Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Students in DPS Protest and Demand An Education--Get Suspended

Good for these kids! They protested and demand an education. I don't think it's right that they were suspended for demanding what every kids deserves!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1392436.html

If we are going to have a "right" to healthcare, there should be no doubt we have a right to a K-12 education. For god's sake DPS, teach the kids.

I teach, in Detroit. I have been absent twice this year [[each time was unavoidable). I was absent twice in the previous two years [[each time with a bad case of the flu). I can't even imagine being absent 68 times [[unless there is an FMLA type issue or serious health problem that would prevent me from working). Each time I was absent, a sub was sent and I left detailed plans [[my plans for the week are always on my desk and anyone can follow them, if they have ANY teaching experience)...the kids pretty much know what to do each day since I tell them, in advance, what we are working on for the week. Class carried on as if I was there.

My kids BEG me to take a sick day!

DPS Students crying! " WE WANT TO LEARN! WE WANT TO LEARN! WE WANT TO LEARN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    DPS Students crying! " WE WANT TO LEARN! WE WANT TO LEARN! WE WANT TO LEARN!"
    Go find a charter, would ya. You are unlucky. Your school sucks. You are lucky. An option exists. Use it.

One of the reasons teachers abuse sick days, give inflated gradesl etc is because to a certain degree they have been beat down, getting kids from dysfunctional homes year after year after year can wear on you. You have kids that are disrespectful to there teachers, won't do assignments, and too many parents that take the attitude of " don't call me, you deal with him".

When you have 35 to 40 or more kids in a classroom, a mere 10% is all it takes to disrupt the classroom to the extent that little if any learning is taking place. Add to that the reading skills of lets say a 10th grade class is all over the map. You could have students with a reading level of a 3rd or 4th grader or if you are lucky you could have some students reading at grade level... if you are lucky.

Given there haven't been any strategy that seems to work, some of these teachers have retired on the job.

There is a lot that needs to be done, but one basic thing would be to establish a level of discipline thru out the school so some learning can take place, and hold the parents accountable to do their part.

Then you can put all the necessary curriculum fixes into place.