Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Parent Triggers

Default Parent Triggers

I had not heard about the 'trigger' laws movement.

Naturally, this will immediately 'trigger' the usual response from radical teachers and other defenders of the status quo -- but if anyone has any real comments here I'm curious about the strengths and weaknesses of this idea.

For one, I do find that the argument that 51% at any one moment is sufficient to 'trigger' change. And I'm a supporter of charters. But mob rule is a valid concern.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...-trigger-laws/

I like the idea because it gives a threat to the status quo. Simply turning a public school into a charter probably would do little to fix the education system as a whole, but it does give teachers, unions, parents, and the entire community something to fear if they can't show progress. Right now, what does the public education system fear? Nothing.