Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

GUSHI Guest

Default American diggers on spike tv tonight @ 10 Detroit

American diggers on spike tv tonight at 10

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    American diggers on spike tv tonight at 10
    Somehow I got lucky and successfully guessed that that was on channel 57 on my TV.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks, GUSHI.

GUSHI Guest

Your very welcome sir

I refuse to watch that garbage and I'm dreading the fact that others are watching. It's hard enough getting permission to metal detect on someone's property, but showing thousands of dollars in valuable finds [[Scripted, imaginary finds) will make it nearly impossible . I have a feeling I'm now going to be considered a liar when all I have is a handful of dirty pennies and some pull tabs to show a homeowner after a hunt.

GUSHI Guest

It's in Detroit the only reason I'm watch buddy,

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    It's in Detroit the only reason I'm watch buddy,
    Sorry, about that. These "reality" shows already ruined one of my hobbies [[Storage auctions) and now this one is threatening to destroy another. I'm not exactly happy about it.

I hope Detroit scrappers don't watch this. They will be trading in there torch's for a metal detector.

GUSHI Guest

who doesn't love treasure hunts without the map,

I missed it but can catch a repeat at 1am tonight. Agreed about these shows being crap, but I'm interested in the Detroit angle.

I have metal detected for the last 18 years [[spent 14 of them digging the beaches and ocean off Oahu) and yes in fact that was a sappy scripted and painfully produced show, if you enjoy the hobby I suggest visiting Chicagoron.com to see short videos of actual finds or watch the Nat Geo show "Lucky Muckers". I guess the Diggers show was just what we call entertainment these days, but in no way was it real.

Buy American Guest

I figured it was scripted but not to the point of actually using artifacts that were already on display somewhere.
    I watched Hardcore Pawn a couple of times until I saw a microphone on the waist of a woman they were carrying out of the store because of her language and demands....it is scripted, too.

Yeah, heavily scripted like the Storage Wars show. Can anyone believe the typecasting on that show, particularly the loser with a Jaguar and skeleton print workgloves who breaks everything and buys the worst container loads of the lot, consistently... On one show,they even had him shlep his overbearing jewish mother around to ramp up his humiliation, oy vey!

My 13 yr old son loves it, so I have to patiently enjoy it at times...

Hardcore Pawn
    I was at Slows last night having dinner and Les and Seth came in sat down right next to us.

I watched diggers lame. I do like the idea of digging in Detroit something i thought about doing more then once but never did.
    BGM

It was horrible and obvisouly scripted. They made it look like the guys were always in this horrible rush and the clock was ticking while digging. It was odd. Will never give it another chance.

I watched and I didn't realize that it was scripted. I won't be watching again. Because I can't stand the main guy Savage. He was driving me nuts with saying "baby" in every sentence. And, now that I know that they borrowed the little treasures that they found from an antique store. If that's what ya got to do to get ratings, you're not going to make it.
    I do love auction hunters and storage wars though!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbshan View Post
    I do love auction hunters and storage wars though!!

I hate to ruin the excitement, but the finds on Storage Wars are just as fake and scripted.

They have to be staged. Networks like these shows because they're cheap to make. The production costs would skyrocket if they had to go somewhere and hope they could find something.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Sorry, about that. These "reality" shows already ruined one of my hobbies [[Storage auctions) and now this one is threatening to destroy another. I'm not exactly happy about it.
    I'm curious. Do a bunch of A-Holes show up now trying to outrageously outbid people?

And is the same show as American Pickers or are these people actually digging things up with a shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yeah, heavily scripted like the Storage Wars show. Can anyone believe the typecasting on that show, particularly the loser with a Jaguar and skeleton print workgloves who breaks everything and buys the worst container loads of the lot, consistently... On one show,they even had him shlep his overbearing jewish mother around to ramp up his humiliation, oy vey!

My 13 yr old son loves it, so I have to patiently enjoy it at times...
    That guy owned a produce company before the show & therefore he's well off & doesn't really need to make any money. Losing $600 and $800 here & there doesn't mean much to him.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    I'm curious. Do a bunch of A-Holes show up now trying to outrageously outbid people?

The problem isn't really that the new bidders are "A-holes". The issue is that there are now so many people at the auctions with unrealistic expectations that it's nearly impossible to find any good deals [[I don't even bother going much anymore). The TV shows don't show the "reality" that most of what you pull out of a storage unit is worthless, filthy garbage. I have not watched the metal detecting shows, but I assume they are not showing that 99% of buried metal is worthless garbage as well.

Before the economy tanked there would be many auctions with only 5-10 bidders [[Sometimes only a couple at the poorly advertised ones). Around 2005-6 the number of bidders started picking up as the auctions went online and the lack of jobs forced some people into the business. Everything changed when the shows first aired in 2010. Auctions went from 10-20 bidders to a turnout as high as 150-200! I would say the average now is 30-40 people and often times many more. The prices have at least doubled for the majority of the auctions and the time it takes for each sale has doubled if not tripled [[It takes a while for 100 people to stare into 10 lockers full of garbage while they try to spot the gold hidden under the dirty mattresses LOL..).

Luckily the storage auctions were just a hobby for me, but I know a lot of people that depended on them to make a living. It's next to impossible to do that now.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-30-12 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khartoum View Post
    That guy owned a produce company before the show & therefore he's well off & doesn't really need to make any money. Losing $600 and $800 here & there doesn't mean much to him.

Yes, but as rjk states, the networks are fighting tooth and nail for an audience, and these shows are cheap to produce; no stars, no sets, handheld cameras and fast edit turnarounds... That's what reality shows are about; the market fragmentation that leads to diluted content. Even stuff like Intervention which is fairly well put together has some measure of fake in it.

Was in Las Vegas last week and went to Gold and Jewerly [[Pawn Stars) Non of the guys were there and the place is not like it looks on TV. 1/3 of their store is now devoted to selling merchandise like Tshirts, mugs, posters and other things with their likeness or Pawn Stars on them.....totally disappointed!!!