Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A 60's and 70's rock and roll venue question

There are a lot of articles, stories, websites, etc. about places like The Grande Ballroom. BUT has anyone written a book, website, article [[anything?) about what could be called the "sub-Grande" Detroit rock scene in the late 60's and early 70"s? I tended to go to places like Something Different, The Birmingham Palladium and The Chalet and saw many very good acts [[Frost, Bob Seger, SRC, Brownsville Station, Sky, Teegarden and VanWinkle for example) cut their performing teeth in these venues and others like them. Other venues like the Kimball High ice rink and the Royal Oak Farmers Market also drew large crowds for rock shows, and I'd like to know if there's a written history of that scene somewhere.

I had forgotten about the Motor City Music Archives, but I guess I'm looking for more than "who played when", although that's facinating in it's own right. I guess what I'm looking for is a little deeper history of the "teen" clubs and their influence on the rock history of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I had forgotten about the Motor City Music Archives, but I guess I'm looking for more than "who played when", although that's facinating in it's own right. I guess what I'm looking for is a little deeper history of the "teen" clubs and their influence on the rock history of that era.
    Doug, here's some discussions to get you going.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/1...tml?1027978828
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/1...tml?1022174623
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...To-The-Hideout

I don't know of any deeper discussions of what you're seeking and expect you'll find more in books/interviews discussing specific artists or groups and their histories.

Well, one can always hope.....

I believe Punch owned a string of clubs besides his part ownership in The Hideout. I want to say he had the SD, Chalet, and Plavillion among others, but I'm not sure. I guess my question concerns what role these places played in keeping musicians in front of the public to develop a fan base that would warrent them enough popularity to open a card at a place like The Grande.

Don't forget that Steve Glantz produced a lot of rock shows at the Michigan Palace [[former Michigan Theatre) from 1974-75, among them Bob Seger, ZZ Top, REO Speedwagon, Sly & The Family Stone, Aerosmith, Brownville Station, and many more [[I still have 1 set of 19 different unused tickets left in DYES Ads).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Don't forget that Steve Glantz produced a lot of rock shows at the Michigan Palace [[former Michigan Theatre) from 1974-75, among them Bob Seger, ZZ Top, REO Speedwagon, Sly & The Family Stone, Aerosmith, Brownville Station, and many more [[I still have 1 set of 19 different unused tickets left in DYES Ads).

I didn't think this station had commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I didn't think this station had commercials.
    Looking at tickets is free..... no purchase required!