Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Broadway Street Developments

This little stretch of 3 blocks downtown is quite the beehive of activity. Lot of things are happening and I turn to forumers who may have the latest news on any of these developments.

Anchoring North Broadway is Dan Gilbert's Madison Building. This has been getting a fair amount of attention in the press, so I think we're pretty well informed. However, moving south a few storefronts Small Plates has closed their doors. A recently placed sign on the front door says they will reopen April 5, 2011. I'll assume this means "in a few weeks." The last few years have been topsy-turvy here, with changes in ownership and a Chapter 11 filing. I've heard it's going to reopen as a sports bar, which seems fitting for the neighborhood, but I'd prefer something more original. Does anybody have more to add here?

After a flurry of activity at the Wurlitzer, nothing much has happened recently aside from more bricks falling into the Alley.

In the middle block, The Boll Family YMCA always seems active, and that's a good thing.

But SoBro may have the most activity. A "gospel cafe" is planned for the old City Warehouse spot in the Merchant's Building. They've been working on it for a few months now, mostly at night, probably after their day job.

Across the parking lot is the Harvard Square Building [[not sure of it's original name). It was once a proposed loft development by Dennis Kefallinos, who I believe lost it for back taxes and reacquired it. A few years ago, the storefront was a nightclub. They're doing some work on it now. Comcast and the soda syrup people have all stopped by recently, so something is imminent. I don't think they're doing anything upstairs, but those could be some nice lofts. However, based on Kefallinos past loft developments, they will probably be done on the cheap, if they're ever done.

The night club Mandee's closed late last summer not long after 3 people were shot in an incident there. Now, KaCent, a restaurant [[club?) formerly located in the 600 block of Woodward has a sign on the plate glass window.

Blumz Floral Designs moved out of the first floor of the Tobin Building at the intersection of Gratiot a few months ago. They're now one block away on Library St next to Vicente's. One of those private mail box operations occupies the space now.

Across the street is another Kefallinos property, the Cary Building. This was one of his earlier loft developments. Then it was vacant for a while. Near as I can tell, someone occupies one of the upper floors now. I always thought the huge, arched windows in that building would make the best lofts around. Several months ago the medical marijuana joint on the Gratiot-facing storefront moved out and blinds went up in the Broadway facing storefront. A hand-made sign on the glass directed you to the front door of the "wellness center." I could see lights on the the narrow opening of the blinds, but never saw one person enter or exit. Now, they've got a more permanent "Massage Therapy" sign above the door.

Next door, Henry the Hatter seems to continue going strong.

And next to Henry is the former Bert's on Broadway jazz club. It seems to have gone through a few changes lately, but last summer seemed to be doing an ok lunch biz with a sidewalk grill, tables and the occasional piano player. After being closed most of the winter, it opened a month or two ago for just a few weeks. Newspaper went up on the glass, and now it's down again, but not yet open. I can't remember if the sign over the door is new or not. Blazin' 7s, I think it is.

And finally, the Lafer Building seems to keep occupants in its lofts judging by the lights I see at night and dogs coming and going with their owners.

So forumers, they say the neon lights shine bright on Broadway. But what's going on behind the scenes?
    Last edited by downtownguy; March-21-12 at 02:24 PM. Reason: the usual sloppy typoos

CJ Mahoney's is moving in to the ground floor of the Harvard Square Building - they have locations in Troy and Rochester Hills...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...or-opening-day

Thanks for that AG. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for possibly just a "temporary" location. I'm guessing that's just a negotiating tactic, though.

Also, I talked to someone at Blazin 7’s yesterday, and he said his place is going to be a sports bar – ETA is opening day [[April 5th).

Three new sports bars within 3 blocks. And do you think I'll be able to watch the ponies race in any of them?

Yay and not yay for the sports bars. Yay because that's 3 new businesses downtown! Not yay because, let's be honest the one thing downtown has plenty of is sports bars. But hey who am I to complain about investors buying into Detroit. Does anyone have concrete details about Small Plates though? I just ate there in late January or early February and didnt hear anything about closing. That has been my favorite downtown spot:/

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Yay and not yay for the sports bars. Yay because that's 3 new businesses downtown! Not yay because, let's be honest the one thing downtown has plenty of is sports bars. But hey who am I to complain about investors buying into Detroit. Does anyone have concrete details about Small Plates though? I just ate there in late January or early February and didnt hear anything about closing. That has been my favorite downtown spot:/
    l agree, good and bad. I am however excited about BW3 because they are actually family friendly. My son and I like to go out to watch sports and it’s sometimes hard to find a place that is geared towards sports – and less about the drinking [[especially Downtown). IMO the current sports bars Downtown [[as a whole) are average at best.

Any of you ever visit the area around Wrigley Field? Something like 60+ bars and all hopping when the Cubs play. Even in winter they still do a LOT of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    I feel the same way. Yay and nay about sports bars. And new businesses are good. I wonder if they will have any special appeal on non-sports days, though? At least the Broderick is slated to have 3 new restaurants, and I don't think any of them are "sports bars."

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    l agree, good and bad. I am however excited about BW3 because they are actually family friendly.
    As much as I tend to shun chain restaurants, I'm excited to see if they respect the historic facade of the Odd Fellows Temple building. If they do, I'm sure I'll stop in. But my all time favorite wings are still at Sweetwater Tavern for now.

The trends & market will dictate whether these places stay open or not. if a good place sticks, it will stay. detroit beer co is an anchor, as is Cafe 1515, Henry Hatter. But if there is an oversaturation of sports bars, there will be losers, and other ventures will come in.

the last block waiting for some activity on this side of the neighborhood is along Brush between Madison and Gratiot, where the Courthouse Brassiere used to be. My window faces this block and I've seen people coming in and out of the Brassiere, and the building next door has a new Bail Bonds in the storefront, it honestly seems pretty dead. but there is potential here for a comeback, especially if the parking lots between Harmonie Park and Brush were made more pedestrian-friendly, so you could easily jaunt across to check out another restaurant or watering hole.

The real anchor of north Broadway.... [[except it has limited hours)....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some might say Grand Circus Park is the real, real anchor...

I would rather have plenty of cafes or coffee shops than plenty os sports bars. Especially on Broadway. The strip shuold be a haven for shops, cafes, large and small theatres, and a couple of restaurants. Not sportsbars. Broadway shuld be alive even on days when there are no games or plays going on.

[QUOTE=downtownguy;310440]And finally, the Lafer Building seems to keep occupants in its lofts judging by the lights I see at night and dogs coming and going with their owners. QUOTE]

I think there is only one vacant unit in our building - Lafer Building [[aka Broadway Lofts).

Our loft...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JG_olRfc-8

[QUOTE=AGinthe313;310510]
    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    And finally, the Lafer Building seems to keep occupants in its lofts judging by the lights I see at night and dogs coming and going with their owners. QUOTE]

I think there is only one vacant unit in our building - Lafer Building [[aka Broadway Lofts).

Our loft...
    Wow, great looking spot. And that location is killer.

Nice video and great place. The song is very fitting since you live on the same street that music was allowed to incubate.

[QUOTE=AGinthe313;310510]
    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    And finally, the Lafer Building seems to keep occupants in its lofts judging by the lights I see at night and dogs coming and going with their owners. QUOTE]

Our loft...

Let's see - most people order one coffee or beverage when going to a coffee shop. If it's like a Panera you get a free refill. Otherwise, you might buy two. Average cost per drink = $2.00

At a sports bar - the average drink order is 3-4 drinks per person. At an average cost of $3-4/beer. So a coffee shop will generate $4.00/person and a sports bar will generate $12.00/person with often an appetizer order.

I think we all love coffee shops - but the margins are too low to realistically cover/rent expenses unless the churn/turnover is very high - which you tend to only get in dense settings [[e.g. Ren Cen/DMC Starbucks). I'm the first to admit they look quaint/cozy but are more often done as a "labor of love" than a viable business.

Don't fret, Small Plates lovers... the new owners are keeping the concept and the location, with a little freshingin up. Great news!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...tes-in-Detroit

^^Thank god!

Well, that's good news, isn't it? Thanks for the update cramerro.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Let's see - most people order one coffee or beverage when going to a coffee shop. If it's like a Panera you get a free refill. Otherwise, you might buy two. Average cost per drink = $2.00

At a sports bar - the average drink order is 3-4 drinks per person. At an average cost of $3-4/beer. So a coffee shop will generate $4.00/person and a sports bar will generate $12.00/person with often an appetizer order.

I think we all love coffee shops - but the margins are too low to realistically cover/rent expenses unless the churn/turnover is very high - which you tend to only get in dense settings [[e.g. Ren Cen/DMC Starbucks). I'm the first to admit they look quaint/cozy but are more often done as a "labor of love" than a viable business.
    Sports Bars may profit more on their drinks than coffee shops do but coffee shops help build a district. You could take 9 mile rd and Woodward in Ferndale, Main St in Royal Oak, Old Woodward in Birmingham, Kercheval in Grosse Pointe, and Michigan Avenue in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. They have more coffee shops and bagels, bread shops in their communities while Detroit has little to none in it's. When there is not a game going or when it is earlier in the day, the district that has the sports bars is a ghostown. Greektown thrives with only one sportsbar. Broadway is deserted on a Monday afternoon when Small Plates and the other businesses are closed. Coffee shops have a steady stream of customers coming in all day and not just night time or when a game is going. Which one would a business district want in the neighborhood

Name:  3_26 153.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  39.6 KB

CJ Mahoney's @ Harvard Square Building...