Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Birds chirping at night.

I have three places I sleep at night in Detroit. The past few nights since it got warm Ive noticed birds chirping at night at all three houses. This does not seem normal. Am I going crazy or have Detroit birds always chirped at night. It sounds like a bright sunny day outside at midnight.

OK, maybe this should have gone in Non-Detroit

I attended mass yesterday and the priest mentioned in his sermon that a bird started chirping at 1:30 AM and kept him up all night. That was at Sweetest Heart of Mary.

I think the earliest I've ever heard birds in the suburbs is around 5am, but I'm a pretty sound sleeper.

Edit: I did a search on this and one link stated that there is a correlation between daytime noise levels and birds singing at night. The birds chirp at night to avoid competing with the other noises during the daytime.
    Last edited by rjk; March-17-12 at 03:40 PM.

confused parrots? Bolivia 'd

I noticed them chirping at night last spring. We don't have excessive light around here, so it isn't that they are kept up thinking it's light out. They chirp a little bit, but they don't sing their full out territory song. I don't know which birds it is, either, we have cardinals and robins, sparrows and redwings, cowbirds and starlings.

I notice that geese on the ground will honk in the night during migration season, and have observed them seemingly directing flying geese to come down to their group on the ground. Maybe the songbirds are trying to help their comrades home in, or more than likely, stay out of their territory.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-17-12 at 03:53 PM.

I've heard mockingbirds sing before dawn. I don't think they get as far north as Michigan though.

Baby squirrels can sound like a bird but I don't know whether they chirp at night.

I attributed it to the change in weather, thought they started up around 5 or 6 in the morning, haven't heard them in the middle of the night. I'm happy they're singing, enough winter already.

Maybe, just maybe; they are demonstrating for longer bar open hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I have three places I sleep at night in Detroit. The past few nights since it got warm Ive noticed birds chirping at night at all three houses. This does not seem normal. Am I going crazy or have Detroit birds always chirped at night. It sounds like a bright sunny day outside at midnight.

OK, maybe this should have gone in Non-Detroit
    You need to stop sleeping around. LOL

Only when they're getting laid.

With all the strange weather, dead birds,falling, an global warming i thought i might have a new spiracy theory. Im not hearin them so much tonite.

You see once the birds make their nests, their next project is to fill it. There's really only one way to accomplish that and it sometimes happens during the evening hours. My human neighbors have the same thing going on. We've nicknamed them thumper and bumper.

And my....that bird can sing !

Its likely from the migration..birds migrate at mostly at night using the stars for Guidance

the Rencen sent out reminders 2 weeks ago to turn off floor lights and or shade the windows to prevent migrating birds from thinking that the lights are starts and flying into windows

Birds are on the move, they do it this time every year. The reason you hearing them is because its unseasonally warm and your windows are probably open.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Birds are on the move, they do it this time every year. The reason you hearing them is because its unseasonally warm and your windows are probably open.

My first thought was thats its because my windows are now open but I dont hear many birds chirping at night mid summer either.

Maybe it is migration, still seems odd.

Had a robin chirping in my yard all night last night. They usually start chirping around here at about 5am but this is the first time I've ever heard one chirp all night. Had to close my window but I could still here him.

I've noticed robins chirping at all hours in the spring for years. Perhaps a bit early this year, but no, it is not the birds announcing the prophecy of the coming 2012 apocalypse.

I too have heard robins chirping as early as 1:30 AM this spring. Also, this year I have been hearing killdeers in the wee hours of the morning for the first time. Many warm nights the past few years in Hamtramck, I've had the pleasure of hearing and seeing bats flying around the streetlight in front of my house.