Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions on living in University District

Looking for your opinions on this neighborhood. Possibly looking for something to buy. I am generally familiar with UD, but not intimately. I love all the custom-built Tudor revivals in the neighborhood.

Any info would be helpful on:

-Crime, i.e. occurrence of break-ins, robberies, car thefts, etc?

-Neighborhood association, useful/helpful?

-Security, is there private security contracted?

-Response time from 12th precinct?

-General demographics, i.e. families, students, retirees, etc.

Thanks very much!

Sounds as if you're casing the joint!

You should check census records and tthe neighborhood organization.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Sounds as if you're casing the joint!

You should check census records and tthe neighborhood organization.
    Haha. I assure you, I'm only interested for legitimate reasons. I've reviewed the census tract data, which is helpful and read up on the association, but personal opinions are always much more valuable in determining the overall vibe of a neighborhood.

Whenever I drive through UD, I see a lot of kids, some older folks and middle-aged couples. Homes and yards are very well-maintained. Almost no derelict homes- I think I saw one or two due to fires. No trash or garbage in the street. No broken down vehicles. Street lights all working well. Yard signs were current. No vandalization of property or graffiti.

It was reassuring to see no burn-outs hanging around or wandering down the streets. So far, I have all positive impressions of the neighborhood. Same goes for Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, and Palmer Woods. However, I am simply partial to the UD architecture.

Lovely neighborhood, very low crime by Detroit standards, and you can see the people take pride in their homes. I go for walks through there quite often. It's amazing that you can get a home in there for the current prices.

Oh, and you asked about private security. The neighborhood does not have private security but the University security officers [[who are deputized police by the City) do patrol the area.

I know their association is quite active and if you're used to the additional annoyances of city living [[it isn't Sterling Heights, after all), which I'm sure you are, I'm sure you'd like it.

I live in East English Village for many of the same reasons [[architecture, well-maintained, active association); I thought about UD but EEV seems a bit more walkable with bars and stores and the like, and its close to the water.

Aside from greater downtown, these are the areas[[like the ones you mentioned) that will survive. I find it's also where the die-hard Detroiters end up [[the ones who refuse to move to said Sterling Heights) and defend the neighborhoods like its their young. It makes them great places to live and VERY close-knit, as a result. Over the holidays I had too many parties in the neighborhood to attend...a good problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I know their association is quite active and if you're used to the additional annoyances of city living [[it isn't Sterling Heights, after all), which I'm sure you are, I'm sure you'd like it.

I live in East English Village for many of the same reasons [[architecture, well-maintained, active association); I thought about UD but EEV seems a bit more walkable with bars and stores and the like, and its close to the water.

Aside from greater downtown, these are the areas[[like the ones you mentioned) that will survive. I find it's also where the die-hard Detroiters end up [[the ones who refuse to move to said Sterling Heights) and defend the neighborhoods like its their young. It makes them great places to live and VERY close-knit, as a result. Over the holidays I had too many parties in the neighborhood to attend...a good problem to have!
    Good to know. UD makes more sense for my situation given our commute to the western suburbs. It would be difficult for anything east of Woodward.

Living in UD, I think I would actually spend more time in Ferndale than downtown due to the fact that I could easily bike to Woodward and 9 Mile.

Overall, UD sounds like a solid neighborhood. It's on the list of places I'm looking at if I ever leave downtown.

There is a private patrol. It doesn't patrol 24/7, as it depends upon how many people subscribe and there aren't enough for that, but they are around a good chunk of the time.

At this point, my impression is that there are a lot of childless couples and a lot of retirees. There are some children, but you don't see them all that much, and sometimes I think the ones I do see are grandchildren visiting. In general, the neighbors are friendly and often helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Living in UD, I think I would actually spend more time in Ferndale than downtown due to the fact that I could easily bike to Woodward and 9 Mile.
    If you do end up there, perhaps you'd be interested in working with us on the midtown to Ferndale bikeway project. We haven't quite got off the ground yet, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    If you do end up there, perhaps you'd be interested in working with us on the midtown to Ferndale bikeway project. We haven't quite got off the ground yet, but soon.
    Possibly this isn't the right thread, but could you sketch out what the idea is? In particular, what would the route be and what would make it a bikeway?

What the route would be, is still entirely up in the air. What would make it a "bikeway" is that it would be a route comprised of streets that either already can accommodate bicyclists pretty well [[low traffic counts for instance) or can be modified [[bike lanes) to do so.

The University District Community Association has an impressive website with links to their current and past newsletters. Very informative.

Well, I use that gas station sometimes, and strictly speaking it isn't in the University District, but no one should think the area is crime-free.

Don't count our Sherwood Forest either. I've always had a love for that neighborhood.

I used to live near the University district back the 1980s. Still is a well kept up ghettohood filled with colonials, tudors and fancy prarie and victorian style bungalows. Next to University of Detroit Mercy. A once a open to the public institution now a fenced up private quarters for preppy-up college kids and the street ball almost powerful Detroit Titans basketball team.

Still is a well kept up ghettohood filled with colonials, tudors and fancy prarie and victorian style bungalows.
    I guess people differ on what constitutes a bungalow, but in my opinion there is only one bungalow in the University District. Two years ago I walked down every block and looked at every house specifically trying to determine how many bungalows there were. I only found one, and it is somewhat eccentric. It is between Clarita and 7 Mile, either on Muirland or Wildemere. There were two other houses that were somewhat bungalow-like. I can't think of a lot a prairie-style houses either. There is one vaguely prairie-style house on Birchcrest between Curtis and Pickford, but that is the only one that springs immediately to mind. I have never gone looking for those though. Could be another project.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I guess people differ on what constitutes a bungalow, but in my opinion there is only one bungalow in the University District. Two years ago I walked down every block and looked at every house specifically trying to determine how many bungalows there were. I only found one, and it is somewhat eccentric. It is between Clarita and 7 Mile, either on Muirland or Wildemere. There were two other houses that were somewhat bungalow-like. I can't think of a lot a prairie-style houses either. There is one vaguely prairie-style house on Birchcrest between Curtis and Pickford, but that is the only one that springs immediately to mind. I have never gone looking for those though. Could be another project.
    I dunno, isn't the definition of a bungalow a house with 1 1/2 floors? I live in one, and even though it has all the historical geejaws it's still a bungalow because of that.

Opinions differ. I think of it as a particular style of house, rather than a size. Certainly it is very typical for a bungalow to have 1.5 stories.

The following is reasonably close to my idea, although you can't really tell if there is an open floor plan by looking from outside, and that doesn't constitute an essential element in my mind:

http://www.bungalowhomestyle.com/abo...definition.htm

"A once a open to the public institution now a fenced up private quarters for preppy-up college kids and the street ball almost powerful Detroit Titans basketball team."

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

My friend lives in the bungalow on Muirland near 3 or 4 houses off of 7 mile. The area is a great place to live. Sure there is some crime but you can't beat the homes in the area. Hell, my friends who live in Ferndale have had their homes broken into.

^^^ Yes, one must to be mindful to prevent break ins no matter where you are, and especially Detroit. Preventative efforts can help, such as good lighting, steal doors, good bolts on doors, secure windows when away... etc. We have a block club as well and try to keep up with what is going on that way as well.

I guess I have a question, are there any good bars and hotspots around there? I know there is Ferndale but what about in the city? Like in EEV there are plenty of bars and restaurants in GP where people sometimes go but also a good amount on the eastside of the city.

All I can think of in the UD area is La Dolce Vita, Baker's, and 1917 American Bistro.

Quote Originally Posted by professorjackson View Post
    "A once a open to the public institution now a fenced up private quarters for preppy-up college kids and the street ball almost powerful Detroit Titans basketball team."

What the heck is that supposed to mean?
    It means that there is a big fence all around the campus, to keep out the detroiters who live nearby. This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    It means that there is a big fence all around the campus, to keep out the detroiters who live nearby. This is true.
    Kind of a wasted opportunity - look at how vibrant the area around Wayne State has become, largely due to Wayne's presence. It is a different dynamic though, with the area around U-D being single family homes though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast