Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default non-profits and Detroit

I've been looking for a new direction - I'd rather work for a non-profit than the business world. These organizations all seem to be HQd in cost-intensive New York, DC or London. With the low cost of office space compared to those cities [[not to mention the lower COL, important with the lower wages these places generally pay), I think it would be beneficial for them to move operations HERE. Perhaps there could be some sort of concerted effort to bring them to town

Moving HQs here is unlikely, although for certain cases it might work.

The HQs need to be near the donors, financial centers, and the media.

But moving operations centers here for non-profits is more likely.

good point. by all means they need to have offices in the capitals and near the UN. Operations is what I was primarily thinking

There are a handful of nonprofits headquartered in and around Detroit, and Ann Arbor. The Kresge foundation is a pretty major non-profit, headquartered in Troy. There are quite a few in Ann Arbor.

There are hundreds of not for profit organizations in Metro Detroit. Now if you want to work for a group that is heavilly into lobbying then you got to go where you can be most effective. Thats why DC has so many.

Hundreds of business's became non-profit in Detroit. Thats why they left.