Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Color Me Disconcerted...

...but waking at 5:50, noticing that I hadn't closed all the windows in the house before falling asleep...

...and THEN realizing that it wasn't chilly enough to worry about. 57 degrees overnight.

On March 21st. During a week of record-setting temperatures...and one of the weirdest storm movements in my memory. [[those tornado storms were pushed from NE winds, not western ones)

People are almost unanimously happy with this warm weather...but I cannot join the party. Something is really wrong with the weather, and the Sun. I don't care what the so-called experts say...I've read their apologies. They don't fit reality.

I'm going to start the garden early this year, at least a small portion of each veggie will get planted before the usual time. I won't care if the experiment fails, since it would only be a small portion of seeds. But if it succeeds, we might have more than one harvest. We'll see.

Definitely will have to design some form of adaptive shadow-casting for the garden this year, though. Gotta turn down the volume of the Sun a wee bit.

Sincerely,
    John

People are almost unanimously happy with this warm weather...but I cannot join the party. Something is really wrong with the weather...
    I am a little weirded out too. Hope it doesn't mean we will be 90+ degrees during summer.

This has nothing, or very little, to do with the sun. Like I mentioned in another weather thread, it's all about the jet stream, which has been sliding to the north for a dozen or so years [[with a couple of dips here or there), possibly as a result of a warming Gulf of Mexico

Which, arguably, includes the Sun...as at least heat source.

I feel sunlight hotter on my skin. Sunrises and sets are painfully piercing white when they used to be delicate yellows...those 'golden hours' so cherished in old Hollywood are long gone.

That said...as far as the effects of the Gulf of Mexico...I've been wondering and waiting to see how the crude-water-fertilizer experiment BP started was going to affect other things in the ecosystem. Someone said the Gulf Stream was going to just go away...that was the clear results of some oil/water turbulence testing at a university, at least. Best way to stop a water current is to introduce oil in significant quantities.

I gave myself heatstroke last summer, from jogging in the morning with 78 degrees but very high humidity. Surprised me that I'd almost check out at 78 degrees...from a 6-mile jog/walk with a bunch of water on my belt. There were more reports of people dehydrating and even dying during marathons this past year. So much for my goal of finishing three this year...now the goal will be just getting to the end of each daily jog.

Cheers

The level of solar activity has been at a century-level low for the past few years. In other words, the sun was weaker when you gave yourself heatstroke. the increase in solar flares last year resulted primarily in higher x-ray emissions, not heat. The work that purported to tie temperature increases on earth to solar activity have been thoroughly debunked. [[see work by Gavin Schmidt and Rasmus Benstadt relating to Henrick Svensmark, for example)

The lack of the morning yellow sun is simply a reflection of one thing -- fewer particulates in the atmosphere to scatter the sunlight due to increased control of emissions