Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sweet Perk: Wayne County Commissioners get free Tigers Tickets!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1r4XGi28A

The premise of this is somewhat upsetting, though certainly not surprising... the City and County get a suite each and a bucket of tickets. I [[guess) I applaud those Commissioners who give them out to volunteers, etc... that makes sense a bit. But, if you're really concerned about a kickback to the county, why not give county resident $5 off each ticket they buy? Even for just a game or two a year... county appreciation day. That makes a lot more sense than giving our elected officials free tickets for agreeing to spend our money on the stadium!!

Where I really get cheesed is the reactions of the Commissioners who are asked about the arrangement. Here are my favs:

"County officials argue that, technically, the suites belong to the city and county since its authority built the stadium."

... so, technically, everything that you spend other people [[taxpayers) money on is owned by the county, and since you were elected, it is there for your personal gain. Right.

"My constituents who get them don't think it's unfair," Varga said.

... no explanation needed.

Mr. Ilitch and Mr. Ford DON"T own the stadiums, but the Wayne County Stadium Authority does.

The money to build them was from a complex series of funds... everything from State oil and gas drilling leases to Ford and Ilitch money... to naming rights [[over $50 million each from Comerica and Ford Motor Co.). So giving just Wayne County residents some special deal is not fair the the residents of the entire state, who all have indirectly contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Mr. Ilitch and Mr. Ford DON"T own the stadiums, but the Wayne County Stadium Authority does.

The money to build them was from a complex series of funds... everything from State oil and gas drilling leases to Ford and Ilitch money... to naming rights [[over $50 million each from Comerica and Ford Motor Co.). So giving just Wayne County residents some special deal is not fair the the residents of the entire state, who all have indirectly contributed.

Excellent point, maybe a Michigan resident discount day. Giving some tickets to Detroit and Wayne County officials, crazy. Just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    Excellent point, maybe a Michigan resident discount day. Giving some tickets to Detroit and Wayne County officials, crazy. Just nuts.
    This may be justifiable as a business move, but placed in the context of all the other shenanigans going on in Ficano's office it's atrocious. I wouldn't mind a consent agreement coming down on Ficano as well.