Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is being built in Old Redford?

Workers were pouring foundations this week in the empty lot west of the Redford Bowl ruins in Old Redford today. This is across Grand River from Old Redford Academy. Does anyone know what is being built there?

Hopfully a new and exciting restuarant or a retail store that would one day revitilize Old Redford Commercial District.

I'm guessing fast food.

That is interesting. There are a lot of vacant commercial buildings in this area. The car dealership just got some crappy furniture store. There is a Wendy's next to that and a White Castle across the street and a McDonald's is just down the street, so I kinda doubt fast food, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    That is interesting. There are a lot of vacant commercial buildings in this area. The car dealership just got some crappy furniture store. There is a Wendy's next to that and a White Castle across the street and a McDonald's is just down the street, so I kinda doubt fast food, but you never know.
    Fast food likes to be near other fast food. So I'm guessing Jack in the Box!

It is a Family Dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Fast food likes to be near other fast food. So I'm guessing Jack in the Box!
    I doubt it.

There haven't been any Jack in the Box locations in Michigan since the mass Salmonella outbreak back in the early 1990s.

It's mostly a west coast restaurant now.

That said, some type of fast food restaurant is going up on that vacant lot at the corner of French Road and Gratiot, on the east side. It's certainly better than what was there before.

These places used to put up "coming soon" signs during construction, I'm not sure why they no longer put them up.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I doubt it.

There haven't been any Jack in the Box locations in Michigan since the mass Salmonella outbreak back in the early 1990s.

It's mostly a west coast restaurant now.

<snip>
    I can dream, can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I can dream, can't I?
    Jack in the Box is actually a dream that could come true. They retrenched back to St. Louis around 1980. They recently opened a restaurant in Indianapolis, a city that did not even have Jack in the Box back in the 60's and 70's, because I grew up there and remember seeing them only in Chicagoland......The new restaurant has been a big success, and Jack in the Box is interested in branching out in the Midwest, much like Del Taco has done.....

Whatever happens at that site is a bit exciting. I go to the Redford Theater 4 or 5 times a year and the Old Redford area seems to be showing some signs of life.

Old Redford is a very eclectic area, it must have some interesting history.

Saturday I went to Duffy's Den on Six Mile for a beer with a couple friends and then to the Redford Theater and there was a good crowd at the movie and a fair number of people patronizing the businesses by the theater. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Old Redford is a very eclectic area, it must have some interesting history.

Saturday I went to Duffy's Den on Six Mile for a beer with a couple friends and then to the Redford Theater and there was a good crowd at the movie and a fair number of people patronizing the businesses by the theater. Pretty cool.
    They have a decent sized art community there. Hopefully in the next few years it will expand and you'll see more retail at the intersection of Grand River and Lasher.

A lot of what's going on over by the theater is because of Blight Busters. I did some work with them for a few weeks in May and June and they've had a hand in several businesses down there such as Sweet Potato Sensations, Motor City Java House, Detroit Candle Co., and Detroit Tire.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    A lot of what's going on over by the theater is because of Blight Busters. I did some work with them for a few weeks in May and June and they've had a hand in several businesses down there such as Sweet Potato Sensations, Motor City Java House, Detroit Candle Co., and Detroit Tire.
    If Meijer"S" does build in Old Redford, you can give much of the credit to John George and his Blight Buster's for what they've done.

Anyone else interested in neighborhood redevelopment should take notes.

Meijer's may be built in the Old Reford Area. Old Redford is a area while local folks can do their community business. Another Meijer's will be built on 8 Mile Rd. and Woodward Ave. That's enough space to lure shoppers. Let's see what the new Meijers on Granriver and Six Mile Rd. can do? Like destroying the local businesses of Old Redford.
    Last edited by Danny; July-25-12 at 12:41 PM.

I was looking for the Redford HS thread to update it-- work has started on the development there. There is a construction fence, there are hard hat caution signs, and a sign on McNichols from Lormax Stern, the developer. Workers' cars are in the back lot every day. At this stage, they are supposed to be remediating the asbestos and fuel oil in the old building. Lormax Stern's web site now lists Redford Marketplace with a Meijer store as one of their properties. So, it looks like there will actually be a store there.

As for the new building on Grand River-- it actually IS a Family Dollar store. It is open now, just west of Lahser.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Meijer's may be built in the Old Reford Area. Old Redford is a area while local folks can do their community business. Another Meijer's will be built on 8 Mile Rd. and Woodward Ave. That's enough space to lure shoppers. Let's see what the new Meijers on Granriver and Six Mile Rd. can do? Like destroying the local businesses of Old Redford.
    Danny, that's quite old think. The businesses of Old Redford are quirky, independent shops, for the most part. If anything, the increased traffic in the vicinity is a great opportunity for them. Bring it all on. Soon I hope we'll all complain about the increased property values and congested streets.

Property values aren't going to increase anytime soon, Meijer's or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Property values aren't going to increase anytime soon, Meijer's or not.
    Actually, in my area of Oakland Co., prices are on the way up. I don't live very far from Redford Theater. In some areas near my neighborhood prices are up noticeably. Where I live home prices are increasing, but not rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Actually, in my area of Oakland Co., prices are on the way up. I don't live very far from Redford Theater. In some areas near my neighborhood prices are up noticeably. Where I live home prices are increasing, but not rapidly.
    Real Estate prices is indeed a 'market'. Like Eastern Market or a middle-easter bazaar. Prices aren't set by the Commissar of Property Values [[yet). They're individual transactions.

Even in a 'down' market, certain areas or types of property may be increasing. The presence of a Meijers will guarantee increases in commercial property nearby. Retail loves traffic, and being with other retail. The Commissar of Property Values doesn't understand this.