Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DYes Headline News

Curious...the headlines put a post underneath to preview the thread. But it's not always the original poster in the thread, nor is it the most recent post.

How does the algorithm work?
    Just wondering - CY

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    How does the algorithm work?
    It uses the same algorithm that Bing uses to approach his week:

Random Number Generator picks number between 1 and 10, and whatever is chosen is what Bing goes with.

Case 1: Working with unions, concessions almost in place, financial crisis should be over soon

Case 2: Unions are uncooperative, financial crisis imminent

Case 3: I am excited to be the new EFM that Snyder will announce soon

Case 4: I have no desire to be the EFM

Case 5: A consent agreement will save the city

Case 6: I hate Snyder and he can take his consent agreement and shove it, we don't want an any outsider [[other than myself) running Detroit

Case 7: It's the council's fault

Case 8: Take the council's budget, and add expenditures

Case 9: Close a rec center

Case 10: Hope Dan Gilbert buys something and lay low

We built a setting that allows us to choose any post in the thread to be the snippet text for the headline.

This allows us to set a post more descriptive of the thread than the opening post may be.

Sometimes opening posts are only a few words and a link and we are left with white space.

Other times someone may write a stellar post that better encapsulates the subject and tone of the thread.

The goal is to make the headline news page capture the pulse of the forum and give an accurate feel for the threads, particularly for new visitors.