Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Unusual Homes in Detroit

Unusual Homes in Detroit
    There used to be a series of about six homes that stood out from the rest in this neighborhood. They were small and identical, being 20 X 20, or less, all common brick, on the west side of the street and located somewhere between Ryan and Mound, W & E and Eight mile and Seven mile N & S. We called them an unacceptable term for Little People houses, only through our ignorance. I did do a search on this site using one of those terms but there was only a reference to the west side of Detroit and not the east.
    Does anyone know what street these houses were on and their history?
    Thanks

Interesting! I want to know more.

I looked at the pictures but those were new. These were plain common brick and all identical ,old and extremely small I was in that area in the 1970 and they were old then.
    I'm in the process of email this information to Little People of America [[LPA) Michigan chapter. I'll let you know if they have any information. Lumpkin street may be the right street and they tore them down as being too small to sell.

Well, they were new in 1938. And on the west side of the street. And they are still there, north of State Fair. You mean they were built specifically for little people?

Maybe they are the houses with the exteriors enlarged and modernized. It was just passed down among us in the area that they were built for Little People. They were smaller then a 20 X 20 Garage and made of common brick they were very well kept homes.
    I just emailed the Michigan Chapter of Little People of America and will paste any information the have
    FEO

Maybe those are the homes just enlarged and moderdnized to sell as the ones in the 70s were smaller then a 20X20 garages and plain common brick but very well kept on the outside. As for being built for Little People it was just something passed down through those that were in the area. If I get any information from Little People of America [[LPA) Michigan chapter. I'll post it.
    FEO
    Last edited by FEO; March-22-12 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Duplication in sending

Nice layout of the sidewalk with the row of homes. They are small! 1938 leaves out defense housing and its a little late for the depression [[possibly). Very neat grouping-once again the city will suprise you!