Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Obama to force Chevy, Dodge out of NASCAR!!!

Obama hates cars ? Well I'll email all of my ex-friends. [[Because of politics).

This crap has got to stop.

I hope that this is an April Fool's joke! I'm one of the few black folks who actually like NASCAR!

I'd be pissed if this were actually true [[maybe I'm just overreacting to all this)!

Eh, who cares, if the companies can actually get their loans and stay afloat.

Failing auto companies don't need to be spending any money on this kind of useless sponsorship anyway.

Angry Dad Guest

On one car web site, nine pages of replies in one day.

[[GM Inside news)

I was sort of curious about the responses. You would think a "buff site" would be all against the NA$CAR exit.

They weren't.

It was split.

Personally, what NASCAR was, too bad they sold out. It sucks these days. I would have a hard time going to MIS even if the tickets were free and most of mine have been over the last couple decades.

If there is a message in the story it how the fans of cars hate what NA$CAR is these days.

I'm a drag racing fan anyway. If NASCAR went by the wayside, it would not be missed.

Attachment 222
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-08-09 at 11:01 PM.

Uh huh... way to go Car & Driver. Some April Fool's gag. I guess some folks take their NASCAR pretty seriously.

I support you BO, but damn!

I still like nascar,But I don't get upset when I miss the races on TV anymore. If Obama did make Chevy, Dodge stop backing the teams it does support. He really would not be welcomed at Nascar events since alot of drivers,owners and fans seem to support republicans.

The sad part is this story isn't out of line to people after considering the recent actions of this administration

I used to be a major fan of NASCAR but haven't watched a race in years. Got tired of watching more commercials than I did race and hearing the moron commentators repeating what the other one said. Daytona 500 3 years ago my wife and I put a stop watch on the first hour. In the first hour 42 minutes of commercials, 18 minutes of race. We gave up. You can't complain to NASCAR. They don't provide any type of comment or email address. I guess as long as they get their millions they don't care.

Flying J & Rid I know what your talking about. 3min till I get kicked off myself. Big Mama helping improve DetYes by setting up parental controls.

Managed Entertainment Racing like NASCAR is on its way out. I think racing should improve the breed and serve a purpose in making autos more efficient, safer and better all around. NASCAR does not do that. They just adopted non-leaded fuel but still use carbs and push-rods. Not many production vehicles still use those technologies. NASCAR is running 1950's technology in the 21st century. I think the American Le Mans Series presents more relevant technological solutions, particularly since they are running hybrids and alternative fuels in endurance races where efficiency, speed and reliability are important.

Getting out of NASCAR is a big "so what" for me. While NASCAR used to be a great platform for the "sporty" models, with all the restrictions/rules/etc. designed to take the edge out of the car, especially with that ill conceived Car of Tomorrow, it makes no difference what name plate is on the car.

Besides, I was around in the '70's when our oh so intelligient Federal Leaders allowed the Japanese to dump their cars on the market <dumping being the illegal tactic of flooding the market with product far below market value> and grab market share away from the former Big Three... so why shouldn't they complete the job and concede the racing circuits to the Japanese as well?

If anyone subscribes to magazines like Car Craft, Hot Rod, Car & Driver, they'll realize these April Fool's pranks are nothing new. Last year HR ran an article that American Motors was going to be revived. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ars/index.html

I liked NASCAR, say like 30yrs ago when they actually ran cars that bore some resemblance to the ones coming off the production line & the drivers weren't a bunch of pretty boys acting as shills. Granted, I fully understand about safety, but these "cars" they race nowadays are basically clones of each other & more or less serve as speeding billboards for sponsors. I'll occasionally tune in for a race like the Daytona 500 or road course but I'm not glued to the set; it basically boils down to a wasted afternoon of constant advertising. As an aside, it's time "Digger" was converted into road kill.

Too dumb for opera
    Too smart for NASCAR

" Last year HR ran an article that American Motors was going to be revived."

Hell yeah -

Attachment 244
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-04-09 at 07:52 PM.

seems ann coulter got punk'ed by this as well...

If Obama can tell GM and Chrysler that their participation in NASCAR is an "unnecessary expenditure," isn't having public schools force students to follow Muslim rituals, recite Islamic prayers and plan "jihads" also an "unnecessary expenditure"? Are all those school condom purchases considered "necessary expenditures"?

heres the link to the full rant [[ if its still posted )

quote is about 2/3's the way down

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=31317

AMC brings back the Javilin I'll start watching Trans Am racing. I do wonder how much is gained nowdays by the auto makers funneling money into Nascar.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    AMC brings back the Javilin I'll start watching Trans Am racing. I do wonder how much is gained nowdays by the auto makers funneling money into Nascar.
    Brian, I've often wondered it myself. Being a Dodge guy, if I don't know the number of the car, IE #2 is the Miller Lite Dodge driven by Kurt Busch, the "Charger" looks just like a "Camry" on the track. There is little resemblance to the production model.

The "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" strategy was effective in the 60s going into the 70s. The car you bought from the dealer was practically the model that raced that previous weekend; granted the race teams modified the hell out of them, but at least the body was distinctive from the competitors Not to mention the factories were pouring money into R&D along with technical assistance to the NASCAR teams. That's how the Daytona & Superbird were developed then put into action. With the 426 Hemi, they were tearing up the super speedways. Then NASCAR put the kabash on it saying "swoopy" cars could only run Wedge engines & not Hemis. The general public wasn't warm to those designs, so sales were dismal; the few that remain today are worth a fortune.

To sum it up, NASCAR's Car of Tomorrow[[COT) program has pretty much blurred the lines of distinctiveness into one of generic blandness. When you can tell the difference between a Chevy, Dodge, Ford & Toyota on the track again, then maybe the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" effect would be true.

I agree with you Dan, IF they didn't put those headlight and grill stickers on the front of the cars you would be hard pressed to know the differance.But as everything else these days, everyone and everything is supposed to be equal.Who can say if things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I agree with you Dan, IF they didn't put those headlight and grill stickers on the front of the cars you would be hard pressed to know the differance..
    LOL You made me think of the Pixar movie Cars where Lightning McQueen is continuously called "stickers" by Sally Carrera because he has no headlights. I guess even the animators & writers were wise to NASCAR.

If they ban Chevy and Dodge because of excessive costs, who will sponser the Navy and Army teams in Nascar ? Boy, my taxpayer dollars going for that ? It never ends.

I haven't been to MIS in 3 years due to the COT.Bring back the days when the cars were somewhat showroom.Around the 2000 season,they went to the common car style.Something was lost in the hoopla.Then they went to a "chase" or playoff.I'm done.I'll watch the Daytona 500 because its the NASCAR Super Bowl,but thats it.As for the pushrod/carb. motor,they should go to a fuel injection/management system.Not fully computerized like F1,but something close.And put the stock bodies back on.Millions have been spent on aerodynamics by the Big 3,Nascar should used what has been developed.
    Nissan,Toyota and Honda in.Ford,Chevy and Dodge out.Nascar done.

I believe the Air Force & National Guard sponsor teams also. Those good ol' recruiting tools.

That's right...I remember the Dodge teams actually ran a car that resembled the Intrepid & did so again a few years ago for evaluations because of problems with the Charger body.
    Where engines are concerned: Why can't Dodge use the Hemi? It's a stock motor used in regular vehicles. Oh yeah...NASCAR considers that an unfair advantage.
    I have to admit, I'm not up on EFI as much as I should be. Do you think going in that direction would cause more headaches for the pit crews? Esp if they have to take the time to hook up a laptop to make adjustments. Any info on this aspect would be appreciated.
    Again, I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but why can't the teams run factory bodies on a NASCAR approved chassis with all the safety gear? And again, why can't the engines sold by the factory be used, provided they fall under the 360cid limit? I'm just some dumbass consumer, so what do I know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast