Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who's Excited For Opening Day?!!?!?!?

Well, I bet most of you who live downtown aren't. The streets will be filled with the urine and vomit of suburbanites by 10am. I'd love to partake in some tailgating and go to the game, but unfortunately I'll be in my office working. Dammit

This guy Living right by Comerica Park is one or the best reasons to live downtown! VIP Table at Fountain Bistro surrounded by TVs and 5 food trucks. Sure hope that the weather's nice....

I'm excited. Opening Day is my own personal religious holiday. I haven't missed it since 1994 when I was living out of state.

I just got off the phone with my sis. Her, her husband, and I, along with some of their friends, are going down. I did not know that bars charge cover throughout the day. People don't get anything except to watch the game. That's just plain wrong. I know it's Opening Day, Detroit's unofficial holiday, but to charge people up to $20 to patron is disgusting. However we're going down early. I went to the Opening Day game in 2010 and loved it! I can't wait for this season. GO TIGERS!

Seems funny reading this thread. The Mariners had their opening day last week. Split with Oakland in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I just got off the phone with my sis. Her, her husband, and I, along with some of their friends, are going down. I did not know that bars charge cover throughout the day. People don't get anything except to watch the game. That's just plain wrong. I know it's Opening Day, Detroit's unofficial holiday, but to charge people up to $20 to patron is disgusting. However we're going down early. I went to the Opening Day game in 2010 and loved it! I can't wait for this season. GO TIGERS!

That's weird. I would say you could find most places without cover. At least that's what my experience has been.

Dirty Trick on Woodward & Adams, right across from the stadium. Tents outside with multiple bars, a DJ and 89x broadcasting live. NO COVER! I love that damn place.

Thanks guys, never been down there just to party so I don't know if she was exaggerating or she's just been going to the wrong bars.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; April-03-12 at 10:08 PM.

Right in grand circus park there are tents, a band and beer for sale. Beer is not free but admission is.

I'm going for the first time in 25 yrs. I can't wait.

Thanks guys, never been down there just to party so I don't know if she was exaggerating or she's just been going to the wrong bars.

There are plenty of bars nearby that don't have a cover. However I have noticed that some bars raise the price of beer on opening day. Expect anything within shouting distance of Comerica Park to be expensive.

I am ! I'm watching the Tigers play the Mudhens right now ! :-)
    I have several friends coming into town from the burbs ! Novi, Royal Oak, Northville, ect some are even staying at hotels.
    I've only been 3 times and looking forward to it !
    Look for me I'll be wearing the old English D :-D

I'm not sure about that. I'd say 90% of my drinking on opening say is at the tailgates. When we've ventured to bars, most charged cover. First time in 6 years I won't be there....SIGH

my friend says he doesnt like opening day because the people are way different than any normal tigers game.go figure.

I unfortunately won't be able to go to the game, but "excited"? -- Heck yeah! I also think it's pretty cool that the Wings are playing on the same day. Go Tigers!
    -DVD

Opening Day is the best day of the year.

You shouldn't miss it, even if you don't have tickets to the game.

I have to work. Been kicking myself that I didn't put in earlier for the day off.
    -DVD

I'm downtown at work. I'm genuinely happy for all you Tiger fans. I hope they win it today. Thank you for coming downtown and being a part of this event.

That said ...

I was looking up St. Antoine at a half-mile of stop-and-go traffic and just thought about the RIVER of gasoline that must be POURING into all those cars idling there. And I imagine that all those drivers must have been very frustrated by the lack of progress. If we're going to have stadia downtown, we really need some kind of transit to get people downtown without trying to pack 20,000 extra cars into a corner of downtown.

Rant over. Play ball!

I recall 1972 being mugged in the bathroom by older black children for my
    small bat and tigers hat.
    BGM

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    This guy Living right by Comerica Park is one or the best reasons to live downtown! VIP Table at Fountain Bistro surrounded by TVs and 5 food trucks. Sure hope that the weather's nice...
    LOL, walked by that at lunch time, it smelled delicious. Downtown is very alive today despite the brisk weather.

Go Tigers!!!!! 2012 ALCS Central League Champions and the next 2012 World Series Champions.

Nice Comeback Win. Great that we have two other all-stars hitting 7th & 8th. Jackson's 3 hits show he's going to have a great year. He hit the ball solidly 4 times and has adjusted to the new stance without the leg kick which should cut way down on the strikeouts. Tough for Verlander to not get the win and now we know why Valverde stopped throwing the splitter last season.

Quote Originally Posted by JStone View Post
    Opening Day is the best day of the year.

You shouldn't miss it, even if you don't have tickets to the game.
    I've never been to the game. It gets in the way of the drinking

I guess you have to give the win to someone, but after one game Valverde is 1-0 with an ERA of 18.00.

Default Tigers in First Place!

I hope I can retype that headline all year. Anybody go to the game? I didn't, but nice crowds downtown today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast