Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Olga's Restaurant Coming to Downtown Detroit.

Guess who's coming to downtown Detroit ? You got It Olga's . Most of the regulars already knew . They are putting up their new sign . I took a picture on my phonebut I'm not sure how post post via phone ? Also BIG news they are putting a huge sign on the side of the building at Woodward and gratiot ,ala times square . Moving lights and everything ! 40 feet high ! This show REALLY change and light up lower Woodward

Edit this should really light up lower Woodward

Does anyone know how to post pictures via iPhone ? Send me a message thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Does anyone know how to post pictures via iPhone ? Send me a message thanks !
    Unfortunately iPhone does not have file explorer / finder to allow you to navigate to the pictures. Glaring ommission.

Damn, was right over that way today. Didn't think to check it out. Looking forward to the pics!

Taken on Friday:

Name:  IMG_0822.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  45.8 KB

:-[[ thanks Lowell, I was wondering if it was just me ? :-) I was trying like heck to post my pic via my Iphone and just couldn't figure it out !
    Detroit68 Thanks ! you beat me to it :-[[ I guess I will have to post my pics the old fashion way LOL ,on my computer via i photo, , I guess we are spoiled and want one less step to post :-)
    Keeping my eyes open for the new bigger sign on the side of the building .
    I hear it's really going to be cool and something not seen on lower woodward in decades .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    :-[[ thanks Lowell, I was wondering if it was just me ? :-) I was trying like heck to post my pic via my Iphone and just couldn't figure it out !
    Detroit68 Thanks ! you beat me to it :-[[ I guess I will have to post my pics the old fashion way LOL ,on my computer via i photo, , I guess we are spoiled and want one less step to post :-)
    Keeping my eyes open for the new bigger sign on the side of the building .
    I hear it's really going to be cool and something not seen on lower woodward in decades .
    What sign are you speaking of? On which side of the building?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    What sign are you speaking of? On which side of the building?
    Read the first post.

Awesome! I've frequented the Olga's in Canton quite a bit when visiting family/friends. So glad we are getting one downtown.

Thanks lol. So there's going to be a 40 ft. flashing Olga's sign on the side of the building..? Ok I guess?

I doubt the sign will be for Olga's. Note the use of "Also,"

Brings back the 1920's ugly all over again. Pre-depression many large buildings were covered with giant signage, even multi-story ones on rooftops. Might as well go back to having all of the electrcal wires up in the air. 30 years after that we can cover the buildings with metal facades that look like cheese graters.

What year did the Olga's in the RenCen close?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I doubt the sign will be for Olga's. Note the use of "Also,"

Brings back the 1920's ugly all over again. Pre-depression many large buildings were covered with giant signage, even multi-story ones on rooftops. Might as well go back to having all of the electrcal wires up in the air. 30 years after that we can cover the buildings with metal facades that look like cheese graters.
    Have you ever seen NYC 42nd street... covered in signage.... can't see a lot of the buildings, but the signs are in easy view...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:42...Nightscape.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    What year did the Olga's in the RenCen close?
    Olga's was a long-time tennant. I would assume it closed once the food court and higher-End service places opened [[Andiamo, Seldom Blues, Marriots Restraunts). This left little to no market for places like Olga's or Big Boy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Have you ever seen NYC 42nd street... covered in signage.... can't see a lot of the buildings, but the signs are in easy view...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:42...Nightscape.jpg
    I am not a big fan of that. With the newer LED signs they are far worse and distracting to the point of causing auto accidents. In Downtowns people may be so pre-occupied with the signage it becomes a bomm for pickpockets.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am not a big fan of that. With the newer LED signs they are far worse and distracting to the point of causing auto accidents. In Downtowns people may be so pre-occupied with the signage it becomes a bomm for pickpockets.
    On Michigan Ave. in Dearborn [[at Oakman) there's one particularly annoying LED sign that sticks out where the street narrows by 1 lane, and I got startled by the sudden brightness of the sign as it was changing images. Distracting is right....

Let's hope Olga's does it right and hires good employees that care about customer service and display professionalism. Too often the wrong type of employee is hired in these urban branches because the establishment tries to save money with staffing and you get a second class establishment in a chain that is known for quality. When this happens, the restaurant goes downhill, cuts back hours, staffing gets even worse because money is trying to be saved and the restaurant eventually "closes for remodeling" only to never open again. Sorry for the pesimism, but it seems like anything that opens in the city has an extra strike against it because the management team decides to hire a poor performing staff that only cares about when their next break is or when it's time to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Let's hope Olga's does it right and hires good employees that care about customer service and display professionalism. Too often the wrong type of employee is hired in these urban branches because the establishment tries to save money with staffing and you get a second class establishment in a chain that is known for quality. When this happens, the restaurant goes downhill, cuts back hours, staffing gets even worse because money is trying to be saved and the restaurant eventually "closes for remodeling" only to never open again. Sorry for the pesimism, but it seems like anything that opens in the city has an extra strike against it because the management team decides to hire a poor performing staff that only cares about when their next break is or when it's time to go home.
    I agree 1000%! Businesses and others "politician/city leaders" use this " Business as usual" mentality ONLY in Detroit. We can get away with murder without really caring how we treat employees and customer. ONLY in for the money "short term". Basically robbing us..it's ashame. Where are the true leader's and business owner's who actually cares, well Gilbert is one who does.

Let's hope Olga's Kitchen in Dowtown Detroit works. In a matter of fact it will. If Texas de Brazil and Hard Rock Cafe fills up to compacity during the weekends. The Olga's corp. picked a right hot spot for their restuarant.

Excited to see them open! Anyone have any hard news about this proposed digital board?

I don't think Downtown Detroit has much to worry about concerning billboards [[times square), we are light years away from that ,relax folks, It ain't going to be the FOX's marquee's sign LOL , also this is on a newer building that doesn't have a lot ascetic features , so not much lost there.

It's funny how it went from being a sign for the restaurant to a digital billboard ?, It's NOT going to be a digital billboard. just a sign for Olga's, lit and visual, that's all ,nothing more nothing less.

I hear the sign they putting up is a sign for Olga's , nothing too fancy but it will be lit and should stand out on that corner , think Hard Rock Cafe signage, just 40 ft.
    I'm thinking , their name vertical , I haven't seen it yet . I'm thinking something like Hard Rock Cafe ?

My point being, it's visual and besides the sign on the parking garage across the street"park" there isn't much animated lighting on lower woodward to grab you attention . Hopefully this will give a [[small) "spark" of excitement on lower woodward that you can see driving south on woodward from GCP.

I guess we'll all have to wait to see :-) It should be up in about two weeks they are finalizing the sign . all and all it's not that big of a deal , folks wont be taking pictures of it LOL ,but for Detroit it's something .
    It gives visitors and locals a visual clue and thought that ,??? maybe something is happening in downtown Detroit .

Quick side note ,if checkers bar and grill is worried about dago joes , then they must really be worried about Olga's

I saw a few guys measuring the Gratiot side wall next to Olgas and ask what's the plan there, he mention it will be a 40 ft. "Olgas" lit sign/billboard, similar to the Texas de Brazil billboard, not quite.

Interesting interior decor', "urban-chic"..sort of different from its other restaurants. It looks like a fun place to be seen at, love the hanging light fixture and open floor plan. It has a nice urban feel to it, I like it..they've out did themselves on this one.

Thanks for confirming gthomas. It does have that "urban-chic" feel, which it should, it's their downtown local so they should "show off" a little :-)
    I saw them interviewing folks the other day so they should be open very soon .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast