Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

highjinx Guest

Default Train Of The Past Question

In the picture, there are wires dangle over the R/R Tracks. As a kid, when we took trips we went by train. I would notice sets of these type wires hanging over the track just before an overpass that crossed the tracks. What was the proper name for them? What was the purpose of these wires? Was a height indicator of some type? If so, wouldn't the train be traveling to fast to stop if it was too tall. Thanks for your responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by highjinx; March-19-12 at 01:57 AM. Reason: deletion

If a brakeman was riding on top of a car being switched on the line, it was a warning to him to drop down and lie flat on the top of the car because an overhead obstruction was coming. In such cases, the car was movig at a slow enough speed during switching that the brakeman had time enough to react.

I've always heard these referred to as "tell-tales."

Heh. Hence the phrase "tell-tale signs." Learn something new every day.

highjinx Guest

Thanks for the info everyone.

The telltales even made it to a very popular Lionel product. The 3424 Automatic Brakeman car from the 1950's.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Rocko [[back from the dead) says:

Until about 5-6 years ago a few of these remained along the West Side of the Miller Road overpass over the MC mainline right at Rotunda in Dearborn, over where the yard tracks used to be to the south of the main tracks. I believe these have been removed, or at least the handing portions have, when Ford rebuilt the area and now uses it for an F-150 transport lot. There's a good picture showing this area from back in the day on page 19 of the book "Heartland" by Greg McDonnell.

Speaking of railroad stuff. I've seen archways over the tracks in my travels. I believe down around the airport? They looked to be cement and spaced somewhat close together. Use or ornamental?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Speaking of railroad stuff. I've seen archways over the tracks in my travels. I believe down around the airport? They looked to be cement and spaced somewhat close together. Use or ornamental?
    This link may clear things up:
    http://detroit1701.org/Henry%20Ford's%20Electric%20Railroad.html

Quote Originally Posted by ASR89 View Post
    Those are the ones. Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by One Shot; April-15-12 at 02:53 PM.

I learn a lot from being a forum member here.