Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Crime Commission - The New Metro Police Force?

I've never heard of the "Detroit Crime Commission" before this article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TRO/204040425/

Is this setting up to be the replacement for the DPD once Detroit gets the emergency manager?

Detroit— Andrew Arena, the head of the Detroit FBI office, is retiring, ending a local tenure that led to convictions against 18 people in connection with corruption probes of Detroit City Hall and the underwear bomber.
    Arena will serve as the executive director of a newly formed group, the Detroit Crime Commission.
    The crime commission is designed to help coordinate prosecution of criminal activity through research, investigations, information and coordination of activities between business, government and law enforcement.
    The group also will make grants to law enforcement agencies.
    "We are very pleased and excited Mr. Arena has decided to lead our organization. I think it speaks to his unwavering public service commitment to the Metropolitan area," said Ron Reddy, the commission's deputy director, in a prepared statement.
    The Detroit native joined the Detroit FBI office in 2007 as special agent in charge and has overseen a broad crackdown on corruption in City Hall and an ongoing investigation of Wayne County government.
    There was no immediate comment from the FBI about a successor.
    Come back to detroitnews.com as this story develops.
    rsnell@detnews.com
    [[313) 222-2028

I would like to know more about this group too. I see on Google that information is VERY sparse. Ron Reddy looks to be a former FBI agent himself. Address provided for DCC is 1001 Woodward Ave.

Here is their website:

http://detroitcrime.com/

The mission of the Detroit Crime Commission is to lessen the burdens of government and the citizens of the southeast Michigan area by facilitating the prevention, investigation and prosecution of crime. A special emphasis will be placed on criminal enterprises that prey upon the citizens of the metropolitan Detroit area. The Detroit Crime Commission will conduct research, assist in investigations, disseminate information to the public, and help coordinate crime reduction activities between business, the public, government and law enforcement. The Commission will also assist in law enforcement training, and make grants to governmental entities to fund law enforcement activities.

Default Detroit Crime Commission

The DCC, has been around for more than seven months with the first month-and-half spent talking with public safety executives and elected officials in the tri-county area. They started working with Community Legal Resources, now the Michigan Community Resources, to improve the quality of life in the University District by targeting owners of open, vacant, and dangerous properties. Since then, they have quietly presented projects [[investigations) to federal, state, and local law enforcement for follow-up.

I like it. Andrew Arena does not f**k around.

who is paying their bills?

Quote Originally Posted by wardwood View Post
    very good question...

on linkedin, Ellis Stafford lists himself as the commission's operations director and says he's former Assistant Division Commander for the Special Operations Division, Michigan State Police.

And adding to the mystery of the group's funding, it says:

The Detroit Crime Commission is a 501[[c)[[3) organization, which was incorporated in August with the State of Michigan. It is supported by a number of entities and persons that own businesses in and around, the City of Detroit.

just who or what are these "entities and persons"? there appears to be a lot of money coming from somewhere.

I suspect Ilitch, Gilbert, Karmanos may have kicked in some $$$

any idea what Andrew Arena is getting paid for this gig? I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $200k

So odd that the first work is over in Rosedale Park? They seem to be following up on vacant houses. I would think that gangs and the proliferation of assault weapons in Detroit neighborhoods would be more more their style. Rosedale Park vacancies seems pretty tame work for warriors like them. And why would Ilitch et al pay for that? What gives?

A Detroit News Poster this afternoon on the Detroit Crime Commission:
    "They and a local law firm are helping my neighborhood by filing law suits against home owners whose abandoned homes have become nuisances. The house across the street from me is one such building."

I expect it will be like the Chicago Crime Commission which has been around for almost a hundred years. Looks like they will provide training, community assistance, research, and other services to the public and to law enforcement.

They aren't going to be a police department or an actual law enforcement body like the DPD, FBI, etc.

I am optimistic that they can play a positive role in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by wardwood View Post
    Omni Consumer Products. I heard they are also getting one of those ED-209s.

more details on the Detroit Crime Commission in this article:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...O01/205080366/

The commission — launched last fall with funding from anonymous donors — is run by a small group of retired police officers, including its incoming executive director, Andrew Arena, the retiring top agent of the Detroit FBI.

Officials with the nonprofit wouldn't disclose its budget but said the goal is to help the city and law enforcement officials fight crime amid dwindling resources.
    does this remind anybody of the old movie "The Star Chamber"?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086356/

tag line from movie poster: "They Meet. They Judge. They Execute"
    Name:  sc.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  46.9 KB

will they offer CCW classes?