking for.
    They were flying as far east as Three Mile, it seemed. Same VERY low passes, some at incredible speed with stupid...and I'm sure dangerous...turns. It took me some time to even get an ID on the craft...they were moving that fast. It wasn't marked very well, but it was state police. Very anxiety-producing to have a 'copter less than 100 feet above the treeline doing fucking aerial acrobatics.

We were warned there would be some Homeland Security aircraft flying low for some assinine survey...and then this.

I didn't see the police action on Alter...you are closer than me...but when driving over to visit Django in the morning, the first thing I saw was a State Police finishing up with someone on Forest. All I can say is anyone getting caught for anything on Detroit's freeways is the least lucky person in the world.

Ugh.

Cheers, anyways...it's too early to let stuff like this ruin a day.

Drove Alter between Jefferson and Mack this morning...and there was no obvious signs of police presence...no tape around buildings, nothing.

Closest was the tape around those two holes in the ground where they tore down a few houses.

Was it SOUTH of Jefferson?!

More I think about it, the more angry I am about that damn Sate Police Stunt Pilot's antics yesterday...he really flew like a fool.

Less cheers than before...

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    I don't think Detroit police have helicopters at their disposal anymore. Most likely local media or State Police.

I remember the days of DPD helicopter police. They were misguided drunken dragnets that never revealed anything except a show of concern for those recently deceased from an aerial perspective.

State helicopter that's right it stays at city airport.
    When it is up it will call in service on DPD dispatch and other city's.
    And will respond at request of local police.

Detroit is conduction operation Hemingway and have stepped it up.
    I used the great 911 system the other night.
    Man with shotgun shots fired and had two cars investigating with
    a 6 min response.

But i have had them knock on the door 12 hours after calling in the past.

BGM

Great shot, I didn't have the lens to capture it as clearly. I think the word POLICE should be in as large a lettering as the ID number.

IF they were chasing suspects through the neighborhood, the police should all have been on their bullhorns telling the UNsuspecting public. This should be policy...keeping the civilians out of harm's way, and helping them become eyes and ears to spot suspicious activity.

That whole deal yesterday is really getting to me. Reckless endangerment of civilians...for what?! They flew over every street in GPP for twenty minutes and more...flying like assholes.

On the other hand, they could pay for the craft and more if they simply hovered over the city and fed ground cops leads on the dickheaded drivers ignoring all laws. The money they could make...
    Last edited by Gannon; April-05-12 at 09:03 AM.

Drove by a few times again, and the only thing which seemed off on Alter near Mack is that one apartment building on the east side of the street just south of Mack.

It looks abandoned now...but something happened there. Or they are rebuilding it with very creative deconstruction.