Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Man killed in Detroit robbery attempt [[Dowtown Dollar General)

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/police-retired-detroit-officer-fataly-shot-armed-robber-20120323-ms

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120323/METRO01/203230458/1361/Man-killed-in-Detroit-robbery-attempt--police-say

The suspect and a second person entered the Dollar General on Lafayette about 8:30 a.m. armed with guns and demanding money, said Officer Dan Donakowski of the Detroit Police Department.

During the robbery attempt, the man pointed his gun at a store security guard who tried to intervene, Donakowski said.

The guard — a retired police officer — fired shots, striking him, Donakowski said. The suspect, who has not been named, was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead.

The second suspect fled on foot...
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-23-12 at 09:45 PM.

Was this the Dollar General in the Lafayette Park Shopping center that just opened last winter?

Weren't they having problems with shoplifting.

^^^^ Yes, per the article it is that store.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The guard — a retired police officer — fired shots, striking him, Donakowski said. The suspect, who has not been named, was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
    No sympathy here for the dead thug.

Buy American Guest

This is exactly why businesses don't thrive in Detroit. Too much criminal activity, theft, guns, thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    This is exactly why businesses don't thrive in Detroit. Too much criminal activity, theft, guns, thugs.
    Your such a positive voice on this board.

It's nice to see a Detroit related story with a positive outcome. The only thing that could have made it better is if it had never happened or if the guard had put a few rounds in the other POS as well.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-23-12 at 10:59 PM.

Title sucks. Should be "Piece of shit killed while comitting a crime". But he was such a quiet guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    This is exactly why some businesses don't thrive in Detroit. Others seem to not have that problem at all.

Maybe the second guy will tell his friends that it's just not worth it to try to hold up that shop.

He had to have been shaken up I suppose, he even dropped his loot which was recovered. This whole crime thing is why I try to look 'into' a store before I go in.... you never know what might be in progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    This is exactly why some businesses don't thrive in Detroit. Others seem to not have that problem at all.

Maybe the second guy will tell his friends that it's just not worth it to try to hold up that shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    You have a problem with people speaking the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Or he may gather his pals and go back to finish the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You have a problem with people speaking the truth?

Or he may gather his pals and go back to finish the job.
    I'm not sure if I'm hearing your tone accurately, but I'm imagining that you're hurt or angry both about the incident itself or the way people are reacting to it.

You're right on both accounts. To pretend that this incident is meaningless would be foolish. Let's not put our heads in the sands on this; this kind of stuff can't and shouldn't be tolerate by our community and our leaders.

My intention was to point out that perhaps we can learn from those business that seem to never be victims of these types of crimes in an effort to replicate their strategies and prevent them all together.

And to the moderators, not to be nitpicky, but shouldn't the headline be "Suspect killed in Detroit robbery attempt"? Subject line as it reads is unclear. My 2 cents.

Some thug doesn't want to get a job and instead goes around robbing places and gets killed during his thuggery?

OH WELL.

My thoughts go to the guard who now has to deal with the trauma of this event.

I hope that this will send a message to all of the thugs that these stores are not going to take it anymore. I am glad that the security guard was there with a gun the stop the situation. I had suggested to the owner of Lafayette Foods that a security post should be set up in one of the empty storefronts that lined the mall. Retred police officers and sheriff's deputies could work there as security guards. Many businesses will want to open shop in the mall knowing that there is a security command post of office in the mall. The city's officials, businesspersons, and planners had been anal when it comes to coming up with a plan to protect the business/retail district in the city

Then why exactly isn't there much retail left in the city?

And you can't buy american at dollar general

I dislike that it has come to this inhumaine and quick justice in this city and often this country. But it's hard to feel bad for the robber; a way of life that has long existed but which modernity has rendered even more violent. I hope for better things.

Oh, gimme a break! Not any more violent, just more efficient.

The damn handshake developed into custom to shake free hidden weapons up a sleeve! The world has always been a dangerous place, the aberration has been the last two generations...largely only in developed countries...and outside certain neighborhoods where the old culture was allowed to survive relatively intact, if not better armed and hardened by the system.

Then again, automatic weapons entered the underworld in this very town, through the evils of the Purple Gang. Ugh. Nixon's gambit to keep the inner cities down and out is about to backfire on us all, it seems.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    I dislike that it has come to this inhumaine and quick justice in this city and often this country. But it's hard to feel bad for the robber; a way of life that has long existed but which modernity has rendered even more violent. I hope for better things.
    Inhumane would be letting this dangerous robber sit in prison wasting tax payer money that could be better spent on...say feeding the hungry or education.

He pointed a gun at a person who also had a gun and was killed. He played the odds and lost. That's not inhumane treatment nor is it quick justice. He had complete control of his destiny.

That said, some of the other comments in this thread are disturbing.

Then why exactly isn't there much retail left in the city?
    Crime is certainly part of it. Change in the retail environment [[big boxes and internet shopping) are part of it. Sparser and poorer population in the city is part of it.

It is striking the difference in reaction to this violent action and the reaction of a gas station attendant or a neighborhood watch captain. We are either going to have a vigilante society where some Innocent people get hurt or we need to stop the violence. There is no in between and all this flip flop condemn one and praise the other is bs.

Can you please explain yourself here? What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It is striking the difference in reaction to this violent action and the reaction of a gas station attendant or a neighborhood watch captain. We are either going to have a vigilante society where some Innocent people get hurt or we need to stop the violence. There is no in between and all this flip flop condemn one and praise the other is bs.

The difference here is that this was a uniformed guard, former law enforcement, employed by the store, acting within the scope of his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It is striking the difference in reaction to this violent action and the reaction of a gas station attendant or a neighborhood watch captain.
    What "neighborhood watch captain" are you referring to? Surely you're equating this incident with the jackass who murdered an unarmed kid walking back to his dad's house with a box of Skittles.

If you are, you're a reprehensible jerk. But I'm hoping that's not the case.

http://bostonherald.com/news/nationa...orge_zimmerman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast