Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vive Le Nain! Le Marche du Nain Rouge Parade - Sunday March 25

DetroitYES is pleased to be a sponsor of the Nain Rouge Parade and Festivities. For the unfamiliar, this is one of the most joyful and quirky-fun events to emerge in recent times.

Le Nain Rouge or the Red Dwarf is a Detroit legend who appearance has been alleged to presage evil events in Detroit and therefore needs to be banished.

But does he? Are the problems his fault? Or ours? The Native American take is different as noted in Gazhekwe's post from last year cited below.

Isn't Detroit big enough and open-minded enough to welcome Le Nain and bring him over to our side? How about instead of driving him away we welcome him? I say yes and 'Vive Le Nain Rouge'. Besides doesn't Detroit need the all the residents it can get?

This is a fun-for-all event. See pictures and video of last year's event here.

Legend has it that le Nain Rouge was an Indian child, and not a dwarf. The French called the Indians Peaux Rouges, so the term Rouge would in this case refer to that terminology. The skin would not be bright lipstick red, but the color of mahogany, maybe. The child is the son of Miche Piishoo, the Great Lynx, the water spirit who controls the lakes, and whose good will can make for safe travels and good fishing. After some benighted Catholic priests destroyed a stone that had been chosen as a place to honor Miche Piishoo, the son was determined on vengeance. That is what his appearances indicate, not so much an evil created but a vengeful, 'Take that, Detroit!'

In some sense, his appearances could be regarded as warnings, in the same way that his father sends warning of unsafe travel in most cases. The bad things happen, but if we heed the warning, we can protect ourselves. We might be able to appease the little red one by again creating a place for those who wish to honor his father. Respect is all anyone wants, including a powerful water spirit and his son.

Gazhekwe's post

Hope to see everyone there.

Let's have a march to drive the Doritos Locos tacos out of detroityes.

I can't wait! It gets bigger and better every year.

Can't wait, last year's parade was enjoyed by the better half and I.

Beautiful day for this year's event. The Grillmaster and I checked out the pre-parade gathering and saw lots of friends and Forumers!! Looking forward to Lowell's photoessay of the festivities!!!!

I need a nap now...this party burned me out.

What an absolute blast.

More when i wake up...

Cheers!

It was fun to see all the unusual get-ups; Gannon's Lady Godiva outfit was outstanding; even though I don't think that Brazilian waxing was necessary, it was impressive.

You said it was the only way I could ride your ass, horsey!

I guess the nap evolved into sleep. What a great way to spend a Sunday, though. I kept trying to get an estimate of the crowd, but it was too disperse after the initial gathering spot...and people just kept on coming after the parade was over.

WDET said 3,000...and I don't doubt that a bit. I kept hovering around 2,500...so if someone had a better vantage point, or studied the pictures, for better estimates...I cannot argue.

Regardless, it was too much fun to see so many beautiful people together for an impromptu party...and whoever had that banner made recommending the Nain for Financial Manager deserves the Key to the City.

My favorite? Valkyrias dressed as Lady Ra-Ra, complete with a Ren-Cen hat...and attitude. She wore celebrity as if she were made for it!

Our party spilled over to the Miami, but we ended up leaving after one drink...because the folks behind the bar were moving like it was a normal Sunday, oblivious to the four-deep thirsters clamoring for their attention. I left angry, but got over it.

Cheers, all...let's do this again next year!
    John

I wish it wasn't the same time as the Greek Independence Day Parade! I missed it this year because of that.

I agree with you Christos, also it was the same day as the bike show at Cobo Hall.