Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fireworks next week..a good spot?

Hey all. I've been away for awhile but glad to be back.

The wifey and I are going to the fireworks next week and I'm wondering, what's the best spot? I've been down there a couple of times over the years but never in time for a "front row seat". I'm thinking Hart Plaza but interested in knowing about other good spots.

I have always wanted to see them from Windsor. Any tips on this?
    Also there is a plan to snap Mattty's illegal chains on DETROIT'S Riverside park that day to give the citizens a view of the fireworks from their own park.

I use to view the fireworks from the park across the river in Canada. It was a great view and departing was no hassle whatsoever. Unfortunately, I don't have a passport or that new modified license, so I plan to attend suburban fireworks. Last year I viewed it from River Rouge part and it was the most horrifing environment I have ever been a part of. A photo of the people at that park for the fireworks should be in the dictionary next to the word GHETTO.

You know, we were going to go to Windsor so we went to get our passports and they told us it would be 10-12 weeks before we got them. We inquired about expediting our order and they were talking something crazy like $200 extra per passport..I said, "no thank you" .

And speaking of this passport thing, why do I need to get a passport to get back into my own country? That doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by jita1; June-16-09 at 09:49 AM.

You might want to try Fort Wayne. My Dad usually took us Riverside Park. Had some great fun at the Veterans Memorial Building over the years. Shrapnel would sometimes hit the windows.

The passport/secure document requirement for US entry isn't being strictly enforced for some undefined amount of time. Probably at least for the duration of the summer. They'll still let you cross but give you a "Non-compliant" pamphlet and possibly pull you over to confirm your IDs.

Also, if coming to Windsor, keep in mind that there's an outside workers strike right now so most of our parkland has not been mowed all season and there is no end to the strike in sight.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
    You know, we were going to go to Windsor so we went to get our passports and they told us it would be 10-12 weeks before we got them. We inquired about expediting our order and they were talking something crazy like $200 extra per passport..I said, "no thank you" .

And speaking of this passport thing, why do I need to get a passport to get back into my own country? That doesn't make sense to me.

Mine took 3 weeks to come in without expediting after I was told 8-10 week wait. Might have changed since everyone is now scrambling after the deadline. You snooze you lose.

That's food for thought. We were going to get ours in early May, about a month before the deadline so maybe we would've gotten them in time. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    The passport/secure document requirement for US entry isn't being strictly enforced for some undefined amount of time. Probably at least for the duration of the summer. They'll still let you cross but give you a "Non-compliant" pamphlet and possibly pull you over to confirm your IDs. .
    Wow, didn't know that. Well, I guess it wasn't meant to be for us.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jita1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    Mine took 3 weeks to come in without expediting after I was told 8-10 week wait. Might have changed since everyone is now scrambling after the deadline. You snooze you lose.

Just a quick update: My newborn daughters passport took 4 weeks to process and arrive in time for our trip. Just bite the bullet and apply for that oh so cumbersome document.

I will be atop the RenCen.it's a beautiful site

I'll be getting on the People Mover just before the 10pm start time. When the People Mover gets to the riverfront, I'll press the emergency stop button and enjoy the fireworks from this elevated front row location in air conditioned comfort.

TO ALL: PASSPORTS WILL NOT BE NEEDED UNTIL THE END OF SUMMER. Currently the border patrol will give you leeway until the end of summer. Next time you cross though you will have to show a passport or enhanced driver's license as will everyone in your car. But as for now youi will not they will just give you a form that states what you will need to cross.

Homer, any update on the Riverside Park plan?

12th. St. Park at the foot of Rosa Parks where W. Jefferson ends at Fort St. The Free Press building is gone. Access by car from 12th or Trumbull past the missing ballpark. Park Btw Trumbull and 12th, on either Abbot, Porter, Lafayette or Howard. There's a couple charter schools over there and the occasional security guard watch what appears to be lots of [[what's left of ) small industrial shops and Parking galore.

Park your car and walk 4 to five blocks towards the river on 12th. The train tunnel betw. Lafayette and Fort dumps train under the river. Cross Fort and stay to your right as you walk toward the river. The cops will have this pretty much blocked off to cars. The road turns pretty ghetto as you near the river, and watch your step, it's getting dark, and the "parking lot" consists of old train tracks and is one ankle breaker after another if you don't pay attention.

Once at the river go left and head up stream, past all tents, past the crowd, past the Port a Johns, past the street lights, and find a spot, on the grass, or dangle your feet over the edge of the river. Walk too far and your view gets blocked by the Good Ship Lolli-Pop Whatever It's Name Is [[not the Boblo Boat). The Main post office is behind you, for a reference. Best Spot in town.

Okay, so my access to the river is through the Free Press property? Or somewhere else? And do I then end up west of Riverfront Apartments? Or are you intending to walk quite far along the river, up to the Cobo Arena area? This east-sider could use a few more specifics! Thanks.

gravitymachine Guest

i must be one of few to have mastered google maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.322...,0.007575&z=17

get there early, this spot isn't terribly secret

last year, we parked on Michigan Ave, walked Trumball to Fort, to the WCCC overpass. It was great, not busy, with a great view. I think that's the plan for this year, too.

I've always gone to Dieppe Park in Windsor - front row center, so you have to get there a little early, but you can actually spread out and picnic, unlike the Detroit side. You also have to be ready for traffic in and out [[which may reduced a bit this year, for the reasons stated here). Fortunately, there are still a couple of nice cozy watering holes nearby in which to wait things out.

I agree with many here that the passport requirement is infuriating, and I've made my position on it well-known elsewhere on this forum, but I have mine thanks to years of international travel for work and pleasure and see no reason penalize our good friends and neighbors in Windsor further for something that's inevitably going to hurt them and wasn't of their doing. Of course, the city workers' strike in Windsor may throw a wrench into these plans anyway, if the park is truly unmowed. I'll need to get more information.

Last edited by rajdet; June-25-09 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks everyone for the tips. We ended up going to the Rooftop party at the Miller Garage next to the Ren Cen [[I need to get a second job to pay that off..LOL) All I can say is WOW! What did you all think about the hearts? I was in awe because I've never seen that before. I talked to a couple of other people there who were equally amazed.