Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Palmer Park Apartments Revisited 2012

I took a visit to the Palmer Park Apartment district to see what the state of the place is. I took a lot of photos. Let me know what you think.

http://www.motorgay.net/2012/03/detr...partments.html

That neighborhood has really deteriorated just in the last four or five years. It seems like one day I'll drive past an occupied apartment building and then a month or so later, it's boarded up.

Oh, my. I remember that being THE place to live especially for young singles. Sad to see the state it has fallen into.

Somebody refresh my memory, please? Are these along 6-Mile, west of Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Somebody refresh my memory, please? Are these along 6-Mile, west of Woodward?
    Yes, north of 6 and west of Woodward.

Wow... I had friends in that orange Moroccan styled apartment. The units were nice back in the day. Nice detailing on the roof edge of the first corner building shown. I did not know PPark had deteriorated so.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-24-12 at 04:40 AM.

That used to be quite the artist community in the 1960's.

Thanks for the pictures Detroitgayhistory. Brought back some memories.

When I was around that area a lot in the late '70s it was the heart of Detroit's burgeoning punk/live music scene, with Bookie's sitting right around the corner on 6 Mile. Many of the musicians and other people involved in the scene lived right there.

More importantly as a matter of local history, it was the absolute center of Detroit's gay community back then. There were several gay bars along both Six Mile and Woodward, along with gay restaurants, and a gay bookstore. It was the heady first decade of gay liberation, and the sense of sudden joyful freedom could be felt all around that neighborhood, even by non-gay people. And there was also a substantial community of artists and activists of all sexual orientations. With that combination of people, and in that era of serious heavy partying and fun [[pre-AIDS too), the whole area was hopping day and night. Vacancy rates were low, people were coming from all over, and rents were rising.

What a shame then to see it in its present state. Especially since its such a large cluster of beautiful [[or once-beautiful) apartment buildings, in just an amazing mix of styles, right next to a large park, and with most of them featuring large prewar units with beautiful fixtures, hardwood floors, etc. A place never likely to be duplicated.

That neighborhood would seem like something that couldn't miss, or at least a place that would be ripe for reclamation and renovation. In any other city that perhaps would be true, but not Detroit. Instead, its been in steady decline for 30 years, with no prospects on the horizon but further decay.

Yet another missed opportunity in this city of missed opportunities.

My first apartment in Detroit is one of the buildings pictured. I have been in many of the building of that area. They were all gorgeous and with varying styles of Art Deco.

It pains me that such a beautiful area was left to fall apart. If that area was in Chicago or NYC every building would be occupied and would probably unaffordable to most.

God have mercy on us all.

The signs were all there, though. I remember around the mid 2000's going through there and the vicious looking types giving the stink-eye.
    Just like so many other neighborhoods...and here we are.

It is pretty scary there at night, I drive through there sometimes on my way to Menjo's. I'm always kicking myself for only having gone to Bookie's only once I think. These buildings are just so damn beautiful, it is a crime to see them in such poor shape. I can only imagine what the good ole gay days were like in this neighborhood. I see some hope for it though, with mid-town coming back, the great location of these old apartments could just cause a revival.

This view of Palmer Park Apartment seems a tad one-sided as there are a number of inhabited buildings, including some major rehabs going on.

The People for Palmer Park offers walking tours of the park and apartment district last October and it was fun and sad and eye-opening. They have a Master Plan for the park proper, which in turn should help attract more to the apartments.
    http://www.peopleforpalmerpark.org/

Does anyone has photos of the apartments including the whole area in it"s heyday during the 1930s to the 1950's?
    Last edited by stasu1213; March-24-12 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    This view of Palmer Park Apartment seems a tad one-sided as there are a number of inhabited buildings, including some major rehabs going on.

The People for Palmer Park offers walking tours of the park and apartment district last October and it was fun and sad and eye-opening. They have a Master Plan for the park proper, which in turn should help attract more to the apartments.
    http://www.peopleforpalmerpark.org/
    I applaud the work of People for Palmer Park. Their work is a very positive influence on the area especially the apartment district. There has been some improvement in the past few months, but in my travels around the city its one of the few places that makes me feel very uneasy.

It was just last summer that I realized that the fountain we use to play in as kids was originally in Campus Marcus. My wife and I stopped by there after a visit to Woodlawn Cemetery last summer. The fountain is over 100yrs. old and showing some ware but still a masterpiece of craftsmanship, in an area of obscurity for no one to appreciate. Shgh!

We drove around the apartments afterward and it was very sad and a bit scary in an area that was so vibrant in my youth.

Attachment 12733

A number of these buildings were bought in recent years by Shelbourne Development who restored La Vogue at 225 Merton [[I don't have an after pic). I walked through the neighbourhood with the developer a couple of years ago and she pointed out buildings that they were working on and ones they were planning to work on. At that time they were underway on Vogue and Palmer Lodge. It sounded pretty hopeful then with the work that People for Palmer Park are doing and work being done to stabilize certain buildings. The restoration work at La Vogue is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    A number of these buildings were bought in recent years by Shelbourne Development who restored La Vogue at 225 Merton [[I don't have an after pic). I walked through the neighbourhood with the developer a couple of years ago and she pointed out buildings that they were working on and ones they were planning to work on. At that time they were underway on Vogue and Palmer Lodge. It sounded pretty hopeful then with the work that People for Palmer Park are doing and work being done to stabilize certain buildings. The restoration work at La Vogue is top notch.
    Designed by Cyril Schley La Vogue Apartments 225 Merton built in 1929. I was very Happy to see the building receive the attention it deserved. Now if they could get the Palmer lodge up and running that would be a nice shot in the arm for the neighborhood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SteveJ Guest

I haven't been through that neighborhood in over 20 years and I'm pretty shocked by those pictures. It was starting to get bad in the late 80's and early 90's but it was still occupied though. Now it looks like a ghost town.

I used to live in 300 Whitmore [[second from last pic) up untill the very late 80's. It was a great building w loads of detail and nice floor plans. I was on the 4th floor w south and west exposure. The sunset views were awesome looking out to the many churches in the area. Even then no one would ever visit me. Late nights the area was full of hookers and hustlers. Even so, It was my favorite apt ever........ It was one of the less nice buildings then, but see its fared better than some. so sad...... thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I wasn't trying to only take pictures of ruin, I just took pictures of buildings I thought were beautiful. And I did see some signs saying that rehaps were coming. I think it is great. Thanks for the link Kathleen, I will add it to my article.

Given the relatively compact nature of the neighborhood and only a few ways in and out it seems like it would be a perfect area for a private security patrol. Of course, some actual police presence would be nice too.

I sure hope this area can make a rebound. Those buildings are such gems. What can be worse for an area than to have the gays move out?

Is the La Vouge finished or still under renovation?

I was on that tour Kathleen mentioned and it was far from being a "ghost town". There are still a lot of people living there.

Here's one that has been rehabbed:

http://www.1001covington.com/

It looks like the "sash weight" thieves have struck two of those apartment buildings. You will know that the "sash weight" thieves have struck when all the old wood windows in a building have been ripped out like the last building [[the cream-colored one) that is shown in SuperGay's blog.

I guess the sash weights, which are made of some kind of metal, have scrap value. They are hidden behind the window frame and and they act as a counterbalance to keep the window sash up when someone wants to open the window. In order to get to these sash weights the idiots have to rip out the trim and the bottom window sash comes out because they are held by the sash weights.

I don't know how long that cream-colored building has been vacant, but it's back door was wide open last summer and all of those windows were still intact. In June, I made a shoddy attempt at boarding up the door and boarding up some windows on the first level of the building whose glass had been smashed.

Now, it looks like the scrappers have been working on the building, and have torn up all of the windows to get to the sash weights. If this building was to be restored, the old windows probably would have been replaced anyway, but the unique thing about this building was that all of the window [[the top sashes anyway) were leaded glass, and not just the regular diamond or rectangle pattern, but the profile of tulips - very unique.

This is happening all over the city with the vacant houses and apartments that still have their original wood windows - leaded glass windows and stained solid oak and pine trim is being destroyed to get to the sash weights.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This is happening all over the city with the vacant houses and apartments that still have their original wood windows - leaded glass windows and stained solid oak and pine trim is being destroyed to get to the sash weights.
    And what is being done? Nothing. You can call the police for such activities and they will never come.

But Brezhnev, er, Bing reports we have a taco truck downtown. Be still my heart.

It reminds me of our once Chaldean Town that I drove through today [[also unspeakably sad). Why were these critical areas not actively stabilized, promoted, and PROTECTED by the establishment?

Thank G-d, now they're promoting Paradise Valley since they've invented it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    And what is being done? Nothing. You can call the police for such activities and they will never come.
    I had an apartment building behind my house partially burn and go vacant. Most of the building was fine. Then the scrappers moved in, they would be in there all day long, they tore the walls apart to get the copper plumbing. I would call the police and even give them the license plate numbers of the scrappers vehicles, the police might drive by, but they wouldn't even get out of their cars. A few simple arrests would stop so much of this, but the cops are too lazy to even get out of their cars. The 6th precinct has a phone number for community relations, I've called this number many times, it is never answered, ever, and all of my messages asking for someone to call me back were never returned. Some community relations huh? Fortunately, someone bought the apartment complex and amazingly they are doing a great job repairing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast