Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default New Loft Development at the Cafe Detroit Building

I haven't seen any discussion on this, despite how this crowd use to regularly patronize Cafe Detroit. What do you guys think about the rendering posted on the building? Stucky-Vital are the architects on the project. I really like a lot of their work; http://www.stuckyvitale.com/.

Great News! Especially in a recession

What is the address?

Until there are shovels in the ground that sign is just a pretty billboard. It's a very nice rendering...but all I see is an advertisement for an architecture firm. Is there a developer?

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I haven't seen any discussion on this, despite how this crowd use to regularly patronize Cafe Detroit.

i think the crowd that used to regularly patronize cafe de troit can be found in the forum which cannot be named

Where exactly is Cafe Detroit?

Germany...last I heard.

Toolbox Guest

Returned to her southern roots.

Putting a better facade on that building is what I always imagine when I look at it. I'm glad others feel the same way.

DetroitDad Guest

This is one of three buildings next door to the Boll Family YMCA and across from the Skillman Branch Library. The building is on Library Street near East Grand River.

Cafe Detroit was a coffee shop that was popular on this board. The owner used to post here before moving to Europe.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-16-09 at 02:44 PM.

Everyone who adores Cafe and adored her java joint knows how the previous land-owner treated her upon the end of her tenantship there...we had to have a damned emergency gathering to rescue her from the thugs he sent down...so we have graciously ignored that building from the extreme taint.

I hope he went down in financial flames and more.

If there is a new owner for that building, I wish them the best. If this is fashioned as high-end lofts...it won't go anywhere. $200 per square foot luxury lofts are SO 2007...they'll be lucky to get half that in this economy.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Where exactly is Cafe Detroit?

It was at 1260 library Street till some crotchety old codger had a stale bagel from the day old bin. Guess all the free advertising did not work for her.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Everyone who adores Cafe and adored her java joint knows how the previous land-owner treated her upon the end of her tenantship there...we had to have a damned emergency gathering to rescue her from the thugs he sent down...so we have graciously ignored that building from the extreme taint.

I hope he went down in financial flames and more.

If there is a new owner for that building, I wish them the best. If this is fashioned as high-end lofts...it won't go anywhere. $200 per square foot luxury lofts are SO 2007...they'll be lucky to get half that in this economy.
    I heard the previous owner did in fact lose the building in foreclosure, or something like that.

Where did the loft reference come from?

The sign on the building says office and retail space...

Was this building the Jerome Remick Music Publishing bldg or the J L Hudson Music store building? I wonder if the new facade is a restoration/adaptation of the original.

DetroitDad Guest

PCM, thank you for the correction. Maybe it did say offices or office lofts. I seem to remember that now that you mention it. The outside of that building is going to look much better either way.

2blocksaway Guest

i didn't know there was such a pent up demand for lofts in downtown.

last i heard they couldn't give the ones there now away.

DetroitDad Guest

Attachment 7519
    Attachment 7520
    Picture taken September 27th, 2010.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; September-28-10 at 11:59 PM.