Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Local activist blames current Detroit woes on "natural slaves"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkFPN...&feature=email

somebody sent this to me today. It's pretty long-- and goes into any number of tangents. I'll leave it at that..

All of these social know-it-alls blame the downfall of Detroit on segregation, middle class white flight, suburban development, slum clearance of Black bottom and Paradise Valley, demarcation, restrictive covenants, urban disinvestment, race riots of 1943 and rebellious riots of 1967, real estate racial urban steering, poor police protection, poor Detroit Public School system, insurance red-lining, the election of Coleman A. Young and his racial comments, collapse of the automobile industry to foriegn autobile companies, more violent crime, fast growing black communities from the River to 8 Mile Rd. since 1975, corrupt city government after mayor Pingree left office, Kwame Kilpatrick's Manoogian Parties. And to close the coffin over 200,000 middle income black families left. What's left in Detroit, today:

1. Over 50,000 or more vacant lots.

2. Over 200,000 vacant and abandon buildings.

3. Over 590,000 black Detroiters are stuck in their crime laden ghettohoods.

4. The rest of the white ethnic folks are trying their best to survive in the Detroit's ghettoes.

5. The city is dead flat broke and Lansing is about to kick Detroit city government out of handling money issues by sending an emergency manager dictator or a consent financial team.

Living in Detroit in 2010 is like living the South Bronx or across north of 110th Street to the dangerous streets of Harlem of 1960s to 1980s. The suburbs trying to ignore Detroit's cries for help, but some of the suburbanites would have to chip in to keep Detroiters for making a ruckus when the passiing north of 8 Mile Rd. or west of Five Points St. Detroit is a doom and gloom phase and its going to take either government or its people to clean up over 100 years of mess.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

R.I.P. White Detroit b.1701 d.1974

R.I.P. Black Detroit b.1975 d.2012

Will the Mexicans/Hispanic take over Detroit? I can see that coming by the year 2066.

For the 99 Percenters and Spirit of Guy Fawkes, I miss you so, Neda.

For Trayvon Martin.

1%? Guy Fawkes? Trayvon? One step @ a time, Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ... The suburbs trying to ignore Detroit's cries for help...

For Trayvon Martin.
    What 'cries for help'? I can't think of any requests for assistance. Gov. Snyder is sending help. He doesn't seem to be receiving a welcome wagon.

For even-handed justice for both Martin and Zimmerman -- based on truth.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; April-03-12 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    1%? Guy Fawkes? Trayvon? One step @ a time, Chief
    Warning: Do not engage. It's all some variation on this.

Well, when you have parents and a school system that provide a <50% high school graduation rate, what's left to do but thug it out until someone puts a bullet in your ass or you go to prison.

Detroit needs parents and a school system with much higher graduation rates.

Detroit needs parents that won't allow their children to make babies at a rate that is amazingly higher than other cities.

Detroit needs police that show up when you call them.

The city has imploded itself and the most vocal residents only want more of the same failed leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    What 'cries for help'? I can't think of any requests for assistance. Gov. Snyder is sending help. He doesn't seem to be receiving a welcome wagon.

Can You or anyone show how State Takeovers "help"?

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    They make massive cuts and balance budgets. The goal isn't to improve service, but to balance the budget and provide services more efficiently.

They "help" balance the budget.

I think it's time for the Governor to shut the door and take the phone off the hook. "You call us when you're ready," should be their mantra. If Detroiters think that a consent agreement is bad, then it's time they live a little bit in the world of hurt we call municipal bankruptcy.

You need to get over the word help.
    An EMF or a Consent Agreement or Bankruptcy, are not intended help in the context you are wishing for.
    The intent will be to stop the bleeding. This may "help" but it is going to hurt some too. This is not going to fix anything. At best it will clear a path so Detroit can "help" there own future.
    If it go's back to business as usual. oh well. You can't fix stupid.

Help means both the attempt [[help to saving a drowning woman) and the result [[with the Doctor's help, I recovered).

Sometimes the Doctor provides help, and the patient dies.

The attempt to help does not guarantee results.

Governor Snyder is certainly helping Detroit. Its an opinion whether his help is helpful or harmful. I vote for helpful.

I think it's time for the Governor to shut the door and take the phone off the hook. "You call us when you're ready," should be their mantra. If Detroiters think that a consent agreement is bad, then it's time they live a little bit in the world of hurt we call municipal bankruptcy.
    I have to disagree with your implication here. I doubt the vast majority of Detroiters would notice any difference between a consent agreement and a bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I have to disagree with your implication here. I doubt the vast majority of Detroiters would notice any difference between a consent agreement and a bankruptcy.
    Hm. Well, your post gave me some pause. I guess after thinking about it, you're right. The vast majority of Detroiters won't notice any substantive difference between the choices made in a consent agreement, and EFM, or a bankruptcy.

The point that I think gets lost is that the first two are much, much quicker. A municipal bankruptcy can drag out for years.

But I guess to your point...if most Detroiters won't notice any difference...then why are they fighting for bankruptcy?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Hm. Well, your post gave me some pause. I guess after thinking about it, you're right. The vast majority of Detroiters won't notice any substantive difference between the choices made in a consent agreement, and EFM, or a bankruptcy.

The point that I think gets lost is that the first two are much, much quicker. A municipal bankruptcy can drag out for years.

But I guess to your point...if most Detroiters won't notice any difference...then why are they fighting for bankruptcy?
    Well, your post gave me some pause. If most Detroiters won't notice any difference......then why are most suburbanites fighting for an EFM?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Well, your post gave me some pause. If most Detroiters won't notice any difference......then why are most suburbanites fighting for an EFM?
    Well, first because a drawn out bankruptcy will likely cripple the credit ratings of every municipality in our vicinity. Translation: Higher taxes for suburbanites. And why should they pay the extra cost for a fire that we refused to put out. Yes, I agree that the state made decisions that were harmful for us. But, so much of what we're going through has been preventable for years. Just like what was going on with GM and Ford. My employer at a SELL rating on the Big 3 back in 1998. Second -- and I subscribe to this -- the sooner we get through the pain, the sooner we can get to the rebuilding.

Now I'm open to hearing why a bankruptcy would better for Detroiters. I haven't heard anyone make that argument...not even those who are most vocally against an EM/EFM/Consent Agreement.

It's my opinion that a bankruptcy is like a long, drawn out, bloody war...where no one ends up getting what they want. The EM will be hard, harsh, but quick...with many more survivors.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; April-03-12 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Because bankruptcy would probably lower the bond credit rating of the state, making it more expensive for everyone to borrow money?

It's really the only leverage the city has in negotiating for more no-strings-attached money from the state. Once the amount of money Detroit demands hits a certain level, the state just won't care anymore and let the city go bankrupt anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Because bankruptcy would probably lower the bond credit rating of the state, making it more expensive for everyone to borrow money?

It's really the only leverage the city has in negotiating for more no-strings-attached money from the state. Once the amount of money Detroit demands hits a certain level, the state just won't care anymore and let the city go bankrupt anyway.
    Yeah, you wanna see what real carpetbaggers look like? The vultures who are ready to swoop in and exploit the situation? File for bankruptcy. Lawyers from all around the country [[translation: New York) will show up, charge millions and millions of dollars at $500/hour, leave a bloodbath behind them....and then leave.

CTY, I want to thank you for keeping a level head and responding to these many threads with well-reasoned, informed and logical posts. I must admit to being frustrated on occasion, but you always keep your powder dry and give everyone an even shake.

The youtube video is an interesting commentary.

Does anyone have an opinion on this guy's ideas?

That the earlier wave of southern blacks were somewhat more savvy and motivated and that the post war folks were conditioned to slavish attitudes and self destruction.

I understand the likelihood that 19th and early 20th century southern migrants would have had more temerity and business acumen, a better sense of community, but I cant imagine his theory is all that solid. He has a positive bias toward the Black Muslim ethic versus the evangelical christian ethic, it seems to be the cut-off point for him. Whaddayouseallthink?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    They make massive cuts and balance budgets. The goal isn't to improve service, but to balance the budget and provide services more efficiently.

They "help" balance the budget.
    Which is why I don't understand the animosity directed at people who know their services will be cut, and who are upset in public meetings. Some of the people on this board must think that an EFM would shit rainbows. Like I said in another thread- riots are par for the course in Europe when stuff like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Which is why I don't understand the animosity directed at people who know their services will be cut, and who are upset in public meetings. Some of the people on this board must think that an EFM would shit rainbows. Like I said in another thread- riots are par for the course in Europe when stuff like this happens.
    Well, the animosity isn't because they're upset. The animosity is what they claim to be upset about. Of all the reactions one could have to being given the news, do you really think that claiming racism and making Hitler and Mussolini comparisons are really accurate? Or effective?

I don't think and EFM will shit rainbows. In fact, I -- and many -- people already know that it will be painful. We just see the alternative as even MORE painful. I read an article [[will have to find it) citing municipal bankruptcy as taking 4-5 years and $100MM in legal fees.

So, those are our two choices.

It's hard to sympathize with someone who is hurting when they're simultaneously verbally attacking and lashing out at you.

"making Hitler and Mussolini comparisons:"

"Godwin's law
    [[also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.
    Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form.[4] The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses. Precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.[5]
    Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[6] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.[7]"

From Wikipedia

Detroit's problems have everything to do with oil politics. In the late 1960's, oil production in the continental United States peaked and quickly began to decline. By the time of the first Arab oil embargo in 1973, over one third of all oil used by the United States came from foreign nations, primarily Saudi Arabia. Why doesn't this fact come up in any discussions on Detroit's decline.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Detroit's problems have everything to do with oil politics. In the late 1960's, oil production in the continental United States peaked and quickly began to decline. By the time of the first Arab oil embargo in 1973, over one third of all oil used by the United States came from foreign nations, primarily Saudi Arabia. Why doesn't this fact come up in any discussions on Detroit's decline.

Was that before or after Hitler's demise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast