Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chrylser/Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne on 60 Minutues last night

I thought it was a very good piece.

I found it interesting that the top floor of Chrysler's Auburn Hills building, where the CEO and Chairmen used to keep their offices, is now totally vacant. Marchionne felt it was important for him to be on the same floor as the engineering department. In his words, "I can build a car with just the guys on this floor, and that's all I care about".

He also sounded sincere in stating that he "thinks the world" of American workers, and he credited their commitment to the company for Chrysler's turnaround.

Here is the link for anyone interested in watching it:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...;storyMediaBox
    Last edited by artds; March-26-12 at 11:31 AM.

i thought he was great. between that interview and him buying a place in metro detroit im a huge fan of the guy.

Great interview, down-to-earth guy. I can see why Chrysler is on it's way back, hopefully to stay this time.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Hey Southen,

On a completely unrelated note, I'm currently sitting in my office looking at three of your amazing Detroit photographs hanging on my wall.

For those that don't know, this guy is a seriously talented photographer.

thanks artds, i really appreciate that.

Very interesting guy. It's an encouraging piece that shows that people up and down the line can make a difference, and that a strong, smart leader can direct that energy into a coherent sum. Like a great orchestra leader.

Yesterday's Freep had in interesting article about the Lancia. Did you know that the 200, 300 and Minivans are being sold in Eurpoe as Lancias? The 200 version is going for about double what they go for here. So FIAT is badging current Chrysler Vehicles [[2 of the three from the metro), will be building a Masarati along side the Jeep and Durango at Jefferson, and finally building a version of a smaller euro-car to replace the Caliber [[with the Dart) just outside of Chicago.

No way would Mercedes ever do this. All they used Chrysler for was a way to control the large truck market in North America then threw em out with the bathwater.

Great PR piece for Chrysler. Personally, I love his comments about the Republican reaction to the Clint Eastwood commercial.

His comment that Chrysler can maybe afford one bad car now and still survive is very telling about just how competitive the industry is. Now you basically have just one vehicle in each category and it's sold in every country so you can't afford any mistakes in design, execution, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    His comment that Chrysler can maybe afford one bad car now and still survive is very telling about just how competitive the industry is. Now you basically have just one vehicle in each category and it's sold in every country so you can't afford any mistakes in design, execution, etc.
    How about one bad advertising campagin? As good as the 200/300 campaign seems to be going, the Fiat 500 marketing is just awful. Not selling well, either - they need to change their strategy.