Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: MicroCenter

Default MicroCenter

Does anyone think that Microcenter computer store would be good for downtown Detroit? I love going there to buy parts for my computer. A great spot would be on the corner of Gratiot and Vernor[[the former Joe Muers site). Do you guys think that Micro Center would do good in dowtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does anyone think that Microcenter computer store would be good for downtown Detroit? I love going there to buy parts for my computer. A great spot would be on the corner of Gratiot and Vernor[[the former Joe Muers site). Do you guys think that Micro Center would do good in dowtown Detroit?
    Interesting idea but all the taxes kill any effort.

Did you ever think to go to Computing Express in the Penobscot Building or Radio Shack in Midtown -- two businesses that are already located in Detroit?

Sure if they came to the D that be great! I love MicroCenter and have spent a great deal there over the last year for my printing and computer needs. Good deals and far more variety than Radio Shack.

Hunh? What are you saying? No MicroCenter does not sell clothes...
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Ain't needer them even clothes ,comparin to MikeRoe Cenner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hunh? What are you saying? No MicroCenter does not sell clothes...
    You can get close at The Broadway......

I'm a huge MicroCenter fan. From a computer parts perspective, they have ANYTHING that you need. It would be cool to see them downtown, but I don't know if it would work out.

Presently, their current location at I-75\14 Mile\Concord in Madison Heights is genius. With all the CompUSA's gone, Microcenter is the only computer parts mega-store, and it's location right off the freeway allows it to serve a huge area. I live at 10\Ryan in Warren, yet this store is still only 15 minutes away.

I don't know if this store would work out in an area where there is more potential for shoplifting. That's an assumption on my part, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think think it would be an issue.

Also, I don't know if there's demand for it yet downtown. I'd like to see a few little corner grocery stores first [[everyone needs to eat). But of course we'll need to see more residents.

I really don't think a residential population is that far off though. Demand for housing [[along with prices) have risen greatly. The Gilberts of the world are more than willing to renovate [[and possibly build) to meet this demand and make some money.

I would just love a MircoCenter closer to me period. As an IT Professional I really don't have many options in a pinch if I need certain components and the drive out there makes no sense when shipping costs me less.

I wouldn't exactly call Gratiot & Vernor Downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Did you ever think to go to Computing Express in the Penobscot Building or Radio Shack in Midtown -- two businesses that are already located in Detroit?
    I am unfamiliar with Computer Express, but going to Radio Shack to buy computer equipment is like going to Niemann Marcus to buy running shoes. You're going to overpay, your selection will be limited, and the salesman probably doesn't know anything about running.

Microcenter is fantastic, however, their business model is to open as few stores as possible, to avoid the market dilution that eventually killed CompUSA. Microcenter isn't competing with other computer stores, they are competing with the internet. And you can't do that with the overhead of multiple brick and mortar stores in each market.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I am unfamiliar with Computer Express, but going to Radio Shack to buy computer equipment is like going to Niemann Marcus to buy running shoes. You're going to overpay, your selection will be limited, and the salesman probably doesn't know anything about running.
    I'm not saying Radio Shack or Computing Express rival Microcenter, I'm just saying there are some options in the city. Computing Express is an interesting place. Limited on selection, but they did a fine job fixing my computer a few weeks ago. And, they have a full fledged Post Office inside.

I can't think of any reason they would want to move in to Detroit. What incentive would they have to do that?

There is no reason why they couldn't do a mobile truck with some of their hottest-selling merchandise...and a setup/repair bench. That would be kinda fun, actually. I could imagine a setup like the Mac and Snap-On trucks, only computers.

I've never spent time on their website, but imagine they could make some form of delivery service. But occasionally, they'd park behind Taco Joe's...or any outside some other enterprising lunch spot that wants to draw out the new techies in town. Food and gear...within walking distance of the office?! That'd be too cool.

I get 1 percent off the top for the idea...LOL...

Cheers

No I don't need men's clothes [[smile). But I do need to get close to a clothing store local to pick up some spring items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    You can get close at The Broadway......

Excellent comment on Radio Shack. And if you think buying there is a pain, working there is even worse! They have this weird 'worker bee' fake-incentive-to-manager pay scale, commission percentile, formulatic hierarchy mess there.

No one really makes any money working for them. No one stays long... But I do go in and purchase some items for RS once a year or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    ...going to Radio Shack to buy computer equipment is like going to Niemann Marcus to buy running shoes. You're going to overpay, your selection will be limited, and the salesman probably doesn't know anything about running.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-21-12 at 11:55 AM.

They are not coming downtown. There's no 'upside' for them to do so. I like that they have a some stuff there for Apple and PC and I like their Canon line of printers and ink supplies. Some stores just do PC though that's less of an issue than before. But Ebay is my first stop point for the deep deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I'm a huge MicroCenter fan. From a computer parts perspective, they have ANYTHING that you need. It would be cool to see them downtown, but I don't know if it would work out.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-21-12 at 09:48 PM.

Computing Express keeps banker's hours and would not cater to those who would wish to shop after they get off work. Parking is horrible downtown for those who would wish to purchase a computer from Computing Express and carry it to there cars. MicroCenter would run Computing Express out of business and out of town. The reason I had suggested Gratiot and Vernor is for the space could hold a large parkiing lot for store. The store wuld had done good in the Lafayette Towers strip mall. The area is very close to downtown and the freeways. There is plenty of parking. The store could hire it's own security

The reason I had suggested Gratiot and Vernor is for the space could hold a large parkiing lot for store.

HERETIC! Don't you know that DetroitYes has banned any and all parking lots from Detroit?

Metro Detroit lost out about 15 years ago when Fry's did not purchase the Incredible Universe store, and instead it became a Dave and Busters.

The only two Fry's in the midwest are Chicago and Indianapolis, both former Incredible Universe stores.

That said, Microcenter had great deals....

MicroCenter has 23 stores nation wide, the next closet location being in Ohio. They are primarily a mail order company. The chances of them opening another store in Michigan, let alone in downtown Detroit, are slim.

First of all Radio Shack has made the change for the worse. Used to love going there as a kid, but today I look at Radio Shack as a place where you can get a crappy cell phone and get raped when you need some electronic part that they carry out of convience.

Last time I was in there I was in a rush and needed a $6 audio cable. Went to the 13 and Gratiot store and there was only 1 sales rep in the entire store talking to some lady about a battery for her 20 year old cordless phone.

So I go ahead and find what im looking for on my own. I finally find my item, and go to the checkout counter and the sales person is still wasting his time finding this lady a battery for her cordless phone. I wait a few minutes, and he finally rings her up. I get ready to pay for my item, and then the sales person starts his pitch by telling this lady it would be cheaper to get a cell phone than keep her cordless phone.

Im getting irritated at this point because I just want to get the hell out of there, and place my item on the counter with a $20 bill to pay for it, and this guy is still going on with his pitch.

I think finally after 5 minutes this lady says she is not intrested and leaves. I finally get my chance to pay for my item, and I get the same pitch on buying a cell phone. I tell him I already got a cell phone, and then they attempt to sell me a $3 extended warranty on a $6 Audio cable.

I just lost it with the guy at that point, and asked him why the hell would I spend $3 for a warranty on a $6 cable, where chances are if the cable ever goes bad, do you honestly think im going to remember where I put my receipt to come back in and get the item replaced under the extended warranty.

Not to be rude, but 15 minutes to go in a store to buy 1 item is crazy.

Microcenter is getting worse also. I love their sales people, but I can't stand the line to check out.

Im spending my money in your store, and you expect me to wait in front of 30-40 people to check out before me?

I went to buy a computer there and they tried pulling that crap with me by putting the item behind one of the cashiers and telling me to wait in line. I told the sales person I wasn't waiting in line, he went to his manager and they pulled me aside and checked me out at the returns counter.

Can't tell you how many times I had to go in there for 1 item and just walked out of the store due to the line.

Bottom line, we can use another microcenter type store in Troy, preferably right accross the street from Microcenter.

I hate to say it, a store in downtown would never make it, as most suburban people would rather go to Troy than downtown detroit.