Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ponchartrain Club

I found this pic of the Ponchartrain Club, from what I can find its a Wirt Rowland design. Does anyone have more information especially where it was located.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The tower looks surprisingly like the Towne Apartments. Also... there's no building windows in that image.... [[not done yet? or completion abandoned?).

Well spotted. It is the Towne Apartments. The Pontchartrain Club was one of several Detroit buildings that were abandoned during construction when the depression hit. The building sat empty and unfinished for over 30 years until it was modified into an apartment building and finally completed in the the early 1960s.

So, the answer to the original poster's question is that it is located at First and Bagley, albeit in a highly modified form.

Wow! I looked at that and the first thing I thought of was it was proportionate to the mass of the Town Apartments. Thanks for the info! Never knew its history.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Well spotted. It is the Towne Apartments. The Pontchartrain Club was one of several Detroit buildings that were abandoned during construction when the depression hit. The building sat empty and unfinished for over 30 years until it was modified into an apartment building and finally completed in the the early 1960s.

So, the answer to the original poster's question is that it is located at First and Bagley, albeit in a highly modified form.
    It pays to look up! I have always thought there was more to the Towne. Thx for the info!!

I always thought there was something odd [[not the tower) about that building... thanks for the info P69 and EastsideAL.... I'll have to study its details more closely the next time I drive by....