Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Suppliers may follow Fiat

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/306149973

Excellent Crain's piece on how Italian auto suppliers may be looking to set up shop in metro-Detroit. What do you want to bet that the leadership in Detroit is making absolutely no attempt to land these suppliers and that they will all end up in Oakland County [[like the German suppliers did after the Daimler merger)? My guess is that the Detroit leadership is either [[a) completely unaware of this happening or [[b) too apathetic to do anything about it. The shame of it is that with all the land in the city proper it would be a great place for a supplier to set up shop. Influential DYes readers should get on this and alert those in leadership positions to work towards getting these suppliers to locate in the city, my guess is the Oakland County leadership has already started.

lilpup Guest

Why go to empty land in Detroit when there are newer, empty facilities in the suburbs?

Doesn't even need to be empty land here in the city [[although this would allow them the opportunity to build according to their specific specifications).... there are plenty of empty buildings here in the city that could be easily converted given the right set of tax and other incentives. The shame is that these suppliers have to end up somewhere, yet it is Oakland County that will land them... not because they are an objectively better place to locate, but because they have an actual functional government that is probably already working on packages to woo these suppliers.

I like the idea but what's the message? Let's say I'm a supplier and I plan to set up shop somewhere around here in order to attract Fiat Chrysler orders. Let's further say you work for the City of Detroit and your job is to convince me that it is a good idea for me to locate in the City. What's the sales pitch?

How about we start with the fact that Detroit is famous all over the world as the "Motor City." Detroit leaders could also say that we'll work to beat whatever Oakland County has to offer. I guess my frustration isn't so much that Detroit may lose out on some business in a fair fight but that the city council probably won''t even lift a finger to bring these jobs to the city [[of course they'll certainly complain after the suppliers have already decided to move out in the 'burbs).

Suppliers may follow Fiat.........................to China?

Detroit leaders could also say that
    our residents are just stupid enough to elect Kwame TWICE...

our residents are just stupid enough to elect Kwame's Mommy serveral times...

our residents are just stupid enough to elect MonCon to the City Clowncil...

you can establish your business in an area that may or may not have its streetlights operable, your trash picked up once a quarter, your streets plowed when it snows...

shall i go on?

Why go to empty land in Detroit when there are newer, empty facilities in the suburbs?
    I see the point he makes, but lilpup is right too. From a business standpoint, there are all kinds of brand new, empty plants around the Palace, built just before the economic crash.

I always said I liked doing business in Detroit and with Detroiters - I just hated doing business with Detroit. As in City Hall - the administration, the bureaucracy. The police department is unimaginably f*c#ed up, unfortunately for citizens, businesses and visitors, and of course, the cops who try so hard to do a good job. I always wondered if there was any department or agency of the city that could possibly provide nice, friendly, prompt and professional service.