Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Beware Franks Quick Lube on 14070 East Eight Mile !

Took my vehicle to Franks Quick Lube on 14070 East Eight Mile rd , Friday for an oil change. I usually go there, they do a good job. But, I got home checked my oil, it was dirty, the oil was not changed.. I looked at the grease fittings, they were untouched. I just wanted to let people know. They charged me for a service that was not performed
    Last edited by pgn421; April-01-12 at 02:15 PM.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I've been going there since it opened. The service hasn't been as great lately, but did they not show you the oil stick? I will be checking mine extra close next time around. I'm up for my free oil change soon...

They showed me the stick, but you really can't tell. I looked under the car and noticed the drain plug was untouched. Along with the grease fittings. I know oil is getting more costly. Give me a break! Going to stop by tomorrow and talk to Frank. No more free car washes, either.

I find that hard to believe if you go in with black carbon oil the new oil will get dirty quick. Get some sea foam don't over fill put half in the oil other half
    in the gas tank. Drive around for the day then while hot drain the oil
    let drip till it drips no more. Then pour one QT of new oil through to flush
    out. Then new oil and filter. Then you might see honey.

Black Gold-Nice video! Is there any oil change shops like that in Detroit area?

Occurrence Guest

In the amount of time it takes you to drive to a place and have them change your oil, you could just do it yourself. I never understood the oil-changes places and why they get so much business.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    In the amount of time it takes you to drive to a place and have them change your oil, you could just do it yourself. I never understood the oil-changes places and why they get so much business.
    Well speaking for myself, I can get the supplies & change it myself, try and figure out where to dispose of the old oil or I can spend $15 to get my oil changed at the dealership and save myself the time and hassle.

Well, that and I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Well speaking for myself, I can get the supplies & change it myself, try and figure out where to dispose of the old oil or I can spend $15 to get my oil changed at the dealership and save myself the time and hassle.

Well, that and I'm lazy.

If you ar getting your oil changed for $15.00 your not getting any worthwhile materials or no materials at all!

Go to Towers Garage on Gratiot across from Cheap Charlies, Eastern Market.
    You may pay a little more than just the cost of oil and a filter but Butch & Shawn will check extra stuff for you at no charge.
    Honest and very knowledgeable. His dad and uncle started the business decades ago. Dad's gone and uncle has retired.
    Check out this article about this place on my website;
    http://www.russmarshallphotographs.n...-TheActor.html
    Last edited by BRAZZMAN; April-02-12 at 09:31 AM.

Yep. You get what you pay for to a certain extent. I run synthetic mix oil in my car for extra protection and so I expect to pay over $25 and or more. I used to go to the quick lube places, now I just go to a full service car repair shop that I like trust and have them do it. Takes longer but I know all is well and checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    If you ar getting your oil changed for $15.00 your not getting any worthwhile materials or no materials at all!

It's never a good idea to deal with those independent Quick Lube places.

I heard of terrible experiences at Big Ray's Quick Lube as well.

Stick with the JiffyLubes and Valvolines.

Personally, I have little interest in crawling about under my car [[which should only be done with two wheel ramps - not a single jackstand as many use) pulling a engine pan plug and draining old oil and all. But I do my own air-filters and stuff. It's a rip off to have that done at a shop. Extra markup on the filter and cost to install...

I used Valvoline for years and years till they cracked my radiator housing shrowed causing me to have replace my entire radiator and claimed they did not do it. Granted the shrowed was plastic but they leaned on it when servicing the car causing a hairline crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's never a good idea to deal with those independent Quick Lube places.

I heard of terrible experiences at Big Ray's Quick Lube as well.

Stick with the JiffyLubes and Valvolines.

I stopped back at Franks, they redid my oil change and lube. No questions asked. I take back what I said. Thanks Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    I stopped back at Franks, they redid my oil change and lube. No questions asked. I take back what I said. Thanks Frank!
    LOL, you can't take it back.

This thread is the top search result in Google for "Frank's Quick Lube"

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1680&bih=925

I work all week...the last thing I want to do is do more work. Plus, I just run across Michigan Ave. to Casey's and grab a couple beers while they do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Plus, I just run across Michigan Ave. to Casey's and grab a couple beers while they do the work.
    And that's exactly what you should not do. Stay with the car and keep an eye on them. It's an oil change and it only takes a few minutes. Scam techs count on people not paying attention.

They re-did the OP's oil change with no question. How many times do they get away with this when the vehicle owner doesn't catch on?

Meddle- what is OP?

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Meddle- what is OP?
    Original poster.

Thanks Pam!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I get a deal at my dealership -- I highly doubt they're going to be scamming people on their oil changes and risk getting a bad reputation in the community.

Uhhhh, you really think that do you?

Nawwwh, no dealership ever scammed anybody. The Sun doesn't rise in the east either.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I get a deal at my dealership -- I highly doubt they're going to be scamming people on their oil changes and risk getting a bad reputation in the community.
    With the loss leader prices that many dealerships charge for oil changes that's the best way to do it [[especially if the car is still under warranty). You just need to be careful of the up selling for unnecessary repairs and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    With the loss leader prices that many dealerships charge for oil changes that's the best way to do it [[especially if the car is still under warranty). You just need to be careful of the up selling for unnecessary repairs and maintenance.
    Thank you for pointing out the obvious here. Yes, I got a deal when I got the car and I get my oil change, multi-task on my ipad and I'm out in half an hour and I don't have to worry about what to do with my old oil...which makes me wonder what some of the posters here are doing with theirs.

Crosspost to Detroit is Cheap?