Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

But if UDM wanted to, they could open up that neighborhood beautifully.

UDM does have a program to incentivize employees to live in the area, and I know many do. However they do need to get rid of the fortress like feel. It's the University District for christ's sake.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    But if UDM wanted to, they could open up that neighborhood beautifully.
    With what? For one, UDM has a miniscule endowment of about $22 million [[yes, that's miniscule) because they have been reinvesting alumni donations in large proportion over the last 20 years to scholarships to local kids [[City of Detroit students included and very well represented, but not often credited) in order to keep their undergraduate student population above 6,000. Beyond that, I'll just say that it is more than just simply "opening up" that neighborhood. McNichols Campus is no Wayne State. In the mid-1990s when I lived in the neighborhood there was a ton of shit going on in that area - involving students, non-students, etc., that was never publicized. Very much like what is described regarding the "the beyond midtown/downtown" Detroit that so often gets ignored. Sure, north of the all-of 70 acre campus is fine, but east, west and south simply isn't.

I purchased my first home in the UD 2 yrs ago and I couldn't be happier.

It's quiet, peaceful and my neighbors are fantastic! I came from the IV and as much as I love the east side nothing beats the Palmer area in Detroit.

Sure things can get a little crazier during the summer months but it's nothing to worry about. We do have private patrol paid for with a modest association fee [[it's not mandatory). Like any decent Detroit neighborhood it's well organized and your neighbors have your back.

If you have a clue about living in the city you'll do just fine.

I love the homes in the University District, and have walked/ridden through a number of times, admiring the beauty. One of the nicest looking neighborhoods in Michigan.

Unfortunately, it falls short on my expectations for schools, taxes, safety and services. If it could just upgrade the safety and services, I think many folks could deal with the schools and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I love the homes in the University District, and have walked/ridden through a number of times, admiring the beauty. One of the nicest looking neighborhoods in Michigan.

Unfortunately, it falls short on my expectations for schools, taxes, safety and services. If it could just upgrade the safety and services, I think many folks could deal with the schools and taxes.
    As a resident of the district I can agree with the schools and taxes. However the area is a safe area, and we do get the trash picked up and the association has a good relationship with the police, and for the most part the neighbors watch each others back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2