Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cars being Towed in Downtown Detroit

In typical Detroit fashion on a beautiful "holiday" weekend they are out ticking and towing cars behind the YMCA on broadway :-[[ welcome to Detroit !

Edit To my post they are towing on farmer right behind the ymca

Hey Dave, the scenario you describe is why eggs, wrist rockets and balconies were invented.

It's spring season for opening day in April.

No one is saying if the cars are legally or illegally parked. If parked legal, then wtf? If parked illegal, owners responseable for being dumb.

With all the problems the city has, why on earth don't they lighten up on the parking downtown? I'm not saying to stop writing tickets, but, the metermaids driving around terrorizing people with tickets and towing is stupid. You want people downtown, dining, shopping, going to events, ect, why make parking such a huge issue? Just lighten up, like they do in other cities.

Parking Wars [[Detroit and Philly editions) are right up there with Hoarders as a choice offer on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Parking Wars [[Detroit and Philly editions) are right up there with Hoarders as a choice offer on TV.
    Throw in Hard Core Pawn and you have the Trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Throw in Hard Core Pawn and you have the Trifecta.
    Yes, add three bottles of Sleeman's beer [[red) and a bag of Doritos and you're all set.

You people piss and moan about the state of Detroit [[and rightfully so). So when Detroit finally acts like a real city instead of some semi-anarchist, third world thunderdome, you get all uppity.

What do you want? A real functioning city that does what other cities do or one that is the state it currently sits?

...just another reason why Detroit hasn't moved forward inover 40 years...even the residents don't know what a real city is to live in anymore.

Good point GOAT. Why is this even being posted? There are plenty of signs in most places about how, where, when, and who to pay for parking.

I think what has some people mad is the new ramping up of the towing. We're not talking about just towing of those in NON-PARKING areas, but if you are at a meter and it expires, instead of just the ticket, they run your plate and if they get a hit that you owe an outstanding ticket, on goes the boot, then the tow truck. Procrastination of paying parking tickets, gets your car towed.

One of my cousins owe an old parking ticket and got an official notice on beige paper signed off by City of Detroit 'Legal Councel'.... pay the ticket or license to be suspended and car booted.

Most people respond and pay, but those who do not...? Well there's gonna be a large inventory of confiscated cars in the Detroit car impound lots of those who just throw in the towel and forfeit it all and do not pay the fees and the original towing ticket price.

HI Goat and adamjab19 I'm not really moaning, just something that bugged me . The reason I am posting this is the city of Detroit is not consistent with it's parking rules[[they are getting better). And it's not fair to the people who visit the city who are not aware when they see other cars park at the spots on the street and think it's ok . I know they should read more carefully, it does say no "standing"
    For the longest time there were no signs, then they put in the no standing signs, but didn't enforce, until there is a big event or big weekend .[[revenue generator )
    If the city really didn't want people parking on farmer, they would put no parking anytime , or no parking towing . The Ymca was busy with people coming into town for a movie screening and a kids baseball camp, plus all the folks coming into town for St.Patricks day. imagine coming out and your cars gone ?
    I can see a ticket but towing ? really ? come on . It doesn't effect me , I know the drill however , I think it sends a mixed/bad message.
    I've lived in several city,[[LA)[[SF),[[Rome,It)ect with very restrictive parking.
    My lesson with Detroit parking enforcement was on Russell st bridge near eastern market .
    I was running into Germack to pick up something on a Tuesday morning .
    I was only in for no more than two mins because I was in a hurry, so I just parked on the bridge. I come out and parking enforcement was behind my car so I ran over to my car and told her I'm about to leave . she says I've already started writing the ticket . I asked her why? she says "there is no parking on a freeway bridge" I say "are you serious ? people park here ever Saturday all day !" she says " yes but this is the weekday" wtf ! AND there are no signs on the bridge. I just smile and told her to have a nice day .
    Now I understand that you arent' allow to park on a freeway bridge I get it , but if they were so gun ho about it why not enforce it on Saturday, we all know the answer, MONEY with folks coming down on the weekends LOL
    long story short I paid it and early so they only got 10 bucks :-)
    Ok I'll get off my soap box lol :-)
    have a great day ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Good point GOAT. Why is this even being posted? There are plenty of signs in most places about how, where, when, and who to pay for parking.
    Some places, not all. Since they've put in the new meters, many of the old signs are gone. If you want to know what the restrictions are, you have to get out of your car, find the single meter on the block that accepts your money, and read the fine print of what hours are enforced and the length of time you can park there. The days of finding a good two-hour meter by driving around the block and reading the signs are gone.

I have to say that I don't understand your point. If you are parked illegally then you should expect to be ticketed and towed. How is this original to Detroit? Newsflash from someone who leaves the state regularly, they do it everywhere. Have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    In typical Detroit fashion on a beautiful "holiday" weekend they are out ticking and towing cars behind the YMCA on broadway :-[[ welcome to Detroit !

thanks Goat, you put it perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You people piss and moan about the state of Detroit [[and rightfully so). So when Detroit finally acts like a real city instead of some semi-anarchist, third world thunderdome, you get all uppity.

What do you want? A real functioning city that does what other cities do or one that is the state it currently sits?

...just another reason why Detroit hasn't moved forward inover 40 years...even the residents don't know what a real city is to live in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    I have to say that I don't understand your point. If you are parked illegally then you should expect to be ticketed and towed. How is this original to Detroit? Newsflash from someone who leaves the state regularly, they do it everywhere. Have a nice day.
    Newsflash! Other cities aren't Detroit, most other cities have downtown areas where people actually want to go.

Newsflash! It's being said that Detroit wants to get more people downtown to shop, dine, socialize, ect. The heavy-handed parking situation with metermaids chasing people around happens to be a big detraction to all that, how about trying something like a couple of free hours in city owned lots like other cities do - since you leave this state regularly, you've probably noticed that. You have a nice day too.

And like I said on the last thread on this topic, this isn't about parking violations, it's about generating revenue. The more they tow, the more they collect.

My favorite is the car that keeps illegally parking in the dedicated right turn lane for NB Randolf to EB Madison. They park right at the corner. However, this car never gets towed. Why? Because of a sheet of paper in the drivers window that says:

"CITY OF DETROIT OFFICIAL BUSINESS"

Apparently you can park where ever the hell you want if you work for the city, including in traffic lanes.

It's tough for me to get on board with complaining about the city using a way to generate revenue that is legal both in the letter and in the spirit of the law. If you don't want to get a parking ticket, pay the meter. If you don't want to get towed, then pay your outstanding parking tickets.

Dunno. Am I oversimplifying this?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Newsflash! Other cities aren't Detroit, most other cities have downtown areas where people actually want to go.

Newsflash! It's being said that Detroit wants to get more people downtown to shop, dine, socialize, ect. The heavy-handed parking situation with metermaids chasing people around happens to be a big detraction to all that, how about trying something like a couple of free hours in city owned lots like other cities do - since you leave this state regularly, you've probably noticed that. You have a nice day too.
    No...no...no.

Those other places "where people actually want to go" have higher meter rates.

Enforcement of the rules is the same. No exceptions. Metered parking in Detroit is dirt cheap, so it's not an issue.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

One of my cousins owe an old parking ticket and got an official notice on beige paper signed off by City of Detroit 'Legal Councel'.... pay the ticket or license to be suspended and car booted.

Most people respond and pay, but those who do not...? Well there's gonna be a large inventory of confiscated cars in the Detroit car impound lots of those who just throw in the towel and forfeit it all and do not pay the fees and the original towing ticket price.
    I got one of those mailed to me last week and I didn't even know I had a ticket issued to me. How am I suppose to pay a ticket if I never received one?

When I called and said that, they said it's not their problem. I told them if I really do have a ticket that I didn't know about, I will pay the ticket right now, but I'm not paying the $50 in late fees. They said "you can't do that". So I told them to go F themselves, and I tossed their legal department statement in the trash.

Yeah, the beige stationary fancy 'legal' notification notice from the Detroit "Legal" Department. Only problem, you'll note if you dig it out of the trash, it states that you will NOT be able to renew your drivers license UNLESS you pay within 10 days!

But as my cousin noted, the thing came 5 days after that date! She just mailed in the payment so as to go off the city and state "wanted list".

The state is supposedly being notified to put 'holds' on all drivers license via the Secretary of State of Michigan. As though you have a live "warrant" on your record!

This will be enforced for certain when Detroit goes under an EFM. The notice also states that your car is marked for 'booting' unless the ticket is paid.

I'd go down to the Detroit Parking folks down on Howard street and see what adjustments you can make in person. Never talk to a government [["cainn I hepp you") snarler on the phone! You may have to pay. Or not drive. Yeah it's pretty ugly.

Michigan will slap a drivers in the butt with a $500 Drivers Responsibility fee for infractions that other states do not.

So the "state" is now the strong arm of the Detroit's parking enforcement.

So glad I am currently parking ticket free.... I work hard not to get 'em. I let get late fees tacked on tickets in the past. Now if I get a ticket, I pay with the 10 day window where you can take $10 off.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-12 at 08:03 AM.

I understand the function of the meter maids, where there is an actual demand for parking, but they don't need to be at Michigan/Junction, Chester/Morang, or 7 Mile/Evergreen where I've seen them writing tickets in recent years.

Hah! They are scowering the city looking primarily for 'bootable' cars [[cars with outstanding tickets or other issues).

The city auction should be quite full this year. I've seen meter folks on side streets where they were never before. But they cannot come up into private driveways.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast