Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Photo that gives me profound thoughts.

Received news yesterday of the death of retired DPD officer Paul Konopa. Paul was just a champ of a guy, one who was totally dedicated to the betterment of Detroit. He worked traffic safety for many years, and, yes, was the guy who took a Charlie McCarthy dummy into the schools and wowed the kids. Anyway, he passed away Wednesday, and it caused me to look up this photo. I am seated; Paul, an usher at my wedding in 1958, is standing second from right.

What struck me dumb today was the fact that the seven men of my wedding party standing behind me.......are all dead.

Drew the lucky straw, I guess. Sigh.

Ever see the episode of M*A*S*H about the Tontine?

M*A*S*H - Col. Sherman Potter was the last survivor among several of his World War I U.S. Army buddies, and thus inherited a confiscated bottle of French cognac.

Time to crack that bottle of Congac.

Yeah, I thought about that, too, Meddle. Never was a bottle of Congac, though, so I just uncorked a 2007 Merlot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Received news yesterday of the death of retired DPD officer Paul Konopa. Paul was just a champ of a guy, one who was totally dedicated to the betterment of Detroit. He worked traffic safety for many years, and, yes, was the guy who took a Charlie McCarthy dummy into the schools and wowed the kids. Anyway, he passed away Wednesday, and it caused me to look up this photo. I am seated; Paul, an usher at my wedding in 1958, is standing second from right.

What struck me dumb today was the fact that the seven men of my wedding party standing behind me.......are all dead.

Drew the lucky straw, I guess. Sigh.
    By the look of that floor, you're standing in my basement

That hurts! You have our best wishes for your continued good health and survivorship.

Whatever it is you're doing, carry on doing it! But sorry to hear about your friends deaths. It's hard. Wonderful photograph though - something to treasure.

Thanks, Ray, for sharing. Just remember....the last man standing has the greatest memories!!!

I'll take this opportunity to share this piece of wisdom....

When you think of your friends—whether they are friends for a reason, a season, or a lifetime—remember these words from Dave Brenner. "Friends are the most important part of your life," he says. "Treasure the tears, treasure the laughter, but most importantly, treasure the memories."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

I'll take this opportunity to share this piece of wisdom....

When you think of your friends—whether they are friends for a reason, a season, or a lifetime—remember these words from Dave Brenner. "Friends are the most important part of your life," he says. "Treasure the tears, treasure the laughter, but most importantly, treasure the memories."

Beautiful quote; beautiful thought. And so true!

I've always kind of liked the thought: "Young people talk of the future because they have no past. Old people talk of the past because they have no future."

That aside, I still have a few sunrises ahead that I'm looking towards!

Oh....Jcole.....that wasn't your basement. It actually was a VFW hall on Dix Road in Lincoln Park. Dunno if it's still there or not.
    Last edited by Ray1936; March-24-12 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Interesting, Ray. Enjoy the Merlot!

Stromberg2

The young man on the far left looks like he just drank something he is not to sure of.

That was my kid brother, Dave, Wheels. He was about 16 at the time, and yeah, I've often thought that same thought of this photo!

Dave died of a heart attack at age 66 two years ago. I miss him terribly.

I can't believe how much he looks like you. Sorry for your loss.

Stromberg2