Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Work on the Hotel Charlevoix

Workers started to put up a barrier around the hotel Charlevoix on Elizabeth & Park across form Cliff Bell's yesterday. Are they rehabbing it or tearing it down?

Hope it's not a teardown...although i'm 99% sure it is

Quote Originally Posted by olskool View Post
    workers stared to put up a barrier around the hotel Charlevoix on Elizabeth & Park across form Cliff Bell's yesterday.

are they rehabbing it tearing it down?
    Maybe neither. Perhaps they are just keeping people off the sidewalk incase debris starts falling like the Wurlitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Hope it's not a teardown...although i'm 99% sure it is

Good. That would eliminate the future possibility of there being a streetwall of businesses in a budding entertainment district.

What that area could really use is a temporary park or a community garden for the residents of the gravel lots to the northwest.

When I was there on Monday morning, Park Ave was closed from Elizabeth to Adams, also there was a hand stenciled sign on the Elizabeth side of the Charlevoix stating the date of its Historic Designation as well as the name of the original architect.

I hear that building is beyond repair. It has been set fire to many times over the years...bums, etc....it's too bad because it could be really cool.

I love this colorized shot from shorpy.

Attachment 12990

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Good. That would eliminate the future possibility of there being a streetwall of businesses in a budding entertainment district.

What that area could really use is a temporary park or a community garden for the residents of the gravel lots to the northwest.
    Ha! You know it'll become yet another parking lot for Illitchville.

The major problem with the Charlevoix Building is that the stairways have been removed. Beyond that it's in no worse condition than the United Artists Building was before it was stabilized.

A car parked on Park Ave. was badly damaged last week due to falling bricks.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/B...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit68 View Post
    A car parked on Park Ave. was badly damaged last week due to falling bricks.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/B...z/-/index.html
    I shouldn't be LOL, because someone could have gotten hurt, but I did... Like I said... no worse than the United Artists Building... which 25 years ago sent down a shower of bricks onto cars parked on Clifford. They closed that stretch of Clifford for over a year due to the bricks falling off the UA Building... and now the building is at least mothballed with a new roof, windows cleaned, and facade stabilization.