Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Quicken move - Crains Detroit

I tried to search for this thread, I know there is a Quicken Loans thread but the internet wouldn't load the search option.

Anyhow, I was on the CrainsDetroit website and I went to the Rumblings tab. I came across this article RUMBLINGS: Quicken deal to move may come soon . The problem is, I am not a subscriber and therefore I cannot read the article. Can anyone access the article and post the contents to this thread?

I don't think Crains would appreciate that.

Do you ask people to post stolen music files on here, too?

I do think Crain's is foolish for not providing a teaser or an abstract of the articles behind their pay wall. I bet they'd get more subscriptions if people had a sense of what they were missing.

I did read the article, but I won't post it. However, I can summarize what I read this morning about the quicken move--and that was basically nothing. There was no concrete reporting on it, just some rumors from people in the "real estate community" that Quicken is moving into an existing building downtown.

btw, Bshea--I love Crains for what it does, but I also agree that the lack of free introductory content on the website [[kind of like the WSJ) prevents a great number of people from being interested in what Crains DOES report well and this results in fewer viewers seeing your advertisements.
    Last edited by scuola; June-15-09 at 01:51 PM.

I do think Crain's is foolish for not providing a teaser or an abstract of the articles behind their pay wall. I bet they'd get more subscriptions if people had a sense of what they were missing.

We do tease things. Generally not Rumblings because they're not the meaty news for which people seek us out. We can't tease everything in every issue. I also think we choose not to bombard non-subscribers with annoying e-versions of those subscription cards that are constantly falling out of magazines.

That said, I do plan to suggest we do more targeted promotional teasing of what people are not missing by not subscribing. Perhaps there's a clever, compact way of teasing multiple things to an audience that would be receptive to such things.

Our audience is not the same general audience as the News/Freep, obviously.

I did read the article, but I won't post it. However, I can summarize what I read this morning about the quicken move--and that was basically nothing. There was no concrete reporting on it, just some rumors from people in the "real estate community" that Quicken is moving into an existing building downtown.

Keep in mind, it was a Rumbling, not a full story. What's where we report the chatter from the plugged-in sources in the community. Sometimes, we're told things we can't attribute and build a full story around, so that's the perfect time to pen a rumbling -- it gets the "news" out there in a fashion. And the sources involved are solid sources, who are privvy to what we're talking about.

btw, Bshea--I love Crains for what it does, but I also agree that the lack of free introductory content on the website [[kind of like the WSJ) prevents a great number of people from being interested in what Crains DOES report well and this results in fewer viewers seeing your advertisements.

There is free content on the site. But the best stuff you have to pay for. Daily Web stories are always free, but content from the print edition you must pay for. That's kept us somewhat out of the morass faced by the dailies. People want to pay for what we have to offer. That's the advantage of a niche publication like us.

the building they will be moving to is the Compuware building, about 1000 employees according to the article. I created a free account with Crains and I can access all their news articles, I have not given them my credit card info anything. So I suggest signing up

Yes, anyone can create a free account. But the articles with the $ next to them require a subscription. I thought that included Rumblings, but maybe not. Obviously, I have full access but don't subscribe since I work there.

Sometimes, they have free weeks where anyone can access all content, as a way to show people what they can get.

croweblack Guest

If you are looking for puff pieces with quotes from developers automatically accepted as a fact then crain's is your place

however it is not a place that digs for facts and searches for the truth regarding the Detroit real estate market

example: Book Cadillac condos especially that million dollar unit

Crain's: "Okay Mr. Ferchill[[sp?) yep only a few units remain"

Ferchill: "Get em while they are Hot!!! You can forget about the million dollar unit that is GONE!!!!!"

What a joke I always thought Crain's was an actual magazine/newspaper with actual journalism in it but it is no bettter than Model D.

oh and by the way-- anybody remember that insert crain's had in one issue where "research" showed midtown had a median sale value of $300,000.00?

Quote Originally Posted by croweblack View Post
    If you are looking for puff pieces with quotes from developers automatically accepted as a fact then crain's is your place

however it is not a place that digs for facts and searches for the truth regarding the Detroit real estate market

example: Book Cadillac condos especially that million dollar unit

Crain's: "Okay Mr. Ferchill[[sp?) yep only a few units remain"

Ferchill: "Get em while they are Hot!!! You can forget about the million dollar unit that is GONE!!!!!"

What a joke I always thought Crain's was an actual magazine/newspaper with actual journalism in it but it is no bettter than Model D.

oh and by the way-- anybody remember that insert crain's had in one issue where "research" showed midtown had a median sale value of $300,000.00?
    ??????????????????????

While I don't know exactly when the move will occur, you can count on Quicken moving to Compuware.

So you're saying the Rumbling is wrong? Or just spouting?

croweblack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post

So you're saying the Rumbling is wrong? Or just spouting?
    no not at all. Its just that Crain's has been so far off with regards to actual events and/or conditions of the real estate market one has to wonder whether they are reporting facts that have been verified or whether they are in the same vein as model D which would NEVER have anything remotley negative in it regarding how bad the real estate market truly is in detroit.

so I guess my answer is: spouting!!!

Its just that Crain's has been so far off with regards to actual events and/or conditions of the real estate market one has to wonder whether they are reporting facts that have been verified or whether they are in the same vein as model D which would NEVER have anything remotley negative in it regarding how bad the real estate market truly is in detroit.

Um, are you a subscriber? We've had story after story about the problems in the commercial real estate market, and those stories cite reputable industry sources and analysts. There is both good and bad news to report, and we report both. While many people seem to think all is bad, people are still buying, selling, leasing space. Some are losing their asses, others are making money. And we report it.

In fact, here's one about potential problems at One Kennedy from May 31: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...UB01/305319915

I hope that this isn't true about the Compuware building, I had always hoped that Quicken Loans would move into an older, existing building, that is having major trouble finding tenants, such as the Book Tower.

The Book Tower isn't conducive to a modern corporate environment. The best thing that could happen to the Book Tower would be apartments or condos.

Perhaps, but one would think that at least ONE of these abandoned office buildings would be.

1001 Woodward would work...

Ill paraphrase the article for you. It isn't that interesting by the way

PARAGRAPH 1: This is rumored to be week Quicken's building announced [[jun 14th)
    PARAGRAPH2: MEGA is meeting
    PARAGRAPH3: MEDC and Compuware say no announcement, "insiders" say otherwise
    PARAGRAPH4: Potentially move 1,000 to campus martius area. Renting not building new