Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default CJ Mahoney's coming downtown. Who's next

Can Detroit handle all of these bars.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...or-opening-day

The article says its a temporary bar in a closed barspace. Don't get your hopes up yet.

They also said they plan to find a permanent space even if this location does not work out. So we have Olga's, CJ Mahoney's, Buffalo Wild Wings, and all of the Dan Gilbert retail plans so far announced for this year. And it's only March. And that doesn't include the 8,000 restaurants that seem to be planned in Corktown. Anything I missed?

Flintoid, you missed the three new restaurants in the Broderick Tower and the new bar at 30 Clifford Street [[over by D'Mongo's)

^^ and two other new sports bars on Broadway [[see the Broadway thread). Let's not forget the "new" London Chop House, either.

Keep these places coming!

YESSS!! I agree, wait until fall season. Downtown Detroit is going to see dramatic changes with Broderick Tower filled with residents and 3 restaurant/retail open, along with "Hopefully" full-going renovations @ The Whitney Building Apartments [[Aloft Hotel). Dan's 3 buildings on Woodward almost completed, fill with office, residential, and retail. Bringing thousands more office workers Downtown. Keep it coming...[[Not to mention Midtown/Corktown Development)

I hope they agree to a long term deal at the Harvard Square Building. Lot 1210 was a terrible for the neighborhood. It was nothing but trouble, featuring fights on a nightly basis and regular gunfire. It was basically the Broadway version of LAX. It was very sad to see that happen, because the previous tenant [[The Hub) spent a fortune remodeling the place.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    YESSS!! I agree, wait until fall season. Downtown Detroit is going to see dramatic changes with Broderick Tower filled with residents and 3 restaurant/retail open, along with "Hopefully" full-going renovations @ The Whitney Building Apartments [[Aloft Hotel). Dan's 3 buildings on Woodward almost completed, fill with office, residential, and retail. Bringing thousands more office workers Downtown. Keep it coming...[[Not to mention Midtown/Corktown Development)
    It's going to be a great year! Let's not forget the Capitol Park projects either Very very bright times in Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    It's going to be a great year! Let's not forget the Capitol Park projects either Very very bright times in Detroit!
    I think it really needed that tipping point. Strength in numbers of places. Once things get rolling, the momentum of downtown businesses keeps growing....and then even more people move in. Very exciting time.

I'd like to see a BD's Mongolian BBQ Downtown - I think it would do well. The ground floor retail space below the Kraemer Design Group [[across from the YMCA) would be a great spot for BD’s. Yeah I know it’s technically a national chain, but it was founded in the Detroit area, and the HQ is still here.

The answer to the question is YES. Detroit can handle more bars. Always

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    I'd like to see a BD's Mongolian BBQ Downtown - I think it would do well. The ground floor retail space below the Kraemer Design Group [[across from the YMCA) would be a great spot for BD’s. Yeah I know it’s technically a national chain, but it was founded in the Detroit area, and the HQ is still here.
    Yeah, I can see that being there, nice open space. I was actually thinking of an Express Men clothing store of some sort..lots of professional "metro-sexual" around now .

Tom Everson, owner of the CJ Mahoney’s Troy L.C.C., said the bar will be ready for the Detroit Tigers’ first game of the season, April 5 — albeit on a temporary basis.Everson is still working to finalize terms of the lease but said he is opening a CJ Mahoney’s in downtown Detroit even if this location doesn’t work out.“If for some reason this deal falls through, we will look for another location,” Everson said. “We are gonna come to Detroit. We will leave our mark on the city.

No doubt, they are going to leave a mark tomorrow. The have a website for their "Opening Day Bash" A $40 ticket on the Tiger Party Bus [[departures at 9am and 10:30am) gets you a ride and a full bar to juice up early. A $10 ticket gets you front-of-the-line entry into the bar downtown "just 2 blocks from Comerica Park." It's 3-4 blocks actually.

I'm withholding judgement, though, until I see what they plan to do after opening day. For now, they have done little to leave their mark on the outside of building, the former Broadway Exchange Building [[historic Manning Brothers photo), save for temporary vinyl banner over the old sign. That may be good if you consider how their two suburban strip mall locations look. This is a gorgeous, historic building going back to 1926. The architect was George Mason, whose other commissions include Masonic Temple and the Detroit Yacht Club.

I hope they do well, decide to stay, and don't bring too much craziness to the block.
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-04-12 at 03:07 PM.

I think they'll do ok, but there are a lot of really cool bars in Detroit to compete with. The successful ones have found a way to be a little different. I hope they find their niche, they'll need to to survive.

CJ's had some fun on opening day...

Name:  IMG_6411.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_6406.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  41.3 KBName:  IMG_6407.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  61.7 KBName:  IMG_6408.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  43.8 KBName:  IMG_6409.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  43.9 KBName:  IMG_6410.jpg